SNKP's Sinking Credibilty News Thread

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
koudelkantscfrontti6.jpg

i wonder how many of us snk/neo fans gave it a try.

I played it and for the most part liked it. It was nice seeing SNK try something outside their norm.

As for all the "SNKP is fucking terrible and is ruining all the SNK IPs" banter: SNK died in 2001. SNKP is not SNK. They're a business that's trying to make money. They're going to do whatever they can to make money. We're not their target audience anymore. End of story. Get over it.

Go play some MOTW, remember why you loved SNK in the first place.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The horror setting is actually pretty interesting. As for the battles, the default one tank + two mages will get you through anything. There's no challenge at all.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
As for all the "SNKP is fucking terrible and is ruining all the SNK IPs" banter: SNK died in 2001. SNKP is not SNK. They're a business that's trying to make money. They're going to do whatever they can to make money. We're not their target audience anymore. End of story. Get over it.

This isn't a discussion about who the target audience is. This is a discussion about what that company can do to get back to where they were in terms of industry relevance. And more importantly, how other companies have evolved with the times to STAY relevant.

As for 'getting over it', settle down. Nobody's attacked you personally so I don't see the need for that kind of douchey tone.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
As for 'getting over it', settle down. Nobody's attacked you personally so I don't see the need for that kind of douchey tone.

Of course there is. He's of the "SNKP = corpse rapist" bent. There is no reasoning with these people. This is why there's so little real dialogue about games here anymore. So many people are too busy smelling their own farts about how great SNK was "back in the day" and unilaterally pissing all over anything SNKP puts out, that it's all but impossible to actually have a meaningful conversation. Hell, look at the title of this thread.

The only good point anyone's made about this was Taiso with his mention of IP dilution and Capcom's ongoing affirmation that SF is/was/always will be a fighting series. That's it. End of list.

Same old stupid shit. I respect a few folks here, particularly those who try to make the hobby into something better for everyone (like Razoola), but, like any given selection, the shit-to-quality ratio is 20:1.

Gotta love the "It's all about the games, as long as they're not too new" mentality at work. Hell, I'm 36 years old, and I act like far less the stereotypical old man than kids half my age on here.

Michael Yagami

This isn't a discussion about who the target audience is. This is a discussion about what that company can do to get back to where they were in terms of industry relevance. And more importantly, how other companies have evolved with the times to STAY relevant.

Actually, I was going for more of a "hating SNKP because they're not SNK is pointless as they are a business and they are trying to make money so they are going to go where the money is now not service a small contingent of hardcore fans from the old days" kind of thing.

I wasn't yelling,

I wasn't trying to pick a fight,

and I most certainly wasn't trying to be a douche.

Rabble rabble rabble!!

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Actually, I was going for more of a "hating SNKP because they're not SNK is pointless as they are a business and they are trying to make money so they are going to go where the money is now not service a small contingent of hardcore fans from the old days" kind of thing.

I wasn't yelling,

I wasn't trying to pick a fight,

and I most certainly wasn't trying to be a douche.

Rabble rabble rabble!!

/nod

Just felt like a needlessly aggressive comment as it regarded this conversation. Especially since this conversation is mostly about taking the IPs that we small hardcore love so much and expanding awareness of them through modern business standards and practices so that SNK can be as recognized and lucrative as some of the bigger companies. I personally don't care that XIII doesn't play like '98 or '02 or whatever. I honestly don't even care if the hardcore faithful hate it.

Personally, even if it has all the broken elements that are being discussed here, I don't care. People rage about SF IV and other modern fighting games, especially hardcore players, but that doesn't stop those games from being popular, embraced and appreciated. I still think I'll love XIII regardless, and that means I'll be back for XIV if that turns out to be the case.

I mean, IDEALLY, you want it to be the perfect game. But it doesn't have to be. If EVERYONE ends up buying and loving XIII, that makes SNK money too. AND they'll be making it off of TODAY'S fan, not yesterday's. The best scenario for SNK is to make bank and build brand loyalty, of course. That opens doors.

