Elden Ring official discussion

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Just beat Godrick the grafted. Guess I unlocked some new mechanics.

Stormveil Castle was a great dungeon, tons of secrets and even a hidden boss/mini-boss.

I had an easier time with Godrick than Margit.

I’ve been spamming spells at most bosses but Godrick I actually had to go in and hit with my twin blade. Really felt like I got his patterns down towards the end though some of his stuff is still BS lol.
Where'd you find the twin blade? I just recently killed a red phantom (someting about the finger.. in that big ravine in Limgrave) and I got some armor and a halberd type thing. Also somehow found a staff somewhere, but my Int is too low to even look at it right now.

I still havent gone against Margit yet lol. Having too much fun roaming the world and finding weird shit. Just in case you dont want spoilers to the areas of the game I've tagged it. Again, I havent gotten past Margit, so if anything you know more about the story than I do but still:

Spoiler:
I somehow found some underground world, and it had this huge temple with a dead (what looks to be a) huge deer in it. Doesn't do anything. Then I noticed there were some weird stone pillar type things you could light, and a corresponding pillar at the temple with the carcass would light up. There are 8. I found em all (tons of blue barbarian/minotaur type dudes that rape your butthole with giant blue arrows) and lit them. Went to check the carcass - it becomes a portkey (heheh harry potter nerd over here) - and then you fight the deer when it was alive. And huge. And on fire. One shotted me, and all of my phantom doggies.

It was fucking awesome.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Twinblade acccording to the wiki is in
Spoiler:
Dragon Burnt Ruins

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also I’m dumb and didn’t realize you could cast magic from Torrent. You just need your casting item in your right hand lol. I usually keep it in left hand.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I started as a wretch to just check it out.

Word to the wise - If you get to the ruins by the Dragon bosses area, (there are zombies and shaggy dogs) - there is a basement type thing where there's a chest.

Fuck that chest. It's a trap. It takes you to some crystal cave where everything is about 3083734 levels above you and can pretty much one shot your ass. If you can buzz past everything and hit a grace point, then right past that, exit the cave - and teleport the fuck out. It's also an area where you can be invaded and raped.

In the network test it held a cool weapon, I think. But this one traps your ass in that cave.
You can escape by running to the left of your spawn point. The workers need a strike weapon, but there's some kind of crawdad overseer who fires more projectiles than a veritech from Macross, all with an aimbot.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Lol thats what I thought of too! Fuckin Valkyrie salvo lol.

@Laggers - I got the twinblade. For some reason I kept missing that in the ruins. I was like - no... thats where the trap chest is, can't be. But then I realized I was missing something pretty simple.

My goal was to do sort of a swords and sorcery "build," but my Samurai started with a bow, and I just got some kind of heavyass bow and it works fantastic for projectile baiting stuff. I did get one magic thing though, a Clawmark rune (ref to Bloodborne?) that is basically a talisman from Demons' souls that allows you some magic capability. Got me a firebawl.

edit: speaking of the trap chest - I realized you can roll back quick enough and escape the smoke.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I was half excited for this game until I realized I had bought Demon's Souls with the PS5 and to this day I have yet to insert the disc into the console. Feels bad.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I was thinking I'd finish up Ringed City in Dark Souls 3 before I started this, but finally said f it and started up a character last night. Went Warrior originally intending to go straight Dex/Twinblade, but it sounds like hybrid builds are more useful than in the past so I'm thinking I'll be a little more flexible than that probably.

Is anyone playing it in Quality Mode? Given the inconsistent framerate in Performance Mode (playing on PS5), I'm sort of tempted to just play in the former since it's a locked 30 FPS and wouldn't stutter.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
On Series X I’m on frame rate priority mode.

I just got two new staffs, each boosting a certain type of sorcery.

Very cool.

There is a magic sword attack that seems really good. Casts fast and being magic can’t be necessarily fully blocked.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
The Samurai is cool but I think I'm going to restart the game with the confessor just to see what the hype is all about. I'll also try beating the tutorial boss while I'm at it. The shield he's dropping looks dope.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah but that shield needs like 24 dex or something. Does the 'fessor start with that spec?

I FINALLY decided to go and hit up Margit, and even though I'm fairly leveled for the part of the story I'm in, he still did me in pretty good. But I'm chippin' him down. In the net test it took me prob about 20 or so tries to kill him.

I have 3 phantoms I like to use, the wolves which are great, but die pretty easy against heavy hitters, the Godric (??) soldiers who are pretty good tanks, but need like almost your entire FP bar, and two zombies. If you get lucky, the zombies are fucking invincible. They can take a decent amount of damage and aggro stuff, but if they die, they will resurrect with full life bars - providing their bones aren't hit while reviving. So technically you can have these dudes with you for a big part of a fight.

