Art of Fighting Anthology

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
YO-YO-Boy said:
lol watch this shit get pushed back 3 years and then canned(kofrebout)!:multi_co:

or get released and played at evo2k8....:eek_2:

don't even remind me, that shit was depressing as fuck.

Black Noah

Another Striker
Advice

MUSOLINI said:
its just some hype about a fucked up game series. only 3 is worth playing and even that one isnt all that. you can like as its your opinion. but please understand that in any book or country or whatever this game is called garbage. same as WH. you can like it, doesnt change the fact its garbage. no this isnt just my opinion, its the opinion of 90% of all the people who play fighters. lets not even talk about the people who hardly play fighters. if they would release rise of the robots for the ps2, you could also make a thread about the game. but it still wouldnt change the fact that the game sucks, even if you like it.

I think you might be taken a bit more seriously if you'd give your reasons as to why you think each individual game sucks. Otherwise, you're just coming off as a troll. Don't act like you don't know why you're getting so much shit over your posts.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
that'd be nice if they included the online play too

but I HIGHLY doubt it

but this release is still a big WTF?

why not KOF?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Black Noah said:
I think you might be taken a bit more seriously if you'd give your reasons as to why you think each individual game sucks. Otherwise, you're just coming off as a troll. Don't act like you don't know why you're getting so much shit over your posts.
He's given his reasons in other threads. They're actually pretty solid reasons, although I don't agree with them personally, and I don't really want to hear them again here, either.

The more I think about it, the more surreal it feels that Art of Fighting is what SNKP USA chooses to bring here. Not KOF. Not SamSho. AOF. AOF is their big play. It is bizarre whether you love the series or hate it. At the series' height, it had zero popularity here... I can't think of anything that would make them think suddenly this would be their best shot at 2D sales.

This has to be some kind of weird miscommunication between SNKP and SNKP USA or something. I doubt this coming to pass more than I doubted Rebout.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
The more I think about it, the more surreal it feels that Art of Fighting is what SNKP USA chooses to bring here. Not KOF. Not SamSho. AOF. AOF is their big play. It is bizarre whether you love the series or hate it.

AOF3 has a great 1p mode

and AOF1 is pure nostalgia

AOF2 is a bastard of a game (I'm scared Wes will chime in and profess his undying love for the game, all the while lambasting me to no end for shunning it)

I'll probably buy it (hopefully it's not censored)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
roker said:
AOF3 has a great 1p mode

and AOF1 is pure nostalgia

AOF2 is a bastard of a game (I'm scared Wes will chime in and profess his undying love for the game, all the while lambasting me to no end for shunning it)

I'll probably buy it (hopefully it's not censored)
Hey, I love all three games. But how many people can say that? 5? 15? Don't try waiting for this to drop price joining the 'Greatest Hits' label.

I don't think AOF1 is nostolgia for many folks outside of the people right here.

Which is about the same number of people that have even heard about AOF3.

If it happens -- cool. But it's an odd move on SNKP USA's part.

Irem

New Challenger
AoF2 IS a bastard of a game, but I like it alot.

Why? I like its appeal. Those king size but lousy animated fighters. They are all stereotype too and the ingame quotes are downright idiotic. I also like the son of a bitch CPU, in a masochistic way. It feels good when you conquer it or out-cheap it. Stages and music were cool too.

AoF1 was pretty decent.. in 1P mode and in 1993 or so. I liked its storymode. Vs mode was a joke.

AoF3.. didn't play it nearly as much as 1 and 2.

I might buy the collection for AoF3, since I don't own it on AES and also not planning to do so (for me its not worth its pricetag).

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I really liked AOF 3 for it's style of music, combo system and the frame rate of the characters are right up there with MOTW. Originally I got it on NeoCD like in 1997, so it blew me away in those days. Especially with the arranged soundtrack, but it was funny to see the character sizes didn't match up with the win screens. Soon after that I find out after hearing about the 25% character size reduced.

Too bad the story line didn't do a whole lot for the other characters other than Ryo and Robert.

I just recently bought it for cart like 1 1/2 years ago and enjoy playing in component video on my AES for a change and no loading, but the music is different in a somewhat lesser way.

It is weird for a PS2 collection in the US to come out, WTF? I want KOF XI damnit, all we got was NeoWave. Also the RB FF collection would sweet, but there comes a time to just buy a damn magic disk I guess.

Irem

New Challenger
Its pretty ironic thay we in Europe get all of those games like KOFXI, NGBC and Raiden 3 on Ps2 nowadays. I believe it has to do with Sony America's policy towards retro and/or 2D. They only want it to be released in packs and for a budget price.

In that context it makes sense that AoF collection will hit the US, and KOF XI won't.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
AOF 3 is really fun and Unique.

As for 1&2, you have to view them in context of the time that they were released. By the same standards, the first edition of SFII pretty much sucks also.

Again, Mussolini is off the mark as WH Pefect is a petty good/fun fighter also.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I'll buy this game, but it'll probably just collect a lot of dust. I just want to support SNK in hopes they bring more games over. AOF3 is entertaining, and 2 is a fucking nazi.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Again, Mussolini is off the mark as WH Pefect is a petty good/fun fighter also.

What would you expect from someone who uses the name of a fucking dictator?. In fat he always speaks like one.

He never leaves room for discussion, he must be right and you must agree to what he writes, even though usually it's hardly understandable, because he doesn't know how to use punctuation signs and construct a sentence properly.

Probably, as the majority of people who dislike AOF2, he thinks that it is very hard and unplayable and he just does not know how to play it properly.

