Where is the push to get known protos released and reproduced?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Could we have a Ghostlop Neogeo CD conversion ?
The only games that can be easily converted to CD are the ones that are small enough to fit into a single load. No one has volunteered to put the work into reprogramming a game for mid-game loads. Not worth it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The best option is to buy the cart and dump it. Maybe if more of us showed interest in these games there would be a better chance of sharing. With the attitude I'm hearing from you and others now, I'm not surprised nothing gets done. It's a miracle Ghostlop is out there, and that had to happen by nefarious means.

I like Ironclad and Crossed Swords 2.

The Ghostlop story was different, I wish people would stop mentioning it in here.

And it's not that we haven't tried to lay our hands on protos and release the dumps but the die-hard proto collectors were always quicker. It's neither a matter of attitude nor money but the right insider info. Being a member of certain elusive circles helps as well.

So no, community-buying a proto cart is NOT an option for us normal Neo fans. Ever read some of the proto infos we got during the past few years? Whenever we got them, the protos already were under lock and key in some secret collector's proto vault, never to be seen again.

So maybe this idea of yours could become reality if there weren't so many greedy fucks who desperatedly want a shiny new piece of more-worth-than-your-carts proto and once have it in their hands, go to great extends to keep it away from interested gamers.

Attitude? Humbug.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The Ghostlop story was different, I wish people would stop mentioning it in here.
Stop mentioning the story or the game itself? Because it seems like some people don't even want to talk about the game. That's just wrong because it's one of my favorite games.

Before I knew it surfaced as something someone was trying to profit from, I thought Ghostlop was one of the most wonderful successes that had happened to the community during my time away from it. I'm really happy the game got out there, regardless. Hell, I'll be happy if someone comes forward trying to sell $600 copies of Sunshine. That's better than the game never getting out at all. At least then we'd have a chance to play it. That's all I care about, getting a chance to play these lost Neo games. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the only way we'll get anything is if someone's got something to gain. Otherwise all I see is lethargy.

Last edited:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Stop mentioning the story or the game itself? Because it seems like some people don't even want to talk about the game. That's just wrong because it's one of my favorite games.

Before I knew it surfaced as something someone was trying to profit from, I thought Ghostlop was one of the most wonderful successes that had happened to the community during my time away from it. I'm really happy the game got out there, regardless. Hell, I'll be happy if someone comes forward trying to sell $600 copies of Sunshine. That's better than the game never getting out at all. At least then we'd have a chance to play it. That's all I care about, getting a chance to play these lost Neo games. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the only way we'll get anything is if someone's got something to gain. Otherwise all I see is lethargy.

+1 on Ghostlop being worthwhile.
And I'm glad someone else sees Wasabi's posts for what they are: trolling.

Not that it gets most people in this thread what they want, but any news of another round of production of Ghostlop carts?

Also, am I crazy, or is the owner of the site neogeoprotos.com a advocate of dumping roms and making carts of these games available? Or is he trying to horde games himself, too?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Ghostlop is a nice game, that's not the point.

The way it came to light and finally got distributed just was too special to mention it in the same breath as the other more obscure protos, that's why I wish people would stop using it as an example of how things could be done proto-wise.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Takumaji- I'm with ya.... It sounds like we're gonna need to go raid some houses. Let's see what we have:
LB has a proto cart Fun Fun Bros.
Xacrow has Dunk Star in some form.
Last Oddyssey and Bang Bead may be with Billy Pitt. He has a Bang Bead proto, and claims to have some sort of playable Last Oddyssey.
Billy Pitt was the one who made Ghostlop available, right? or was that someone else before him?

Someone, for the love of God, explain whether Billy Pitt is a hero of the proto community who has made games available, or is one of the pricks keeping games locked in a vault.

Clessy

Banned
None of the known protos are of any interest to me. That mark 2 looked cool but I thought that was confirmed fake.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Not that it gets most people in this thread what they want, but any news of another round of production of Ghostlop carts?
You can just make one. There are people here who make them. I have a Diggerman too.

Last Oddyssey and Bang Bead may be with Billy Pitt. He has a Bang Bead proto, and claims to have some sort of playable Last Oddyssey.
Bang Bead was released in Europe. I own one.

Glad to see your enthusiasm for this topic.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Takumaji- I'm with ya.... It sounds like we're gonna need to go raid some houses. Let's see what we have:
LB has a proto cart Fun Fun Bros.
Xacrow has Dunk Star in some form.
Billy Pitt was the one who made Ghostlop available, right? or was that someone else before him?

Someone, for the love of God, explain whether Billy Pitt is a hero of the proto community who has made games available, or is one of the pricks keeping games locked in a vault.

I don't know Billy Pitt in person but from what I've read so far, he seems to be genuinely interested in the Neo and the games/protos. Use the search function if you want to know more, that's what it's there for. ng.com is full of proto babble... :)

There are many shades between black and white, you know.

