WTB AES System

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Nice question, I believe "AES" stands for Advanced Entertainment System, thats how the home System is called in Japan, well..... at least in Yahoo Auctions Japan.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
It says it on the CD system too, they're both an "AES" right? And the "NGH" numbers on the spine mean nothing of course. Never called it one, never will.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

Term describing cartridges for the Neo Geo home system (also known as home carts). Stands for Advanced Entertainment System. The term originally described the system itself: the English language logo for the Neo Geo had “Advanced Entertainment System” stamped between the Neo and Geo -fulfilling the Japanese love for adding superlatives to their product descriptions. The term has now become a popular short hand for describing a Home Cartridge (i.e. “I traded my Robo Army CD for his Metal Slug 3 AES because he was a fucking idiot.”). AES carts are not compatible with the arcade (MVS) system (except by conversion). Alternatively described as "NGH" games.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The use of "AES" as a name for the homecart systems originally came from the fact that the American gaming public got re-educated by Nintendo and their NES after the big video game crash of 1983/84. The NES and Nintendo became household names, that's why the "entertainment system" part simply stuck and manufacturers followed suit by putting it on their machines.

However, nobody over at SNK Japan ever called the home system "AES", there are several interviews with SNK developers and managers who, when asked about the "AES", had to ask what it means because they had never heard or used the term before (and probably after).

Whether or not tanning bed victim Dion coined the term "AES" for the home system is debatable and quite frankly a moot question because if there is one guy who definitely has fuck all to say on the matter it's his greek-rooted NGF self-proclaimed rubber-stamping moolesty Dakis and his humble friend Chris who were but a footnote in the Neo's history, and a rabid stinky one I might add.

So, civilized people call it homecart system, home system, neo-0, ROM sisdem, whatever, just not "AES". This is not a friggin Nintendo, after all.

Thank you for reading, and good night from yours truly, Tak Entertainment System (C).

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
However, nobody over at SNK Japan ever called the home system "AES", there are several interviews with SNK developers and managers who, when asked about the "AES", had to ask what it means because they had never heard or used the term before (and probably after).

Makes sense, proof that YAJ is full of western resellers/ scalpers, since practically every single Home System listed there use the "AES" acronym in their title.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
Makes sense, proof that YAJ is full of western resellers/ scalpers, since practically every single Home System listed there use the "AES" acronym in their title.
Tak said SNK Japan, not the wider general Japanese public 30 years into the future.

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Whether or not tanning bed victim Dion coined the term "AES" for the home system is debatable and quite frankly a moot question because if there is one guy who definitely has fuck all to say on the matter it's his greek-rooted NGF self-proclaimed rubber-stamping moolesty Dakis and his humble friend Chris who were but a footnote in the Neo's history, and a rabid stinky one I might add.

Sadly the dhp archive seems to now be gone. Which is a shame as it was a great place before the NGF meltdown.

Sure Dion is absolute scum. That has no bearing on whether he did something or not. I distinctly remember threads about the term coming up on dhp several times and Dion really being the one to push on it, as he does on everything he gets behind.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
BTW I hav e contacted ""CKchan""" and shipping a bare system + NGCD pad+PSU, AV cable to Uruguay South America costs $500+USD!! Isn't here any known proxy seller in mainland China who can buy this for me??

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
BTW I hav e contacted ""CKchan""" and shipping a bare system + NGCD pad+PSU, AV cable to Uruguay South America costs $500+USD!! Isn't here any known proxy seller in mainland China who can buy this for me??
Maybe consider moving to a 1st world country.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this your first Eh Eee Ess or are you replacing a broken one?

If you don’t have any Neo system currently it’s best to not get one. If this price freaks you out then what are you going to do about games? Even the flash carts for Neo are like $1000.

If you’re a OG with an existing collection to play and you’re replacing a broken one then just replace/fix what’s broken.

Complaining that the most fringe system ever made costs too much…makes zero sense, a self inflicted wound. It only gets worse. The home system itself is cheap compared to what being a home cart collectard actually costs.

“I could afford a Ferrari if I could just swing the insurance…” is something someone says when they haven’t thought about it very much and don’t know that the maintenance, the brakes, the tires, small fender benders, and a fundamental unreliability will make any level of Ferrari ownership impossible for anyone on anything like a real budget.

If you care what it costs then it costs too much.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

Have you asked him about sending it surface mail? It would be cheaper. Or maybe get a few games alongside that AES to spread the postage cost between more purchases.

Ckchan is a respected seller, don’t diss him dude. His postage prices are honest. Postage is just fucking bullshit now, it cost me £25 to send 1 game to Canada this week.

His homecart prices are outrageous
I disagree, he’s lower than ebay but sometimes a bit higher than forum prices. It isn’t 2017 anymore.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The use of "AES" as a name for the homecart systems originally came from the fact that the American gaming public got re-educated by Nintendo and their NES after the big video game crash of 1983/84. The NES and Nintendo became household names, that's why the "entertainment system" part simply stuck and manufacturers followed suit by putting it on their machines.

So, civilized people call it homecart system, home system, neo-0, ROM sisdem, whatever, just not "AES". This is not a friggin Nintendo, after all.

Thank you for reading, and good night from yours truly, Tak Entertainment System (C).
This some real Mandela effect shit.

Edit: -STEEN club

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Is this your first Eh Eee Ess or are you replacing a broken one?

If you don’t have any Neo system currently it’s best to not get one. If this price freaks you out then what are you going to do about games? Even the flash carts for Neo are like $1000.
A home system with a NeoSD. That would be my recommended setup if I had to start over. Worth it. But I don't want to discourage buying the real carts.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to “start over” I’d just use Mednafen or whatever the current thing is.