In my case I am big lover of AOF, the first one was a very innovative fighter, introducing that shocking zoom effect back in the day, showing huge fighters on screen and using those cool bonus stages and quite innovative detective storyline formula. AOF2 repeated the formula with better graphics and more characters, so I was in heaven and they are one of my all time favorite fighters/games.

In fact AOF changed the formula so much that I don't like it as much as the other two.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The AOF series is incredibly unique to the genre, in that they were designed wholely for a single-player experience. Each enemy has a weakness that you have to learn to exploit; if you don't, you will die. It might sound odd to people who've never played the games ("dur that's what you do in every fighter"), but everyone else knows what I'm talking about.
In that regard, I can appreciate it for what it is.
I first played the games about a year and a half ago, at first I hated the series but I grew to love it (despite it ripping off SF more than FF).
Never played 3, but I always wanted to -- the AES price of the game is what helped me decide to go MVS.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
AOF>FF*

Does not include Real Bout or MOTW.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Woah, an AOF thread that includes praise!

"SLASH!!!!!!!!!

INITIATE SUPER DEATH BLOW 10 TIMES !!!

Haoh! Shoukou'ken!!

Haoh! Shoukou'ken!!

Haoh! Shoukou'ken!!

Haoh! Shoukou'ken!!

Haoh! Shoukou'ken!!

Haoh! Shoukou'ken!!

Haoh! Shoukou'ken!!

Haoh! Shoukou'ken!!

Haoh! Shoukou'ken!!

Haoh! Shoukou'ken!!

OSU!!!!!!!"

:buttrock: :lolz:

Last edited:

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Never been a huge fan of the series (although I did like AoF2) but I'll probably pick it up, assuming it doesn't get cancelled like Rebout.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
I'll be picking up the AOF collection when it comes out.

AOF1 to see how long I can go without seizure
AOF2 for self torture
AOF3 to see what the hubbub is all about

Can't really go wrong there, and well worth the price of admission.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Does anyone else think 1 looks better than 2?
2 looks like it has regular old sprites, but 1 looks different...kinda surreal, almost.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
LoneSage said:
Does anyone else think 1 looks better than 2?
2 looks like it has regular old sprites, but 1 looks different...kinda surreal, almost.

Yep, to me AOF1 has some of the most beautiful 2D graphics I've ever seen, even until now.

EDIT: Aside the gorgeously shaded, colored, drawn humongous sprites, some of the stages really blew my mind.

Jack's stage. Ever seen a bar look that good in a video game?

Lee's stage. The vibrance of this stage still amazes me.

Mr. Big and Mr. Karate's stages also are beautiful. The whole game is beautiful.

Playing AOF1 was like a Hi-tech movie/adventure/'super cool new fighting game other than SFII' in those glorious days, because of the orgasmic graphics for us NG virgins, incredible sound and BGMs, ZOOM!!!, super cool new moves/specials/supers, and hot stages.

Yeah it might be mostly nostalgia, but I still love how this game looks and plays today, fuck what musolini or other AOF haters say.

My picks for the series:1, 3/2, 2/3

Last edited:

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
Pep said:
What would you expect from someone who uses the name of a fucking dictator?. In fat he always speaks like one.

He never leaves room for discussion, he must be right and you must agree to what he writes, even though usually it's hardly understandable, because he doesn't know how to use punctuation signs and construct a sentence properly.

Probably, as the majority of people who dislike AOF2, he thinks that it is very hard and unplayable and he just does not know how to play it properly.

In my case I am big lover of AOF, the first one was a very innovative fighter, introducing that shocking zoom effect back in the day, showing huge fighters on screen and using those cool bonus stages and quite innovative detective storyline formula. AOF2 repeated the formula with better graphics and more characters, so I was in heaven and they are one of my all time favorite fighters/games.

In fact AOF changed the formula so much that I don't like it as much as the other two.

chill the fuck down with the hate bitch. pep, poop, pihatch or how ever the fuck you wanna be called. in fat shut the fuck up. you dont have to agree to shit that i say. besides i only talk normal to people who know how to talk normally themselves. thus perhaps not you.

p.s. when i actually played the game i could finish it with most characters in 1 credit. just because you know how to play something doesnt make it good or bad moron.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Regardless of all the crap posted in this thread, a real Neo fan is going to buy this if and when it shows up stateside. Shit, just the theme from Todo's stage is enough to get me pumped for it. How can a real SNK fan hear that fucking awesome hit sound that sounds like a racquetball shot out of a cannon striking concrete and not be excited?

For fuck's sake man...for $20 or $30 bucks, this is a good deal. They aren't the greatest games ever in terms of being competitive fighters, but they are fun vintage fighting games. Y'all need to relax.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Loopz said:
Regardless of all the crap posted in this thread, a real Neo fan is going to buy this if and when it shows up stateside. Shit, just the theme from Todo's stage is enough to get me pumped for it. How can a real SNK fan hear that fucking awesome hit sound that sounds like a racquetball shot out of a cannon striking concrete and not be excited?

For fuck's sake man...for $20 or $30 bucks, this is a good deal. They aren't the greatest games ever in terms of being competitive fighters, but they are fun vintage fighting games. Y'all need to relax.

Nice post man, along with others in this thread. Any hardcore NGer has to love this series. I feel everything u said.

And Todo's stage BGM has come to be Ryo's theme :buttrock:

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Dont' give a shit.

AOF1/2 have fond memories for me. AOF3's system is smooth and is rather enjoyable.

Man, the lineup in AOF2 made me happy knowing the number of playables in it...