Michael Yagami

/nod

Just felt like a needlessly aggressive comment as it regarded this conversation. Especially since this conversation is mostly about taking the IPs that we small hardcore love so much and expanding awareness of them through modern business standards and practices so that SNK can be as recognized and lucrative as some of the bigger companies. I personally don't care that XIII doesn't play like '98 or '02 or whatever. I honestly don't even care if the hardcore faithful hate it.

Personally, even if it has all the broken elements that are being discussed here, I don't care. People rage about SF IV and other modern fighting games, especially hardcore players, but that doesn't stop those games from being popular, embraced and appreciated. I still think I'll love XIII regardless, and that means I'll be back for XIV if that turns out to be the case.

I mean, IDEALLY, you want it to be the perfect game. But it doesn't have to be. If EVERYONE ends up buying and loving XIII, that makes SNK money too. AND they'll be making it off of TODAY'S fan, not yesterday's. The best scenario for SNK is to make bank and build brand loyalty, of course. That opens doors.

I liked KOF XI and KOF XII. KOF XII looks beautiful and it feels like KOF, it just plays a little slow for my tastes. I'll be all over XIII when it hits.

I just feel that the people complaining about the SNK IPs being used for things like Pachislot and mobile games like Sky Stage need to let their angst go. Hell, I've done my fair share of bashing on the SNKP hate wagon but at the end of the day SNKP is what it is. They don't owe us anything. At least they're still trying to push 2D in this day and age, and for that I'm thankful.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Yeah. As I've said ad nauseum, as long as they're willing to give us games *I* actually want to play, then the pachislot and mobile games aren't even an issue for me. It's when that's ALL that they're producing with the IPs that I'll be calling for a buyout.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
That is silly. '02 was great. XI was great. Better than games like '97 and '99. SS5S is better than SS4. Boycotting all SNKP regardless of a particular game's quality is a ridiculous stand to take. Are you going to pretend old SNK never put out any stinkers alongside its great releases?

Because watching SNKP not only beat on the dead horse but stomp on the bones until they're dust and then seeing them whip out a straw and snort up the ashes so they can get high enough to release rehashed titles I played years ago is something I really feel like investing my money in.

I did it to an extent with the Neo*Geo but SNKP is just not worth it. You can quote whatever titles you think were better but truthfully that's an arguement you won't win because people have different opinoins about which games they liked.

And of couse SNK had their far share of dogshit titles as well but seeing SNKP following suit with the same mentality is just..... stupid.

Last edited:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
In other less-important news, SNKP is putting the finishing touches on yet another pair of pachislot games. They are "Hyper Otosan" (which stars an aging Japanese super hero) and "Sister Quest 2" (good luck trying to guess the theme of that one).
http://slot.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/hyper_otousan/
http://slot.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/sister-quest2/

I think you underestimate just how profitable the pachislot business really is. SNKP only got in to it to get back at Azure, but they stayed for the profits.

Much as I'd like to see Crystalis II, I'm afraid we're far more likely to see SNKP get acquired by a Japanese cell phone company or a third-party Korean developer (again) than a new game that is neither a fighter nor a shooter (nor a perverted witch-touching game, thankyouveramuch).

As long as the pachislot business continues to make them money, I doubt that will happen. Looks like SNKP just can't please their fans no matter what they do. Work on old IPs and the fans get upset, work on new IPs and the fans either laugh or don't care.

Who here did their part by buying copies of SNKP's all-new, non-perverted IPs, Tsuki Beat and Kimi no Yuusha? No one? Didn't even know they existed? Yeah, just as I thought.

SNKP needs to completely forget about their old fans and make new ones.

As long as the pachislot business continues to make them money, I doubt that will happen. Looks like SNKP just can't please their fans no matter what they do. Work on old IPs and the fans get upset, work on new IPs and the fans either laugh or don't care.

