Where is the push to get known protos released and reproduced?

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
I've been had the subject of Neo Geo protos brewing in my head for some months now.. The Neo Geo community (that includes this forum and the "others") seems unlike every other enthusiast community in that there doesn't seem to be ANY sort of real consorted effort to get known proto games dumped and released. Even talking about ones that have been released (*cough* Ghostlop *cough*) is apparently somewhat taboo.

The Neo Geo is long since dead, and it's not exactly the hottest home brew platform on the planet (Last Hope is somewhat of a small miracle in that regard). The unreleased games are all that is left. So isn't it about time we begin to band together to get these games into the hands of the people that will enjoy them?

brkn1.jpg

Refer to Razoola's 2005 proto thread

Iron Clad! :drool_2:

Chime in chaps..

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
personally don't care. protos never saw the light of day for a reason. I'd be much more interested in homebrew, if they were any good.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm the same way. I would gladly contribute any way I can if a prototype was located and we could get it released to the community. Fun Fun Brothers is the most obvious one that we have confirmation exists and is out there.

Although it might be interesting to see what the cartridge version was supposed to look like, I'm not too concerned about Ironclad since it has been released on CD.

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
I think the biggest problem as to why nobody wants to seek out the protos is becuase one, the games aren't exactly all that great and two, nobody cares (see wasabi's post).

With that said, sure these are Arcade games and most of the unreleased games don't look all that interesting but take a look at the NES scene, there's a great interest in seeking out any and all prototype cartridges, even for the really crummy games. Sure there's no EarthBound (NES) or Star Fox 2 on the Neo-Geo but those protos do need to be found and dumped, plain and simple.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Yeah... of course, protos must be absolute crap... like Ghostlop, that got released due to bad timing for the company, and financial reasons... not the quality of the gameplay. That certainly strongly implies the game is no fun, and not a noteworthy piece of history, right, Wasabi?

Lard, I totally agree with you. I started a thread within the past month or so, about hacks and protos... check it out. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192294

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The only way we can do this is for all of us to show up at Bily's house and raid it.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I think the biggest problem as to why nobody wants to seek out the protos is becuase one, the games aren't exactly all that great and two, nobody cares (see wasabi's post).
I totally disagree. I am very interested in seeing all of the games on the list. Most of them are probably at least reasonably fun, more likely unreleased due to marketing reasons. It's a part of the history of the console that I'd be very interested in knowing more about. And let's face it, I'm out of games to buy for this system, I'll take whatever's out there. The fact that there is video footage of Fun Fun Brothers (footage of a Neo game I can't get) makes it all the more tantalizing.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The only way we can do this is for all of us to show up at Bily's house and raid it.
If he will sell any of them, the community could raise the money, collected by a very trusted member. Then have an equally trusted member dump the game.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
You mean you have to have a European AES copy of Kizuna Encounter to do it?

Yeah you have to sac the AES PCBs to make the proper MVS PCBs. That and about 36 EEPROMS you got yourself Iron Clad MVS.

If I were you i'd find a Euro Kizuna on eBay stat if you want this game.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Only Protos I would really want to play are the Bemani game and Pinball one.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Dropping a link to Billy Pitt's current site.

Reading a bit of the stuff there, hadn't checked it in years really.. He says he has a Ghostlop proto, was he the one that made it available?

The state of Fun Fun Brothers (if pitt's page is still accurate) is really sad..

Edit: Also why does he have Mark of the Wolves 2 up there? Weren't those screenshots debunked almost as soon as they arrived? :P

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
:oh_no:

who gives a shit about protos

they are unreleased for a reason

and yes fuck ghostlop

when these things do get released they get created, turned into homecarts and sold by asshats for ridiculous money anyway

so fuck em, better off undiscovered and unreleased.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
:oh_no:

who gives a shit about protos

they are unreleased for a reason

and yes fuck ghostlop

when these things do get released they get created, turned into homecarts and sold by asshats for ridiculous money anyway

so fuck em, better off undiscovered and unreleased.

Ghostlop>X

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
Sorry, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

It says right in the AES Price Guide that only 4 known copies of Kizuna AES exist. :annoyed:

I've got a few extra Euro Kizunas just collecting dust, I think I'll send them to Japhei for conversion. I've no idea how he gets the CD quality music on the cart! Amazing. :rolleyes:

Will somebody please explain this to me? :help:

EDIT: Wait, did dubdubdub mess up by saying Euro AES Kizuna? If it's Euro MVS Kizuna then that makes sense, but not AES.

Last edited:

Spazmonkey

Another Striker

It says right in the AES Price Guide that only 4 known copies of Kizuna AES exist. :annoyed:

Will somebody please explain this to me? :help:

EDIT: Wait, did dubdubdub mess up by saying Euro AES Kizuna? If it's Euro MVS Kizuna then that makes sense, but not AES.

First off, there's more than four, I'm pretty sure there's six confirmed ones now. Also, it's a JOKE! Japhei is a scammer, and it's simply a joke that went over your head.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I totally disagree. I am very interested in seeing all of the games on the list. Most of them are probably at least reasonably fun, more likely unreleased due to marketing reasons. It's a part of the history of the console that I'd be very interested in knowing more about. And let's face it, I'm out of games to buy for this system, I'll take whatever's out there. The fact that there is video footage of Fun Fun Brothers (footage of a Neo game I can't get) makes it all the more tantalizing.

what would you be buying? The authentic proto, or a pirated romset? Be serious here.

I no longer understand the reason for "owning" this stuff. So glad I sold it off while the selling was good.