Where is the push to get known protos released and reproduced?

SSS

neo retired
only if these protos were near the caliber of ghostlop. otherwise it's a colssal waste of time. the neo has more than enough games people don't play.

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
First off, there's more than four, I'm pretty sure there's six confirmed ones now. Also, it's a JOKE! Japhei is a scammer, and it's simply a joke that went over your head.

Go fuck yourself Lard. >_>

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire

It says right in the AES Price Guide that only 4 known copies of Kizuna AES exist. :annoyed:

I was referring to your original post where you made some baseless generalizations. Go play games like Zupapa (which was in proto limbo for a long time), Ghostlop, or even Iron Clad/Crossed Swords 2 (which were released on CD, but never cart) and then come back and say the Neo Geo protos "aren't all that great". Compared to the general quality of protos on other systems all those games are like gifts from the heavens.

Go fuck yourself Lard. >_>

What are you on about now?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I was referring to your original post where you made some baseless generalizations. Go play games like Zupapa (which was in proto limbo for a long time), Ghostlop, or even Iron Clad/Crossed Swords 2 (which were released on CD, but never cart) and then come back and say the Neo Geo protos "aren't all that great". Compared to the general quality of protos on other systems all those games are like gifts from the heavens.

Why? because they were made on SNK hardware? Yeah, that's about the only explanation... :rolleyes:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I would bother to play Neo Pool Masters (if real), Dance RhythMix (if real), and maybe Last Odyssey to see if they were worth a shit.

But really, if I owned a Neo again, I think I'd have 5 games.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
what would you be buying? The authentic proto, or a pirated romset? Be serious here.

I no longer understand the reason for "owning" this stuff. So glad I sold it off while the selling was good.
I meant buying the real cart. To be honest, I would probably pay money just to get the rom out there if there were some way to guarantee it (because that's the whole point of this anyway -- to make more Ghostlops) but that wouldn't be the first thing I'd consider spending the money on.

I just want these games to be available for the Neo. I hope those of you here saying, "Who cares about protos?" can respect that.

Compared to the general quality of protos on other systems all those games are like gifts from the heavens.
Seriously. It's true.

Why? because they were made on SNK hardware? Yeah, that's about the only explanation... :rolleyes:
I think it's mostly because it's arcade hardware.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
I wish there was more info on Neo Pool Masters as well.. Nazca's 3rd game. :eek: Fuck all is known about the game though. There is a possibility that it was dev'd along side Metal Slug and Neo Turf Masters.

The master list gives it a date of 1998, but thats the same year Metal Slug 2 was released and I was under the impression that Nazca was absorbed into SNK just a short time after Metal Slug was released (mid '96).

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c

It says right in the AES Price Guide that only 4 known copies of Kizuna AES exist. :annoyed:

Will somebody please explain this to me? :help:

EDIT: Wait, did dubdubdub mess up by saying Euro AES Kizuna? If it's Euro MVS Kizuna then that makes sense, but not AES.

Dude are you retarded?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So how many proto games for other systems do you own? I believe I said why in my last sentence.

I don't own protos. I own good games. Just because something is made on the neo geo, or any system doesn't make it good. The game itself has to be worth owning on its own merits. For that matter alone I would disregard over half of the neo geo library.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I wish Karate Ninja Sho got released, looked killer.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
I don't own protos. I own good games. Just because something is made on the neo geo, or any system doesn't make it good. The game itself has to be worth owning on its own merits. For that matter alone I would disregard over half of the neo geo library.

The point of this thread is to put attention to the fact that the Neo Geo has NO push to get these games released where every other community DOES. The quality of the games themselves is as irrelevant as your opinion of "half of the neo geo library".

You are free to compare and contrast protos from other systems' unreleased game library against the likes of Ghostlop/Zupapa/IronClad/etc, in general the quality of these titles is far better than the norm. Does that mean every Neo Geo proto is as good? Not at all. Does that matter? Not at all.

To think "unreleased game" automatically equals "bad game" is to be jaded. You owe it to yourself to check out various unreleased games for any system of your choice. Diamonds ARE in that rough. There are a variety of reasons that games go unreleased, not all of them have to do with the quality of the game.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I for one love Ghostlop and if it is any indication as the level of quality of unreleased protos, I want more.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The point of this thread is to put attention to the fact that the Neo Geo has NO push to get these games released where every other community DOES. The quality of the games themselves is as irrelevant as your opinion of "half of the neo geo library".

