Where is the push to get known protos released and reproduced?

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
It's just good to know we've simply got several people on the same page at the same time! Exactly what is needed to actually get something like this off the ground. Personally, I am confident there are more than enough Neo Geo fans still active to make this sort of thing work.

There are already several known prototypes out there just waiting.. with plenty more that haven't even been found yet. We should, as a community, be trying to play "catch up" before the next proto is found. Every other community, it seems, has done this years ago.

If things are handled properly there will be no Ghostlop situation, which was done ass backwards and with greed in mind. Instead the protos should be bought/borrowed, the rom dumped and distributed, and reproduction carts will surely follow just as they did after the Ghostlop rom was dumped.

Just gauging interest at the moment though..

Spazmonkey

Another Striker
I would donate and be part of the effort. But we should stop putzing around, and just contact people who have protos. Wasn't it mentioned that the ghostlop guy has Fun Fun brothers? He should be the first one spoken to.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Maybe in all your infinite wisdom, you somehow managed to fail to see this, but that would likely entail a run-in with the police which would end unfavorably for me.

Maybe in your rush to push the submit button, you failed to see that I am praying for just that kind of a run-in for you.

Now, the true comedy is when people try to contact Larry for his protos. I want to see how that ends...

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Just for the record:
BBH:
I still enjoy seeing and playing prototype games that never got officially released.
Just gonna pull this one sentence and say I agree completely. Despite me likely never having the cash to spend on any popular game proto, I still get the same feeling from my US Last Blade and US Faselei NGPC games. Just thinking "Hey these never actually came out, but I have one" is good times.
At one point, Wasabi, you shared the same sentiments, it seems. Why the change of heart?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Just for the record:

At one point, Wasabi, you shared the same sentiments, it seems. Why the change of heart?

I realized that I don't need to play everything, and that not everything made on Neo Geo hardware is worth playing, owning, or giving two shits about. Since then my collection has been trimmed down to the games I consider worth keeping, and that number is not very big at all.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
I realized that I don't need to play everything, and that not everything made on Neo Geo hardware is worth playing, owning, or giving two shits about. Since then my collection has been trimmed down to the games I consider worth keeping, and that number is not very big at all.

I understand that; I've done that over the years with my SNES and NES games... some Genesis stuff..... definitely with my PS1/N64 stuff...

But can you at least see the value in more than one person outside of the manufacturer playing these games, to judge whether they're worth playing? I personally would rather try as many games as possible. Maybe we're just of entirely different mindsets on how we go about finding what games are worthwhile in the first place.

If you want to play those games which were never meant for you to play

What do you think the developers, artists and musicians had in mind while making the games? Do you think they intended for the only cart that didn't get destroyed to be in someone's closet to occasionally brag on the internet about having?

My guess is no. Games are meant to be art/entertainment for everyone to enjoy, they sometimes don't see the light of day for business reasons that are seperate from the creators' wishes.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
What do you think the developers, artists and musicians had in mind while making the games? Do you think they intended for the only cart that didn't get destroyed to be in someone's closet to occasionally brag on the internet about having?

My guess is no. Games are meant to be art/entertainment for everyone to enjoy, they sometimes don't see the light of day for business reasons that are seperate from the creators' wishes.

waBAM! Well put.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
So, outta curiosity, to what degree would you guys care if the occasional Art of Fighting 1, Samurai Shodown 1, or Fatal fury 1 cart was sacrificed, in favor of making copies of a proto like Ghostlop? or something new, like Ironclad, if it was doable?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
So, outta curiosity, to what degree would you guys care if the occasional Art of Fighting 1, Samurai Shodown 1, or Fatal fury 1 cart was sacrificed, in favor of making copies of a proto like Ghostlop? or something new, like Ironclad, if it was doable?
Only if you do it yourself with your own private stock that you weren't going to put back out into the market anyway. Then shut up and don't talk about it ever again. They need to make a RAM cart for people like you. As for Ironclad, buy the CD. As long as it's only the music-less rom on the cart, that's a double no-thanks for me.

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I totally agree with Airthrow's point on the matter, but the problem I see with people duping protos so you can actually play them, is then you end up with people like the stupid asshole I keep seeing on ebay selling 'Official 100% legit real working super double-awesome w/cheese' copies of Ghostlop for $150 + s/h.

That's right up there with the occasional >$100 n-in-1 bootleg cart. Makes me want to kick puppies or something.

I'm like 90% angry that they think they can pull that crap, and at least another 70% angry at anyone who DOES fall for it. That's too damned much angry for my bloodpressure, or so my doctor tells me.

Sure, it's rare. It's a dupe of a prototype. But you really have no right to be making an ABSURD profit from it. The line should be drawn somewhere around sac'd cart + labor + s/h. It's technically piracy either way, but to make a huge profit off of it is disgusting. It's a god damned affront, is what it is.