Boxing thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Heavyweight is still very shallow, unfortunately. Fury, Wilder, and Joshua at the top. Ruiz in shape is a contender. Ortiz and Povetkin are probably too old. Hunter and Usyk might be too small. Everybody else is prospect level, completely washed, fringe contender, or just plain garbage.

But it's still more exciting because anything can happen. For a long while, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Klitschko brothers were gonna dominate. And I believe both Klitschkos in their prime were better than today's big three, but neither of them ever had a real rival. They beat some great fighters but it was business as usual. Wilder and Fury are rivals, and eventually one of them is gonna take all Joshua's belts.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Some fights on FS1 tonight. No big names, nothing close to the insane Saturday we have ahead of us, but it should be worth a watch.

In other news, Oleksandr Usyk vs Dereck Chisora is finally official for October 31. The fight has been delayed three times due to injuries and COVID.

This is an important fight because Usyk is the mandatory challenger to the WBO heavyweight title, which Anthony Joshua currently holds in addition to two other major belts (WBA Super and IBF) and one minor belt (IBO).

If Usyk wins, he has promised he will not step aside and allow Joshua to fight the winner of Wilder vs Fury III in an undisputed title fight next year. He will insist that the WBO enforce his mandatory status, which means Joshua would either have to delay the Fury/Wilder fight to fight Usyk or vacate the WBO belt to go through with the bigger fight. In that case, Usyk would face another contender for the vacant title. That would likely be former champ Joseph Parker, Daniel Dubois, former champ Andy Ruiz, or Michael Hunter.

So if we want an undisputed champ next year, everybody should be rooting for Chisora.

Chisora himself is a gatekeeper. A solid fighter who beats bad fighters and sometimes beats good ones, but usually loses to the top level competition.

If Usyk can't beat him, he can't compete at heavyweight and should drop back down to cruiser. If he does beat him, then he has a chance against Joshua.

famicommander

15 Year Member
ahahahahaha

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr just got beaten by a dude who was 11-0, but had only fought club level fighters. Dude is 30 with only 11 (now 12) pro fights, a part timer with a day job, and he just completely dominated JCC Jr and made him quit (cut on an accidental headbutt, JCC didn't want to continue, went to the cards, Cazares won).

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
ahahahahaha

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr just got beaten by a dude who was 11-0, but had only fought club level fighters. Dude is 30 with only 11 (now 12) pro fights, a part timer with a day job, and he just completely dominated JCC Jr and made him quit (cut on an accidental headbutt, JCC didn't want to continue, went to the cards, Cazares won).

JCC Jr. Is washed up. After stopping the fight he is talking shit in the corner saying the other guy didn't even fight.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Today is the big day

2:30 PM ET, ESPN+
Josh Taylor vs. Apinun Khongsong, 12 rounds, for Taylor's IBF/WBA/Ring junior welterweight title
Charlie Edwards vs. Kyle Williams, 10 rounds, bantamweights
David Oliver Joyce vs. Ionut Baluta, 10 rounds, junior featherweights
Willy Hutchinson vs. TBA, 10 rounds, super middleweights
George Davey vs. Jeff Thomas, 4 rounds, junior middleweights
Eithan James vs. TBA, 4 rounds, junior welterweights

3:00 PM ET, DAZN:
Yuniel Dorticos vs. Mairis Briedis, 12 rounds, for Dorticos' IBF and vacant lineal/Ring cruiserweight title -- World Boxing Super Series final
Denis Radovan vs. Robert Talarek, 10 rounds, middleweights
Leon Bunn vs. Timo Laine, 8 rounds, super middleweights
Sophie Alisch vs. Edina Kiss, 8 rounds, female featherweights

7:00 PM ET, Showtime PPV
Jermall Charlo vs. Sergiy Derevyanchenko, 12 rounds, for Charlo's WBC middleweight title
Jermell Charlo vs. Jeison Rosario, 12 rounds, for Charlo's WBC, Rosario's WBA (Super)/IBF, and vacant Ring super welterweight title
Brandon Figueroa vs. Damien Vasquez, 12 rounds, for Figueroa's WBA "regular" junior featherweight title
John Riel Casimero vs. Duke Micah, 12 rounds, for Casimero's WBO bantamweight title
Daniel Roman vs. Juan Carlos Payano, 12 rounds, junior featherweights

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Anything worth mentioning from yesterday's venues?
I can get into the fights when they're good and forget that there are no crowds, but it is a challenge.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Anything worth mentioning from yesterday's venues?
I can get into the fights when they're good and forget that there are no crowds, but it is a challenge.

Briedis vs Dorticos was a decent but unremarkable fight.

Taylor obliterated Khongsong.

Charlo vs Derevyanchenko was a good one.

Charlo vs Rosario was weird as fuck. Rosario seemed to be winning every round except he hit the canvas every time Charlo clipped him with something. Got KO'd on a jab to the body, looked like it knocked the wind out of him and he couldn't get up in time.