You are free to compare and contrast protos from other systems' unreleased game library against the likes of Ghostlop/Zupapa/IronClad/etc, in general the quality of these titles is far better than the norm. Does that mean every Neo Geo proto is as good? Not at all. Does that matter? Not at all.

To think "unreleased game" automatically equals "bad game" is to be jaded. You owe it to yourself to check out various unreleased games for any system of your choice. Diamonds ARE in that rough. There are a variety of reasons that games go unreleased, not all of them have to do with the quality of the game.

No, I am completely aware of the protos out there. You want Ironclad? Get the Neo CD version. Same for crossed swords 2. Download the iso if you must. Many others have, why don't you? It's not like people have been robbed of some great treasure. To be honest, none of these games are worth giving a fuck about. And yeah, that's my opinion. The fact you disagree means my opinion now expands to include you having poor taste in games. But hey - you think I'm jaded. I believe I have higher standards.

So many people are simply consumers. You ask why other communities have more a push? Because they have more consumer minded people. People that just want shit to have it. You give someone an unfinished game and how long are they going to play it before it gets old and boring? 5 hours? 3 days?

When the honeymoon is over, all you're left with is an unfinished product whose beauty was mainly in its mystery.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
ironclads shitty, fuck that game. who would want it on MVS

far better shooters on other systems.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
No, I am completely aware of the protos out there. You want Ironclad? Get the Neo CD version. Same for crossed swords 2. Download the iso if you must. Many others have, why don't you? It's not like people have been robbed of some great treasure. To be honest, none of these games are worth giving a fuck about. And yeah, that's my opinion. The fact you disagree means my opinion now expands to include you having poor taste in games. But hey - you think I'm jaded. I believe I have higher standards.

So many people are simply consumers. You ask why other communities have more a push? Because they have more consumer minded people. People that just want shit to have it. You give someone an unfinished game and how long are they going to play it before it gets old and boring? 5 hours? 3 days?

When the honeymoon is over, all you're left with is an unfinished product whose beauty was mainly in its mystery.

You're assuming a bit much thinking I have never owned the NGCD versions Crossed Swords 2 or Iron Clad over the years. I'm not going to try and convince you that these games and others are worth caring about though. You obviously made up your mind a long time ago about what games do/do not meet your criteria.. We'll just sweep the fact that you've never even actually played these particular games let alone know much about them neeeatly under the rug.

True enough, more people equals more push. Which reminds me about how unfortunate it is that this very forum has so actively pushed away new members over the years, there is a point where teh drama ends and the bullshit starts.

I like the honeymoon line, very elegant that one. How does that old jingle go? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? ;)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You're assuming a bit much thinking I have never owned the NGCD versions Crossed Swords 2 or Iron Clad over the years. I'm not going to try and convince you that these games and others are worth caring about though. You obviously made up your mind a long time ago about what games do/do not meet your criteria.. We'll just sweep the fact that you've never even actually played these particular games let alone know much about them neeeatly under the rug.

True enough, more people equals more push. Which reminds me about how unfortunate it is that this very forum has so actively pushed away new members over the years, there is a point where teh drama ends and the bullshit starts.

I like the honeymoon line, very elegant that one. How does that old jingle go? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? ;)

that's ignorance if I've ever read it here. I have played the dumped protos.

Here's a yardstick of quality for you - if a romset played on an emulator only grasps your attention for a few hours, then why should it be better in some tangible marketable medium such as a MVS cart? But go ahead. Consume.

People. You can never change the way they feel. Better let them just what they will. Because they will.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
that's ignorance if I've ever read it here. I have played the dumped protos.

Here's a yardstick of quality for you - if a romset played on an emulator only grasps your attention for a few hours, then why should it be better in some tangible marketable medium such as a MVS cart? But go ahead. Consume.

People. You can never change the way they feel. Better let them just what they will. Because they will.

What dumped protos have you played? Unfortunately I'm not as hot on roms as I was back in '96 so please enlighten me on what is out there these days. If they are already dumped then they are ready to be reproduced. :rolleyes:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Wow..... somehow, I didn't think MODERATORS were supposed to troll....