I worked my way all the way down south and found some cool shit, got another sorcerer's staff, several shields, and some armor. Im wearing some leather that I got, haven't been paying much attention to the stats. But I found some kind of lion/harpy thing that was giving me trouble. Good thing there are a couple graces nearby, I can always come back and finish the job.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Where’d you get zombie spirits (hint please!)

I have been mainly using the Demi-Human spirits.

I also use the NPC summon both Margit and later Godrick.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

I have been mainly using the Demi-Human spirits.

I also use the NPC summon both Margit and later Godrick.
I'll have to look it up. Since I've been wandering around a lot I can't remember where. Ill look it up and report back!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

The ashes are dropped by the Tibia Mariner boss, near Summonwater. I spoiler tagged some info on the fight and its place on the map, just in case you didnt want that much info.

Spoiler:
It's a fairly easy fight. Think of the Witches of Hemwick Charnel Lane from Bloodborne. You hit it for a bit, it disappears and appears somewhere else in the area. But you also have to deal with zombies. You can kill the zombies, but more of them still respawn over and over through the fight. Attacks by the boss are super telegraphed. I beat it the first time I got to it.

On the map its to the east of Stormveil. Check it:

1646146009076.png

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The ashes are dropped by the Tibia Mariner boss, near Summonwater. I spoiler tagged some info on the fight and its place on the map, just in case you didnt want that much info.

Spoiler:
It's a fairly easy fight. Think of the Witches of Hemwick Charnel Lane from Bloodborne. You hit it for a bit, it disappears and appears somewhere else in the area. But you also have to deal with zombies. You can kill the zombies, but more of them still respawn over and over through the fight. Attacks by the boss are super telegraphed. I beat it the first time I got to it.

On the map its to the east of Stormveil. Check it:

View attachment 56033

Dang I actually have that summon, lol - I didn’t realize they worked like the actual zombies/undead in the game. Very cool.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I found out through MVG on twitter that I evidently missed out on a weapon or tool that could be pretty useful.

Since this is a FROM game, you can betchoazz that Patches shows up. Halfway though his fight he gives up and offers you a chest. I dont trust that POS lol so I killed him. I thought if I stopped attacking that he'd murder me or throw me in another pit. Nope, apparently he *actually* gives up, and gives you Margit's Shackle. Supposedly its like the tiny music box for Gascoigne in BB.

Shit. Im like 12 hours in at this point. I dont wanna restart yet to get that.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
SPOILER

I love, love, love the way they turned the hollowing mechanic around in this.

I imagine most people playing the game are having a decent time, feeling a little under-leveled maybe.

Then, who knows how many hours in, you activate Godrick's rune and it turns out you've *been* "hollow" until now.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I found out through MVG on twitter that I evidently missed out on a weapon or tool that could be pretty useful.

Since this is a FROM game, you can betchoazz that Patches shows up. Halfway though his fight he gives up and offers you a chest. I dont trust that POS lol so I killed him. I thought if I stopped attacking that he'd murder me or throw me in another pit. Nope, apparently he *actually* gives up, and gives you Margit's Shackle. Supposedly its like the tiny music box for Gascoigne in BB.

Shit. Im like 12 hours in at this point. I dont wanna restart yet to get that.

You have to buy it from him for 5000 runes. You’ll be fine without it.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
If anyone really wants to know what spending an Arc Rune to activate Godrick's Great Rune does:

Spoiler:
It adds five points to EACH of your attributes until you die, at which point the rune deactivates. A level 40 character becomes, effectively, level 80.

I have burned through my Arc Runes like a JUNKIE. I thought I'd mostly be avoiding multiplayer but fuck that. Summon me bitch. You want me to kill someone? You want to die? Whatever's your poison, I just want my runes.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Ive gotten two arc runes... but I dont remember where. Are these similar to boss souls?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
They're closer to humanity or stones of ephemeral eyes. They activate an equipped great rune which confers benefits until your next death.

In previous games, especially Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2, dying and losing your "humanity" felt like a penalty. In Elden Ring, you go so long without even having a great rune, and the powers the great rune grants feel so significant, that you frame it differently... especially at first.

The reason I say I burned through my arc runes like a junkie is that it feels like withdrawal when you don't have any left.
Spoiler:
When I die and respawn, I'm used to running right back into the fight, but, oh... Oh shit. I feel so heavy. I'm fatrolling in armor that was no problem before. Half of the incantations I've memorized don't work. I don't have the FP for my equipped spirit summon. FUCK. How do people live like this?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The reason I say I burned through my arc runes like a junkie is that it feels like withdrawal when you don't have any left.

Also, my response to not being able to get a hit is to take off all my clothes and run into a room screaming, grabbing what I can and stabbing the occupants until I get put down.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m curious what the other great runes do. How do I get more arc runes?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also…charged attacks do so much more damage.

I was having trouble with a gimmick boss (Snail Spirit Caller) - the actual damage phase is a DPS race and I was doing pitiful damage until I started doing Charged Heavy attacks.