Nery vs Alameda was unexpectedly good.

Casimero blew Micah away

Roman vs Payano was a bad decision, good fight

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Briedis vs Dorticos was a decent but unremarkable fight.

Taylor obliterated Khongsong.

Charlo vs Derevyanchenko was a good one.

Charlo vs Rosario was weird as fuck. Rosario seemed to be winning every round except he hit the canvas every time Charlo clipped him with something. Got KO'd on a jab to the body, looked like it knocked the wind out of him and he couldn't get up in time.

Nery vs Alameda was unexpectedly good.

Casimero blew Micah away

Roman vs Payano was a bad decision, good fight

Cheers for that mate

famicommander

15 Year Member
Good lord.

Anyone reading this thread, seek out and watch Baranchyk vs Zepeda.

Nine knockdowns in a five round fight, even though one was incorrectly ruled a slip. The ninth was a massive KO. Both guys marked up and bleeding, too.

famicommander

15 Year Member
First knockdown:
6cFycB0.gif

Second knockdown:
dH4tI7J.gif

Third knockdown (ruled a slip):
LVwxMPh.gif

Fourth knockdown:
BvVlH9B.gif

Fifth knockdown:
Jsk1djU.gif

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sixth knockdown:
l5mbpDH.gif

Seventh knockdown:
GizCA3K.gif

Eighth knockdown:
qSmuOXQ.gif

Ninth and final:
M0eo0pn.gif

famicommander

15 Year Member
Some sanity in boxing today.

WBO mandatory challenger Jack Catterall has agreed to step aside to allow WBA/IBF/Ring Magazine champion Josh Taylor fight WBC/WBO champion Jose Carlos Ramirez for the undisputed and vacant lineal super lightweight world championship. Catterall had threatened to force his mandatory status, which would force Ramirez to either delay the Taylor fight to fight Catterall or vacate the WBO belt to fight Taylor. Now Taylor and Ramirez fight for all the belts, with Catterall being guaranteed a shot at the winner. So it's good for him too; he gets a shot at all the belts instead of just one or two.

Anyway, tonight is Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship 13. Olympic bronze medalist Nico Hernandez debuts, there's a heavyweight title fight, and Dave Rickels debuts. Should be awesome.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Talk of Fury Wilder III collapsing, what's the back story Fami?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Talk of Fury Wilder III collapsing, what's the back story Fami?

Nobody knows for sure but the two main theories are

1. The promoters don't want to stage the fight without a crowd because that's a huge revenue source and they aren't sure if they can make money without it

and/or

2. Wilder was hurt worse than we thought as far as his torn bicep and he hasn't had time to train. Word is he wanted to push the fight into 2021 and Fury is dead set on fighting in 2020, even if it's not against Wilder.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Maybe the best BKFC card yet next month:
EkI_vPQX0AAw0w7

Palomino:
26-17-0-0 (15 KO, 2 submission) in pro MMA
2-0-0-0 (1 KO) in pro bare knuckle

Alers:
14-4-0-1 in pro MMA (2 KO, 10 submission)
4-0-0-0 in pro bare knuckle (3 KO)

Bedford:
23-14-1-1 in pro MMA (10 KO, 9 submission)
5-0-0-0 in pro bare knuckle (3 KO)

Nguyen:
20-3-0-0 in pro boxing (7 KO)
2-0-0-0 in pro bare knuckle (1 KO)

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I think bare knuckle boxing as a modern resurgence of a age old tradition is genius and inspired. But I still can't watch it, its just too violent, and I know it's mostly just a mental thing.but I can't help it

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Literally the first 6 rounds except for the second round went to Lopez, Loma just gave away too much. Not a draw, fair win for Lopez but no KO by anyone and Loma was showing too much respect for Teo's power.
It almost reminded me of the GGG vs Jacobs fight a bit. Jacobs was lighting it up towards the end but not enough in the beginning.

Congrats to Teofimo

famicommander

15 Year Member
I scored it 116-112 Lopez.

I think Lopez swept 1-7, Lomachenko swept 8-11, Lopez won 12.

No way Lomachenko won the second round. He landed one combination in the round and Ward gives it to him.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I scored it 116-112 Lopez.

I think Lopez swept 1-7, Lomachenko swept 8-11, Lopez won 12.

No way Lomachenko won the second round. He landed one combination in the round and Ward gives it to him.

All I know is he never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
As much as I love Loma, Lopez deserved this win. Loma came way too late while Lopez survived the second half of the fight with grace. Looking forward tona rematch though, should be a hell of a fight.

famicommander

15 Year Member
As much as I love Loma, Lopez deserved this win. Loma came way too late while Lopez survived the second half of the fight with grace. Looking forward tona rematch though, should be a hell of a fight.

There is no rematch clause. Lopez will likely try to fight Haney and take his fake belt.

Lomachenko should move back down to 130.