About gaming podcasts, my gaming podcast, and Dash Radio jokes...

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
In the interest of trying to build a legitimate thread, I'll do a combo here.

Does anyone listen to gaming podcasts on a regular basis? My top faves would be Talk Radar (Games Radar), Bombcast (Giant Bomb) and Listen Up! (1up.com). I've found that they all basically follow a similar formula, both with their content and their cast, but each is unique enough to listen to each week that they put a new one out. I honestly feel the future of gaming journalism is moving in this direction, as its much more interesting to hear someone voice their opinions over a game than to read words that lack the inflection and subtlety of the human voice.

Also, I'd like to bring everyone's attention to the podcast I and Kid Aphex (uh huh) recently began. Head on over to http://www.podcast198x.com and check it out if you're so inclined, we're definitely look for (constructive) feedback and we'd like to hear what you guys might think is missing from the podcasting community. We're trying to go for a slightly more hardcore/old school bent (talking about shmups, fighters, more esoteric topics than prattling off about the latest blockbusters) and we obviously want people to hear what we have to say.

The link to the site is also in my sig. Bear in mind we're doing this on a $0 budget with a single microphone. I'm also aware that the two podcasts we have contain some audio issues, and I'm working on trying to remedy those as we go along. Its definitely a learning experience.

Check us out every Saturday morning for a new installment. I'll open floor now for people to make Dash Radio jokes and generally be the tough crowd I know this place can be.

NOTE TO MODS: I won't attempt to spam up Unrelated by posting a new thread every week to get us attention, but I'll probably bump this one on a semi-regular basis.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I used to listen to a variety of gaming podcasts. I started with the Gamespot one (can't remember what it's called), then moved onto the 1up podcasts. 1up Yours used to be truly excellent, but it kind of faltered a bit on the way. Then, with the buyout, I thought the whole thing went down the tubes.

Worst of all, they got this guy (last time I checked, anyways) that constantly has the sniffles. I fuckin hate listen to someone sniffling for 2 hours, so I abandoned that one some time ago.

Nowadays, I don't listen to any gaming podcasts. I just stick to stuff like The Moth, Bill Moyers Journal, Savage Lovecast, and a few others.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
your host is kind of slow :emb:

i dont know who youre using to host the site but you may want to use a third party like www.libsyn.com to host the mp3s. that way youll cut back on bandwidth usage and libsyn provides streaming and i think rss services as well.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
A lot of times I don't give a shit about what other people think though. I watch invisible walls sometimes which is just a podcast more or less. Those guys are a bunch of douche bags, but I listen just to see what other people are thinking I guess. They tend to be biased towards the 360 a lot of the times, and that kind of annoys me, but I realize there are a lot of 360 fanboys in the US, so maybe they're catering to them. They were talking about how great Modern Warfare 2 looks, and I'm thinking to myself, "Um, have you seen Killzone 2?" Seriously Killzone 2 looks better than any other first person shooter right now, but gametrailers loves to suck Infinity Wards' cock?

Good luck with your podcast though, I might check it out, if I was in your area I'd even be happy to contribute.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
keeping in mind neither of us has any experience, i am pretty proud of it. hopefully it will just keep getting better.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
I attempted downloading the 00 show a few times last weekend to no avail.

The program content seems relevant to my niche gaming perspectives.

Why not bring Loopz aboard as a regional recurring contributor?

Failing that, it would be funny having a few miscreants here phoning in from time to time...

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
its interesting..ive never had an issue downloading the podcast. i wonder what the deal is?

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Listening to 00 now. Been meaning to get up on it but school has been having its stupid way with me. Digging it. Props for Geometry Wars 2 is ALWAYS appreciated.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Having no issues with 01.

I'm disappointed that you sound like normal humans.