Btw., here's a bit of Ghostlop reading for you:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48079
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87346

mmsadda

10 Year Member
You can just make one. There are people here who make them. I have a Diggerman too.

Bang Bead was released in Europe. I own one.

Glad to see your enthusiasm for this topic.

:) Until the past couple months, I'd been out of the Neo scene since... well... some time before the final releases. I've probably said this on here before, but the last time I was really into the Neo scene, I was a kid, and didn't have the means to buy any carts that sold for more than $100.... Now... if I can do anything to help Neo games get their release, I'll do it. Hell, if I hadn't been stupid enough to say I'd break into someone's house to steal a game or two, I'd actually consider it :buttrock:

Who do you think is the least expensive Ghostlop producer here?

I saw a BIN on eBay for $450 or so for Ghostlop and Diggerman; that's a little rich for my blood, considering any proto carts I'd buy would inherently be boots. Also, what is the full backstory of Diggerman?

You own a Bang Bead? From what I saw on Billy Pitt's page, only a handful of known copies exist! Is there truth to this? How'd you manage to obtain yours, how much did you have to pay, etc?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What dumped protos have you played? Unfortunately I'm not as hot on roms as I was back in '96 so please enlighten me on what is out there these days. If they are already dumped then they are ready to be reproduced. :rolleyes:

Ghostlop and Zupapa on emulators, Zentrick, ironclad and crossed swords 2 on the neo CD emulators - and none of them would be worth paying money for in my opinion.

Why would someone want to reproduce something like roms into a tangible form for money when it's virtually free on the net? You want to buy another game to sit on your shelf or something? Maybe you want to sac some carts and sell a few for $600 a piece, using this site as your marketplace?

If you haven't been hot on the roms since '96, then I doubt you've ever been into the neo geo rom scene, because that didn't get into gear until 98/99, as larger games became emulated. Maybe you should look back into it and play those protos that are available. See how long the affection lasts.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Ghostlop and Zupapa on emulators, Zentrick, ironclad and crossed swords 2 on the neo CD emulators - and none of them would be worth paying money for in my opinion.

Why would someone want to reproduce something like roms into a tangible form for money when it's virtually free on the net? You want to buy another game to sit on your shelf or something? Maybe you want to sac some carts and sell a few for $600 a piece, using this site as your marketplace?

If you haven't been hot on the roms since '96, then I doubt you've ever been into the neo geo rom scene, because that didn't get into gear until 98/99, as larger games became emulated. Maybe you should look back into it and play those protos that are available. See how long the affection lasts.

There's a HUGE difference for me between sitting at my keyboard, moving with some keys under my right hand, and using my left hand for the buttons, as opposed to having a joystick in my hand.

I WANT TO PLAY MY NEOGEO GAMES WITH MY JOYSTICK ON MY CABINET. Is that so hard to understand? Ghostlop would be far better with a joystick than with a keyboard. i can only imagine Ironclad would be the same way, as this seems to be general truth for arcade games.

Stop trolling. It's getting old.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
There's a HUGE difference for me between sitting at my keyboard, moving with some keys under my right hand, and using my left hand for the buttons, as opposed to having a joystick in my hand.

I WANT TO PLAY MY NEOGEO GAMES WITH MY JOYSTICK ON MY CABINET. Is that so hard to understand? Ghostlop would be far better with a joystick than with a keyboard. i can only imagine Ironclad would be the same way, as this seems to be general truth for arcade games.

Stop trolling. It's getting old.

Buy a stick for your PC. It's that simple.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Buy a stick for your PC. It's that simple.

Will that stick feel EXACTLY the same as what's in my cab? will it sit at the same height?

Then there's the fact that my laptop monitor is smaller than the monitor in my cab. And somehow, neogeo MVS games on a LCD screen will just never compare to how they look on a monitor.

Then there's the fact that it's difficult or next to impossible to play against someone else on it; even with two arcade sticks, it's too small a screen for two people.

Anyways, my experience with Ghostlop on neorageX is that it's prone to freezing, and neorageX tends to smooth out images a little too much.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Will that stick feel EXACTLY the same as what's in my cab? will it sit at the same height?

Anyways, my experience with Ghostlop on neorageX is that it's prone to freezing, and neorageX tends to smooth out images a little too much.

Does every cab's sticks feel the same? If it's that big a deal, convert your cab to include a mame box in it. If you don't want images smoothed, don't apply that filter.

Your arguments were shot down back in 2001. Maybe you should stop trolling now.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Does every cab's sticks feel the same? If it's that big a deal, convert your cab to include a mame box in it. If you don't want images smoothed, don't apply that filter.

Your arguments were shot down back in 2001. Maybe you should stop trolling now.