Anyhow, to be it'd be more worthwhile to own one Bust-A-Move or Puzzle de Pon and Ghostlop, than to own two BaM/PdP games.... Wasabi, you need to face the fact that there's certain niches that some of these games fill. Now, I wouldn't really give a damn to track down SunShine (basically Puzzled), or most of the unreleased fighting games.... But Ghostlop fills a weird puzzle game niche. The pinball game would've filled an interesting niche, too. I have 3 arcade cabinets; 2 are Pre-Jamma, the other one is a 2-slot MVS. I don't care to collect every MVS game, but I like the idea of having a robust library of titles I can throw in. You can say that people wouldn't play Ghostlop for more than a few hours if it was made available to them; I spent 3 hours last night alone playing Ghostlop. I plan on playing it for a while later today. Guess what I'm gonna do tomorrow after classes? Probably play some more Ghostlop.

*edit* Wasabi, you're right; the mystery makes a game I've never played before, like Karate Ninja Shou a little more appealing than released games like World Heroes, or King of Fighters 95, or other titles that're part of a series that I've already played several versions of...

And if Ironclad had been released and I had to make an impulse buy between that and any one of the 5 Fatal Fury games I've so shamefully missed out on, you know what I'd take? Ironclad. I'd take it because it's something different.

Don't get me wrong, I love my SNK fighting game series', but the proto games that we know are out there are different from the stuff we've all played. If you don't find that at least somewhat interesting, I've got some cocaine you're more than welcome to snort; it might make you actually feel something. Hell, you might even get excited about somethin for once!

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The Neo proto scene is dominated by elusive collectors who would never agree to creating rom dumps or, god forbid, new carts of them. Many fans know that, probably that's why there's no real push to get that stuff out in the open. These collector guys have very good connections, whenever there's a proto to be had, they will be there first.

And then there's the copyright problem. If you came across a, say, Nazca proto, chances are that Playmore would veto against a release or even send some lawyers around because AFAIK they own parts (or the whole?) of the Nacza IP. So you could a) proceed anyway and create illegal dumps, b) try to convince a bunch of Patchinko-loving SNKP managers that a release like that would make a great fan service, or c) get an expensive official license. None of these options is really practicable. By the way, this also is one of the reasons why most proto collectors try not to make too much fuss about their passion...

About Ironclad and CS2 they're no protos but CD-exclusives, if you want to play them, get a NGCD, as simple as that. Don't expect too much though, I own them both and find them decent but basically nothing to write home about.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Id love to see some of these proto's released but realistically I'd probably spend 10mins on them and throw them back on the shelf to collect dust.

Takumaji is so correct it's not funny. There are collectors here that brag and brag and brag. Realistically, anyone with such proto's in their posession will take it to the grave unless some sort of personal benefit was to come out of making it available to others. Which I cant see.

Considering the trouble you would have to go through and the price you would have to pay for such items, having them reproduced would negate the effort in obtaining the proto in the first place. From a hardcore collectors perspective. Selfish but it secures their proto's rarity, scarcity and worth.

The way I see it, if they were really worth the trouble to have a release, they wouldve had a release. Games like Iron Clad are overhyper trash, I cant believe how incredibly crappy that game is. The price tag is absurd. Much like Euro Kizuna's.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I have played the dumped protos.
So just Ghostlop then? That's the one. You can't even count how many there are. You've said your piece. Please leave this thread for people who want these games see the light of day.

The Neo proto scene is dominated by elusive collectors who would never agree to creating rom dumps or, god forbid, new carts of them. Many fans know that, probably that's why there's no real push to get that stuff out in the open. These collector guys have very good connections, whenever there's a proto to be had, they will be there first.

And then there's the copyright problem. If you came across a, say, Nazca proto, chances are that Playmore would veto against a release or even send some lawyers around because AFAIK they own parts (or the whole?) of the Nacza IP. So you could a) proceed anyway and create illegal dumps, b) try to convince a bunch of Patchinko-loving SNKP managers that a release like that would make a great fan service, or c) get an expensive official license. None of these options is really practicable. By the way, this also is one of the reasons why most proto collectors try not to make too much fuss about their passion...

About Ironclad and CS2 they're no protos but CD-exclusives, if you want to play them, get a NGCD, as simple as that. Don't expect too much though, I own them both and find them decent but basically nothing to write home about.
The best option is to buy the cart and dump it. Maybe if more of us showed interest in these games there would be a better chance of sharing. With the attitude I'm hearing from you and others now, I'm not surprised nothing gets done. It's a miracle Ghostlop is out there, and that had to happen by nefarious means.

I like Ironclad and Crossed Swords 2.

Last edited:

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Could we have a Ghostlop Neogeo CD conversion ?