Buro Destruct

your host is kind of slow :emb:

i dont know who youre using to host the site but you may want to use a third party like www.libsyn.com to host the mp3s. that way youll cut back on bandwidth usage and libsyn provides streaming and i think rss services as well.
I'll look into it this weekend, thanks for the tip. I've have a few people say they had issues DLing the mp3s.

Site is hosted on GoDaddy just fyi.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
I fucking LOVE the look/feel of the site. What a great concept you guys chose for the setting. Very nice work.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I've always considered podcasts to be a waste of time.

When making such a bold/polarizing statement, particularly in a thread in which the OP has asked for constructive criticism (of which your statement does not qualify as) it would probably be kind of nice if you could give a little explanation to your statement.

Unless of course you just want to be a spineless piece of shit troll, in which case, your post is textbook trolling so keep up the good work there buddy.

PS: BD and KA I shall give a listen to your podcast when I have some free time later in the week.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
When making such a bold/polarizing statement, particularly in a thread in which the OP has asked for constructive criticism (of which your statement does not qualify as) it would probably be kind of nice if you could give a little explanation to your statement.

Unless of course you just want to be a spineless piece of shit troll, in which case, your post is textbook trolling so keep up the good work there buddy.

PS: BD and KA I shall give a listen to your podcast when I have some free time later in the week.

Ha ha ha... It's almost like that guy is some kind of relentless dickbag, isn't it? I, for one, am shocked.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Is a 2 hour show normal for something like this?

I was going to give a listen to show 01 earlier...but...2 hours? Errr...ok. Didn't have that much free time.

I will.download.and.listen.i.promise.

Site looks nice though.

Buro Destruct

Is a 2 hour show normal for something like this?

I was going to give a listen to show 01 earlier...but...2 hours? Errr...ok. Didn't have that much free time.

I will.download.and.listen.i.promise.

Site looks nice though.
There's been discussion on the length of the show. The podcasts I typically listen to range anywhere from about 90 to 130 minutes in length, depending on the topics discussed. I completely understand where you're coming from on the length though, I do realize its a lot to ask to listen for that long.

But like we said, we're still learning/figuring things out. I think after the next or even next show the length will start coming down. The News section was probably especially long this last go-round since we were including some stuff from the last few weeks as opposed to what will typically encompass only a week's worth of news time.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
it might have to do with the fact that when i listen to a podcast...and its under 2 hours...i feel ripped off.

but i am pretty deep in the podcast swamp.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I listen to podcasts everyday.

For gaming podcasts I recommend:

Out of the Game - Shawn Elliot from GFW's old podcast
Retronauts
Listen Up

I'll check out the podcasts people have been recommending.

Is there any chance the 198x podcast will get on the iTunes store? I'd like to put it in my rotation.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
They usually bore the shit out of me, the only good ones were the ones built in to MGS4.

Its usually some geeky bastard going 'uhh, uhh so yeah guys we're going to talk about halo ODST now and how its uh, uhh'

yeah fuck off.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I enjoy a well produced and professional sounding podcast now and again.

The ones where it's just some people talking and droning on and on about the subject, without any post production values or editing or effort to pare down the conversation to a concise and well presented thing are irritating and sound lazy and self important.

You can usually tell which ones people actually put some effort into and which ones are recorded as though they're talk radio. I like talk radio and don't mind listening to talk radio archives, but a podcast is something different from talk radio.

One mistake podcasters make is in thinking that they, the hosts, are people that the audience cares about. I don't want to hear egocentric blather during a podcast. But I love reading/hearing what other people think of the games I'm interested in so I'm usually willing to listen to others talk about it as long as it doesn't take too long.

As for length, a podcast of 30-45 minutes is just about right depending on how much I'm enjoying it.

I'll listen to yours when I get a chance, sir. Count on it:)

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
They usually bore the shit out of me, the only good ones were the ones built in to MGS4.

Its usually some geeky bastard going 'uhh, uhh so yeah guys we're going to talk about halo ODST now and how its uh, uhh'

yeah fuck off.

lol, so much negativity.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,