Anybody know anything about air conditioning?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Still brutally hot and oppressively humid, and yesterday, the a/c unit in the room starts making a cracking noise. Still making the blowing at full blast sound, but no air comng out. I open it up, and under the filters there's a sheet of ice covering everything. I've thawed it out and soaked up the ice water out of it as much as possible, but am obviously hesitant to try turning it on again. Anyone ever experience this? Is this a freon leak or something, or is it something I can fix myself? Am I risking electircal fire or anything by trying? We're probably going to move in a couple years, so I'd rather not buy a new unit.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Sounds like maybe the compressor is kicking (which is the noise you're hearing) but the fan motor is out, so all that humidity in the air is staying inside the unit and freezing.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
It should still work once everything is thawed out, they freeze when there's not enough warm air flowing. There's either dirt in your air filters, air compressor, or coils.

Turn on the fan to defrost the whole system, clear out the filters, and check the vents for any obstruction. Then turn on the AC and see if it still freezes. If it does, turn off the AC and use the fan to defrost, while calling an HVAC repair tech.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
What GG said. This happened in July to my central air unit. I was running it too often because I was trying to dry a shitload of wall paint and what you described is essentially what happened to the giant contraption in the attic.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
They can also freeze up when the coolant level is low. I had an old wall AC that did this, fan going full tilt, compressor definitely doing it's job but when there is not enough coolant in the line the pressure drops accordingly causing the coils to drop below freezing point. Mix that with moisture in the air and you have an ice block!

Clean the coils, ensure the fans are working and failing that you have a coolant issue.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Just repeating some of what has been said already and I'm no expert but here is my experience with icing over on chillers for beer and walk in refrigerators. It's not totally unusual.

I'd say you're fine to defrost it, make sure it's getting clean air flow, clean condenser fins (the aluminum things, don't brush them, they will bend, they make cleaning sprays), clean filters, make sure fans are running, etc. And then start it up again.

But if it does freeze up again, it could be low on refrigerant, like Lach said. At that point, you probably need a tech to find and fix the leak and refill the system with the right amount of refrigerant.

Good luck, it's 70F here all week :o

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
Shut it off let it melt and restarting it the next day , my old Samsung refrigerator does that the condensation get freezed up and it need to be unplugged, thawed and restart the next day.

While you are at it and the ac is shut off completely you can clean the coils with some compress air it will help with the air flow , just YouTube it .

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You can get the same issue with low Freon or coolant, but the clicking noise does suggest a compressor issue as others mentioned.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
That's happened to me from not cleaning the filter.