Where is the push to get known protos released and reproduced?

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Whoever collects the money and buys the cart still might be able to sell it to someone for at least some hundreds of dollars after we're done. I mean, the game will be out there, but the original proto should still be worth something to somebody.

Well, it could be that or simply paying the owner to send the cart to X person who can dump the game and then having it sent back to the original owner.

I think the proto itself will always be worth a fair bit money regardless of if it's been dumped or not. The difference is the people who want the game to never be in anyone's hands (in any form) but theirs will not be interested in buying the game, for fear that their bragging rights might be diminished.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I would be glad to see some new games
Good to see more with the right attitude :)

I think if Billy is currently in possession of anymore of the protos, he might be willing to negotiate a way to get paid and release the game to the community. All we need is an organized official effort. Have one respected member of the community who we know won't bail on us collect the money, and someone who is a whiz like Jeff can dump the game. The Atari community does it, let's follow their lead. If our first effort was successful, imagine how we might be able to do a second one, and all the good will that would create.
I'm rather broke right now, trying to live in Spain and all... however, I'll have much more expendable income in about 4 months, and even greater amounts in about a year. If Billy Pitt wants to make more games available for the $3k price tag he was asking for Ghostlop, I'd gladly contribute a noteworthy sum (upwards of $100, maybe as much as $300 when I have the means), though I think whoever obtains the cart should sell it and redistribute the funds upon having copied it.
Wasabi, I honestly can't believe you are advocating roms. Everyone, their mother, and their dog knows that roms aren't the same as owning a game on a physical medium. Jazz them up all you want, they're still files on a PC. If that's good enough for you then that's fine by me.
I guess my point is it used to be heresy to talk about roms here.. Seems times have REALLY changed.
It all makes me wonder WHY you are arguing against having protos found and dumped?? What are they to you? A few megs on your hard drive?
SERIOUSLY! See why I think he's just trolling to get a rise out of us? You know my previous post was full of win :mr_t: I'll admit I currently use roms and NeoRageX, but only for unreleased/hacked games, and titles that I presently own. The only reason I'm using it right now is because I'm, oh, upwards of a thousand miles away from my MVS.

If he does indeed having a working Last Odyssey I'd certainly like to see it. Who was the person responsible for the actual dumping of the Ghostlop rom? Was is Jeff? I mean the person who got the data off the chips themselves, not who bought the cart.

There are plenty of members around here trustworthy enough to hold money. But I think we need quite a few people to drum up the kind of money something like this would require.

I tried to make sense of Alec's links; it sounds like some French guys dumped the rom, or at least made reproduction carts available for purchase.

Ghostlop was made available for $3k by Billy Pitt. This kind of money would be more than reasonable if enough people contributed. Additionally, as per my response to Alec, we would likely be able to get at least a portion of our money back upon selling the original proto to a more hardcore/purist/wealthy collector.
FunFun Bros. was last sold on eBay for $230, and then obtained immediately from that buyer for double; $460. Billy Pitt has info on who last obtained that cart. If we could offer him $1000 for the cart, and offer to sell it back to him for $500 upon having bootlegged it, that'd be awesome!

P.S. I'd gladly nominate Neo Alec to hold the money... but if enough people will put their trust in any one member here, I will, too.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
I want Ghostlop as much as the next guy (probably more, even, it's one of my most wanted games at the moment) but I think anyone who pays 150 for it is a sucker. I mean, cmon, it's a bootleg. They will continue making them for as long as there is a demand. The price can't stay at 150 forever - and it certainly won't go any higher. Personally to me it's worth about $50. People trying to charge collector prices for it are fullashit. hey , more power to you , I guess (if you hook me up with one for free).

edit "original proto" = very valuable indeed. one of an infinite amount of bastard copies "ripped" in some overweight teenager's bedroom , = worth the cost of parts & the dude's time

For real.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
I think the proto itself will always be worth a fair bit money regardless of if it's been dumped or not. The difference is the people who want the game to never be in anyone's hands (in any form) but theirs will not be interested in buying the game, for fear that their bragging rights might be diminished.
If we find people like that, let's catch them on a dark night, take 'em into an alley, and I'll sodomize 'em against their will.

Or, we could wait a few generations until they die, then buy it from their families.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I want Ghostlop as much as the next guy (probably more, even, it's one of my most wanted games at the moment) but I think anyone who pays 150 for it is a sucker. I mean, cmon, it's a bootleg.
The price is meant to compensate for the materials involved, and maybe a little bit for the effort. I think it's worth it. If you feel you are being ripped off, then don't pay it. Good luck making your own for only $50.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
P.S. I'd gladly nominate Neo Alec to hold the money... but if enough people will put their trust in any one member here, I will, too.
I'd be more than willing to do it, and would be as involved as possible, contributing any way I can. However, I think my reputation would hurt the effort. It would be better to find someone else.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
How would your reputation hurt the effort?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
At any rate, I'm not sure I'm trusted enough. I would like to be involved in this kind of project though.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Speaking of Ghostlop I'm getting one from ebayer otakus.store.

$118 shipped from France to Michigan:)

There isn't going to be much support for this because it wouldn't come in a pretty officially made AES box for the collectors to pay hundreds of dollars for and feel like they have something rare and official SNK.

They don't care about the hardware and what it's capable of, they are packrats first. The same people who are saying "It's unreleased for a reason" should use the same logic and say "SNK was never mainstream for a reason" if they truly believe all unreleased games are crap. Funny how many SNK gems BARELY got out due to financial reasons, but yeah, ALL UNRELEASED GAMES MUST BE CRAP. :spock:

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Gentlemen,

I've been lying all these years. All of the unreleased protos are in a shoe box in Dion's garage.

