Why haven't any of you doll fuckers started a Game of Thrones topic?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I started watching the series from the beginning last night, have seen that first episode in a very long time. It's crazy how different the show feels and watches vs where it is now.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I started watching the series from the beginning last night, have seen that first episode in a very long time. It's crazy how different the show feels and watches vs where it is now.

I feel like this might be one of the rare instances where the first few seasons might be ruined by future seasons (like how nerds complain, "____ is ruined," except this time it's true) because of stuff like Bran's storyline. I remember how intriguing (and annoying) Bran's storyline was because of how mysterious it was, and what it meant for him. As it turns out, it was all a complete waste. It was all for nothing.

All he turned out to be was man's memory, whatever tf that means. Pretty sure Westeros already has one of those, it's called the Citadel.

Also, pretty sure I'm coming across as aspie itt. Horrible way to find out. This show keeps the disappointment coming even in real life.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I feel like this might be one of the rare instances where the first few seasons might be ruined by future seasons (like how nerds complain, "____ is ruined," except this time it's true) because of stuff like Bran's storyline. I remember how intriguing (and annoying) Bran's storyline was because of how mysterious it was, and what it meant for him. As it turns out, it was all a complete waste. It was all for nothing.

All he turned out to be was man's memory, whatever tf that means. Pretty sure Westeros already has one of those, it's called the Citadel.

Also, pretty sure I'm coming across as aspie itt. Horrible way to find out. This show keeps the disappointment coming even in real life.

According to the new predators movie, being aspie is an evolved stage of humankind. So rejoice?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
World Building and creating interesting story-lines is always easiser than carrying them on and closing them out. Thus why comic book movies keep getting rebooted.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
World Building and creating interesting story-lines is always easiser than carrying them on and closing them out. Thus why comic book movies keep getting rebooted.

You know, I completely agree. The punch line is often botched with such deep and epic tales.

At this point, with where the various writers have taken the GoT show, there isn't a single outcome that I can fathom that will fix the damage done.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
What a sad loss of time that will never be recouped. Maybe take the opportunity to watch Barry and make up for it.

I started watching Barry, I hear it gets better in season 2, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to get that far. I dig the references to Cleveland though with the WMMS t-shirt I saw Hader wore.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I was going to rewatch the entire series once it is over, simply because the first few seasons are so good.

But I just can't now. So many plot lines turns out to be pointless and that makes it too painful to rewatch, we can't pretend that all the drama was a complete waste of time (Hodor, just no).

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
It's not a Dexter-tier clusterfuck ending, but the huge downturn in quality in the last couple of seasons is going to tarnish the show's legacy in the long run. Instead of "oh, that was a great show" it's gonna be "oh, that show was great for a while."

Kinda of like X-Files, now that I think about it.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
What I find most dissappointing is that in 3 episodes... they wipe out the biggest threat to their Kingdom...

It's pretty much a forced ending... and now after Season 7... I am slowly losing interest...

I just want to see Cersai die... and Jon to finally find his wolf is a shape-shifting woman and the ending will be perfect for the writers...

xROTx

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Kinda of like X-Files, now that I think about it.

Or lost. That show had one good season and the rest was garbage. Then the ending? Fuck. I don't even think GOT can be that bad, but it will definitely be a contender.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
As much of a disappointment the show may seem, it's kind of "not that bad."

Yeah, they fucked up Azor Ahai. They coddled the wrong fan groups (the arya perverts and brienne perverts). They're going ahead with clegane bowl. Or that the very rules that GRRM created around life and death of characters, the notion of causality, and consequences for making really bad decisions, scuttled completely as Bronn knocks Jaime out of the dragon's fire blast. But if you can put aside the notion of the books as sacred, and accept that this show is really David and DB's, I guess it's fine.

At least we don't get all those scenes in Sunspear with sandsnakes from the book that were super boring and made no sense. And we're not dealing with the super boring Victarion scenes. You know why GRRM can't finish his books? Because it's a fucking mess right now. In a few years we may be lucky to compare which between the last season of the show and the last book disappoints more.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I kind of think GRRM's going to feel like he has no choice but to end the books differently than however the show ends, regardless of what he might have done left to his own devices. The reaction to the end of the series is going to be negative, pretty clearly, and that's going to follow everything GoT for a while. He's going to feel like he has to prove that he can do better than D and D could. No Arya out of nowhere to kill the Night King, no 360 no-scope Rhaegal kill by Euron, no forgetting the Iron Fleet, this list is about to be way too long.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
GRRM has already gone on record as saying he won't change how he writes the story based on how fans react to things or whenever they accurately predict something via theorycrafting. He's already specifically stated that it would be more disingenuous to change things just for the sake of surprise. He'll live and die by his decisions as a writer.

