Fatal Fury Special isn't that special

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It is more manageable than FF2. As it has been said in FF2 Andy and Billy are real tough.
I think that the only thing that I prefer in FF2 compared to FFS is the color of the background, I feel that the colors used in FF2 are more "realistic"

Throw crouch jabs repeatedly until Andy throws a fireball (which he'll eventually do. He may dash back before he does it too, which is a plus), then do Kim's hishokyaku right in front of him without hitting him, and 9 times out of 10 he'll do a shoryudan, which you let whiff or block, and when he lands you combo the shit out of him.

Same thing goes with Billy for crouching jabs. Whiff a hishokyaku, and he'll do the move where his pole tries to hit at an arch. When he does this, just do your CD attack, which will knock him into gears for extra damage.

You can really control the CPU with dumb shit like crouching jabs. Of course, this only applies when using Kim. I'm sure you can somehow use the crouching jabs with other characters to their advantage.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
This thread lacks some FFS quality matches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3F3mjbwUSs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJvJKR4jgQ

+ tons of other at that youtube account.

Man, I'm watching the first one, and that Geese sucks. There's no reason Axel should win that match. He lets Axel jump in on him for free almost all the time.

I remember somebody talking about an arcade in Japan that has a whole floor of cabinets dedicated solely to Fatal Fury Special. How fucking awesome is that?

I guess that geese players wasn´t confident enough to play offensively against axel because of his devastating combos.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I just read the comments to the video. The timing isn't that hard to pull off those walking combos in a real match. Why you don't see more people doing this, I don't know, but it can't be out of difficulty.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I guess that geese players wasn´t confident enough to play offensively against axel because of his devastating combos.

It's not even about playing offensively. There were times Axel jumped in on him while he was waking up and it's nothing a high counter wouldn't have fixed. Not only that, the counter would've put Axel in the corner, where Geese could've went for blockstrings/tick throws. He also rarely made use of the guard counter, too. But maybe you're right, and he just got mental-fucked in the fight.

I just read the comments to the video. The timing isn't that hard to pull off those walking combos in a real match. Why you don't see more people doing this, I don't know, but it can't be out of difficulty.

I don´t know what to think of these vids, in the last attack of the last vid (3/3), kim escapes the walk combo. Maybe the timing has to be really precise.

It´s nice to see a vid were the players make effective use of the fighting lanes btw.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Special's just an inferior ripoff of SFII: Champion Edition.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Now you're just doing a bad job of trolling.

@metallizer - I usually don't go for the infinite. To be safe and consistent, I'll usually link the jabs into standing C and combo a special/super.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
It is more manageable than FF2. As it has been said in FF2 Andy and Billy are real tough.
I think that the only thing that I prefer in FF2 compared to FFS is the color of the background, I feel that the colors used in FF2 are more "realistic"

I miss the bonus stages too, as unimportant and useless as they were/are. That music is awesome.

Great thread with lots of great talk about a truly classic old school fighter.

Annatar

Kabuki Klasher
Special's just an inferior ripoff of SFII: Champion Edition.

WHAT:blow_top:, no man :shame: you are totally out of your mind, i think you should really play FFS first, but for real, and then make a real judgement of the game instead of babbling nonsense like that

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
But, it's true.
the whole world warrior gimmick, being able to play as bosses -- total ripoff of SFII CE.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
But, it's true.
the whole world warrior gimmick, being able to play as bosses -- total ripoff of SFII CE.

Right, because all fighting games have a real unique story line right? And being able to play as bosses is equally as unique.

These are not defining characteristics of SFII CE.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ryo himself was a ripoff of Ryu, they just changed a letter.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Ryo wears an undershirt, throws bigger fireballs, and has a super move. He also does his dragon punch with his body facing towards the screen. Not to mention he has move where he punches the guy like a hundred times. Ryo is most certainly not a ripoff of that generic karate guy, Ryu. If anything, Ryu was a copy of that asshole from Karate Champ, or Chuck Norris.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Akuma has an air fireball.

It's either ripped off from Geese or Rainbow Edition.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I just don't see why you keep burying yourself like this sage. You are starting to dissapoint me brother.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c

Wow, that's a great match!

Seriously though, at the time FF:S WAS a rip off of SF2: CE. Everyone knows that, it's just these days they are obviously different beasts, that are great in their own ways.

It's no secret that SNK fighters originally mimicked street fighter.

Hanzo & Fuuma? Obviously Ryu & Ken.

Despite the sad truth that FFS was SNK's answer to SF (knockoff), it's still a damn fine game...and I feel it's one of the best fighters ever made....right up there with super turbo.