Regards,

The Überprotomaster Billy Pitt

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
There isn't going to be much support for this because it wouldn't come in a pretty officially made AES box for the collectors to pay hundreds of dollars for and feel like they have something rare and official SNK.

They don't care about the hardware and what it's capable of, they are packrats first. The same people who are saying "It's unreleased for a reason" should use the same logic and say "SNK was never mainstream for a reason" if they truly believe all unreleased games are crap. Funny how many SNK gems BARELY got out due to financial reasons, but yeah, ALL UNRELEASED GAMES MUST BE CRAP. :spock:

I don't know. I have a Ghostlop "conversion" (at it's core it's not really a conversion, the chips aren't official of course) that looks pretty damned stunning. The print quality on the artwork is the best I've ever seen that is not official product. I'm not sure if it came from the original over priced batch or if it was one made down the line.. I'd assume it was the later. I got it from open auction on eBay a year or so ago for ~$170. I should take pictures but I doubt you'd be able to tell how good the print quality actually is, it's shocking. Unfortunately I've no clue who actually did the printing and neither did the seller when I asked him.

Give this thread time and keep it concentrated and I believe more people will come out the woodwork very interested in such a project.. Maybe they want an MVS version, maybe an AES version, or maybe they just want to play the rom. All that matters is their interest in getting these games out in to the community.

I've noticed lately several "old timers" have come back to the Neo scene in the last ~half year for whatever reason.. Perhaps the current consoles are getting stale so they return to their passion, who knows. Stay interested, nothing happens over night. :)

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Gentlemen,

I've been lying all these years. All of the unreleased protos are in a shoe box in Dion's garage.

Regards,

The Überprotomaster Billy Pitt

Ohhhhhh, Now it all makes sense!

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Give this thread time and keep it concentrated and I believe more people will come out the woodwork very interested in such a project.. Maybe they want an MVS version, maybe an AES version, or maybe they just want to play the rom. All that matters is their interest in getting these games out in to the community.

I've noticed lately several "old timers" have come back to the Neo scene in the last ~half year for whatever reason.. Perhaps the current consoles are getting stale so they return to their passion, who knows. Stay interested, nothing happens over night. :)

Thanks for starting this thread- it seems to have taken off in a way that mine never did.

As for what brought me out of the woodwork was the fact that, my MVS cab resides in my parents' basement. I'm normally a couple hours away from home at school, so I can't play it, leading me to not buy games for the past years or so. However, I spent a month and a half over winter break at the parents' house, waiting to come to Spain. Add in the fact that we got a new cat who refuses to come out of the basement without severe amounts of attention, and you have an MmSadda who walks past his cabinet several times a day.... from there, it was only natural to want to play some Garou and Shock Trooper 2nd Squad... Then, add in that the girlfriend is a complete video game freak, and prefers SNES and PS1 stuff to everything else, and you have all the reason I need to get back into the highlights of classic gaming.

I don't find my current systems to be stale, but Wii is really only good for parties or large groups of people... and Xbox 360 is by far the best for single player... I play both on regular occasion, but there's just that video game niche in my life that neither fills properly. Anyways, sorry for the tangent, and sorry to come in your thread stroking my cock about NeoGeo for so long... but that's why I'm back.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
"I want to preserve Neo proto history", yadda yadda.

Then they go and spend lotsa money on boots of said protos... is that still preservation or just the good ol' collector mentality at work again? Ghostlop Made in France, hah. HAH! :mad:

Ah well, to each his own.

Wake me when Xacrow and some Europeans open their proto treasure chests to the general public, until then have fun with the fundraising, you'll need every penny you can get.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
MAME is still just emulation. If these carts were made available, I'm pretty sure if enough people were interested in contributing money, they could be obtained for less than the price of a MAME cabinet.

How is expressing a genuine desire to play these games the way they were designed to be played in any way trolling? You just dont' want to admit that you're wrong, that my desire to play this game and others in the proper way will not be satiated by other means.

Have some
vaseline.jpg

for your hurting
kitten_rescue_6.jpg

If I was neo alec and praise the lard, I'd be embarrassed that mmsadda is on their side... What a fucking tool.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If I was neo alec and praise the lard, I'd be embarrassed that mmsadda is on their side... What a fucking tool.
I guess maybe I would be if I knew anything about the guy.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Wasabi, I just don't see why you need to come in here and piss on everyone's parade.

To come in here once and speak your peace is one thing. To keep coming back because someone wants to start an effort to do something you have no interest is entirely different.

Plus, your central argument is about as logical as me telling you that Street Fighter IV isn't worth playing because I haven't played it yet.

I guess maybe I would be if I knew anything about the guy.

I'm not really an asshole, I'm just sick of getting trolled... by a moderator of all people.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Wasabi, I just don't see why you need to come in here and piss on everyone's parade.

To come in here once and speak your peace is one thing. To keep coming back because someone wants to start an effort to do something you have no interest is entirely different.

Plus, your central argument is about as logical as me telling you that Street Fighter IV isn't worth playing because I haven't played it yet.

I'm not really an asshole, I'm just sick of getting trolled... by a moderator of all people.

you said your piece long ago and keep coming back to, as you put it, get trolled. If you want to play those games which were never meant for you to play, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and break into someone's home and steal it.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Wow, people on here will argue about anything.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
you said your piece long ago and keep coming back to, as you put it, get trolled. If you want to play those games which were never meant for you to play, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and break into someone's home and steal it.

Maybe in all your infinite wisdom, you somehow managed to fail to see this, but that would likely entail a run-in with the police which would end unfavorably for me.