So expect some of these Season 8 things to still be in the books. But I'm fairly confident it will not feel quite as rushed.

Which, IMO, is the only real problem with this season; everything feels like it's happening too fast.

Well, that and how they tragically fucked up Jon Snow's entire character to the point where it seems like they resent even having to include him in anything.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
GRRM has already gone on record as saying he won't change how he writes the story based on how fans react to things or whenever they accurately predict something via theorycrafting. He's already specifically stated that it would be more disingenuous to change things just for the sake of surprise. He'll live and die by his decisions as a writer.

That's actually very reassuring. I might go ahead and get into the books now that the show has turned to shite

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I can't believe you guys still think the books are coming out.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
As much of a disappointment the show may seem, it's kind of "not that bad."

Yeah, they fucked up Azor Ahai. They coddled the wrong fan groups (the arya perverts and brienne perverts). They're going ahead with clegane bowl. Or that the very rules that GRRM created around life and death of characters, the notion of causality, and consequences for making really bad decisions, scuttled completely as Bronn knocks Jaime out of the dragon's fire blast. But if you can put aside the notion of the books as sacred, and accept that this show is really David and DB's, I guess it's fine.

At least we don't get all those scenes in Sunspear with sandsnakes from the book that were super boring and made no sense. And we're not dealing with the super boring Victarion scenes. You know why GRRM can't finish his books? Because it's a fucking mess right now. In a few years we may be lucky to compare which between the last season of the show and the last book disappoints more.

How did they fuck up Azor Ahai? If Jon stabs Dany in the chest it's still pretty much in line with it.

It's pretty obvious to me why they did Arya killing the Night King. They knew that Dany going nuts and getting killed would be a massive downer for feminist weirdos, so they decided to inject some extra girl power into the mix in a pathetic attempt to offset it.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I can't believe you guys still think the books are coming out.

Until it's confirmed they're not being published, any speculation to the contrary is wind. Martin has even said the next book is coming out.

Now, if you want to say he's slacking in his responsibilities, I'm all on board with that. Fucker has been sidetracked with Sad Puppies and football and convention appearances and that's on him.

But I refuse to believe a consummate writer like Martin, who has invested so much of himself into this series, would simply walk away from it and not make a formal announcement.

So you might be right. Maybe the books will never come out. And I say this with all due respect but 'you know nothing, Lastblade.'

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It's pretty obvious to me why they did Arya killing the Night King. They knew that Dany going nuts and getting killed would be a massive downer for feminist weirdos, so they decided to inject some extra girl power into the mix in a pathetic attempt to offset it.

Yes, but is that good writing?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Yes, but is that good writing?

Naevia killing Ashur in Spartacus: Vengeance is the right way to subvert and surprise while still providing a payoff. She had skin in that game.

But when you continually misdirect and welcome a million different interpretations of a prophecy that the story has been building to, you're not even setting up a payoff. How can the audience even care when the end result is 'whatever, at least it ended with a win.'

Burlington Bar trash tier fanfiction.

Could have been awesome if set up properly. But it wasn't.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Dragons extinct for over a hundred years, come back to life, and then one of them is used by the Night King and the other killed by some jackass, Dollar Store Jack Sparrow.

They got shit done in Essos but Westeros? There was that awesome battle where they destroyed the carts and wagons, and then...?

It is still nuts to me we waited two years for this season. The actors are doing the best they can and are top-notch, and looking at interviews with them I feel they are as unsatisfied as we are. Of course they can never say how they truly feel because it's bad for business, but read between the lines and that tension is there.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Naevia killing Ashur in Spartacus: Vengeance is the right way to subvert and surprise while still providing a payoff. She had skin in that game.

But when you continually misdirect and welcome a million different interpretations of a prophecy that the story has been building to, you're not even setting up a payoff. How can the audience even care when the end result is 'whatever, at least it ended with a win.'

Burlington Bar trash tier fanfiction.

Could have been awesome if set up properly. But it wasn't.

Skin in the game is interesting in that I would not use that to describe Arya Stark and the battle against the Night King. That wasn’t her fight. He wasn’t on her list. He wasn’t a reason that her family members died. And we don’t know if the Night King ever wanted to hurt a single start, or if he just wanted to tell Bran to stop stalking him.