MAME is still just emulation. If these carts were made available, I'm pretty sure if enough people were interested in contributing money, they could be obtained for less than the price of a MAME cabinet.

How is expressing a genuine desire to play these games the way they were designed to be played in any way trolling? You just dont' want to admit that you're wrong, that my desire to play this game and others in the proper way will not be satiated by other means.

Have some
vaseline.jpg

for your hurting
kitten_rescue_6.jpg

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I saw a BIN on eBay for $450 or so for Ghostlop and Diggerman; that's a little rich for my blood, considering any proto carts I'd buy would inherently be boots. Also, what is the full backstory of Diggerman?
Homemade Ghostlops are $130-150. Should be about the same for any homemade cart. Diggerman is probably a hack. If legit, it would be from FACE, the makers of Gururin, but judging from the game itself, I think it's a hack. Probably a fancy Asian one. Much of the game, even the music is boosted from Gururin, and the game isn't all that fun. It's one of the classic hacks that's been out there for a while, and it does play as a full game I suppose.

You own a Bang Bead? From what I saw on Billy Pitt's page, only a handful of known copies exist! Is there truth to this? How'd you manage to obtain yours, how much did you have to pay, etc?
Billy's page is wrong. I price the game on my guide for about $300, it is the rarest officially released MVS cart. I got mine from Ebay UK for less than $200 because it had been bastardized with a "Bang Progress" label. It has legit boards, and I've since relabeled it.

Last edited:

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Homemade Ghostlops are $130-150. Should be about the same for any homemade cart. Diggerman is probably a hack. If legit, it would be from FACE, the makers of Gururin, but judging from the game itself, I think it's a hack. Probably a fancy Asian one. Much of the game, even the music is boosted from Gururin, and the game isn't all that fun but it's one of the classic hacks that's been out there for a while, and it does play as a full game I suppose.

Billy's page is wrong. I price the game on my guide for about $300, it is the rarest officially released MVS cart. I got mine from Ebay UK for less than $200 because it had been bastardized with a "Bang Progress" label. It has legit boards, and I've since relabeled it.

Woohoo! You win at life, Alec! Meant to say something earlier, but thanks for your making/contributions to the price guide. BTW, I guess it's no surprise, as he still lists Garou: MOTW Special as out there.

Thanks for all of the info, man! You're an invaluable resource to this community.

ALSO, totally different note, don't you think the price listed for Ragnagard on the list is a little low? It seems like that game is in fact a little hard to come by, and a little more expensive than it's listed for when you do find it.

P.S. my aplogies if this post sounds sarcastic; I'm genuinely absurdly excited about the prospects of getting these games released, and getting my hands on 'em.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I think if Billy is currently in possession of anymore of the protos, he might be willing to negotiate a way to get paid and release the game to the community. All we need is an organized official effort. Have one respected member of the community who we know won't bail on us collect the money, and someone who is a whiz like Jeff can dump the game. The Atari community does it, let's follow their lead. If our first effort was successful, imagine how we might be able to do a second one, and all the good will that would create.

Last edited:

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Wasabi, I honestly can't believe you are advocating roms. Everyone, their mother, and their dog knows that roms aren't the same as owning a game on a physical medium. Jazz them up all you want, they're still files on a PC. If that's good enough for you then that's fine by me.

I guess my point is it used to be heresy to talk about roms here.. Seems times have REALLY changed.

It all makes me wonder WHY you are arguing against having protos found and dumped?? What are they to you? A few megs on your hard drive?

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
I think if Billy is currently in possession of anymore of the protos, he might be willing to negotiate a way to get paid and release the game to the community. All we need is an organized official effort. Have one respected member of the community who we know won't bail on us collect the money, and someone who is a whiz like Jeff can dump the game. The Atari community does it, let's follow their lead.

If he does indeed having a working Last Odyssey I'd certainly like to see it. Who was the person responsible for the actual dumping of the Ghostlop rom? Was is Jeff? I mean the person who got the data off the chips themselves, not who bought the cart.

There are plenty of members around here trustworthy enough to hold money. But I think we need quite a few people to drum up the kind of money something like this would require.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Whoever collects the money and buys the cart still might be able to sell it to someone for at least some hundreds of dollars after we're done. I mean, the game will be out there, but the original proto should still be worth something to somebody.

I want Ghostlop as much as the next guy (probably more, even, it's one of my most wanted games at the moment) but I think anyone who pays 150 for it is a sucker. I mean, cmon, it's a bootleg. They will continue making them for as long as there is a demand. The price can't stay at 150 forever - and it certainly won't go any higher. Personally to me it's worth about $50. People trying to charge collector prices for it are fullashit. hey , more power to you , I guess (if you hook me up with one for free).

edit "original proto" = very valuable indeed. one of an infinite amount of bastard copies "ripped" in some overweight teenager's bedroom , = worth the cost of parts & the dude's time