Who here did their part by buying copies of SNKP's all-new, non-perverted IPs, Tsuki Beat and Kimi no Yuusha? No one? Didn't even know they existed? Yeah, just as I thought.

SNKP needs to completely forget about their old fans and make new ones.

Or they can do both and keep everyone happy, as Capcom has managed to do. A problem is that most of SNKP's "new IP" efforts tend to be half-assed.

Was Kimi no Yusha even released outside of Japan?

From what I've read and seen, it actually seems pretty cool. I'd be interested if it had been released stateside.

I haven't even heard of the other one.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member

I bought KOF12 and Samurai Shodown Sen at full price, old IP's but still where my medal.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
And I bought nearly ALL their re-releases and multiple ports for practically every system, domestic and JP.

I gave SNK-P a FUCKTON of money. I drew the line at Neo-Geo store. I just can't keep doing it without question. I USED to just throw money at them, but now I need to be more discerning. I got the cash, but I don't have the patience.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
I know the feeling Taiso. I would like to give SNK more of my money but they've done piss all to earn it lately barring some of their XBLA releases. And I'm hoping KoF 13 comes out on consoles soon enough, because that will warrant an immediate purchase.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
KoF 13 is quite redeeming. It's a solid ass fighter.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
KoF 13 is quite redeeming. It's a solid ass fighter.

Redeeming is a fitting word.
KOF XII blew my fucking mind (dispite what the detractors say).
It was a full on re-boot that has re-defined the (true) 2-D fighter.
Sure it is short and is more of a test bed than a full on installment but it is rediculous to complain in the end: WE HAVE FINALLY GOT WHAT WE HAVE ALL BEEN DEMANDING AFTER ALL THESE YEARS.
I can't fucking wait for KOF XIII.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I second every single word.

Having played KOFXIII in both Osaka and Tokyo, I still fail to get how they managed to produce such a game in these years. With THAT quality of animation, THAT number of sprites, THAT resolution yet all drawn in pixel art. It's mind blowing to me, seriously. Sitting in front of the cabs, action going on screen, I was still unable to believe what was displayed in front of my eyes.

That's my honest feeling with KOFXIII.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I second every single word.

Having played KOFXIII in both Osaka and Tokyo, I still fail to get how they managed to produce such a game in these years. With THAT quality of animation, THAT number of sprites, THAT resolution yet all drawn in pixel art. It's mind blowing to me, seriously. Sitting in front of the cabs, action going on screen, I was still unable to believe what was displayed in front of my eyes.

That's my honest feeling with KOFXIII.

Because most of the work was already completed with 12 and they're building on its corpse.

What you think SNK back in the day redrew and reprogrammed everything for their yearly fighting game?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Because most of the work was already completed with 12 and they're building on its corpse.

What you think SNK back in the day redrew and reprogrammed everything for their yearly fighting game?

They did love wasting time and money by redrawing stupid and pointless things like Iori's head.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
They did love wasting time and money by redrawing stupid and pointless things like Iori's head.
It wasn't a waste back then. It was the norm to expect all kinds of changes in each installment in those days. Pixel art was still commonplace. The standards of reusing most of the sprites came down later.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member

We all know KOFXII was a demo, a half-complete game SNKP has been (unluckly) forced to release to cope with unprecedented development cost.

Seriosly, I was in their R&D just some month prior of KOFXII release, talked with Kukino, Nona and some sale reps. Tried the latest demo. Than I just said "no story, huh? so funny Iori is flameless, just according to the storyline development..."

Kukino giggled.

C'mon, KOFXII & XIII are nothing but one single game and its demo.

We all know that. I'm pretty happy for whatever they did in order to succeed in releasing such a monumental masterpiece. My previous post strands (and was originally intended to) whatever the KOFXII fiasco has been.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
It better be worth the wait after the long, sordid affair this has all turned into. It's time for them to set the damn street date and just release the fucking thing if they're not going to do any more updates.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
The arcade game is AMAZING! Even if they fart the netcode the console version will be good fun.