• Final Doom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doom VFR

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Now that Eternal is out, Doom 64 has been re-released, Sigil is available on consoles, and all the PS4/Switch/Xbone ports have been fixed I thought it might be time to revisit it.

I actually changed my answer since the last poll. I originally voted Ultimate Doom, but then I ran through the whole series waiting for Eternal to release and decided Doom 64 is the best.

Also use this thread to discuss how rad Eternal is.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
What’s makes you think doom 64 is the best? I beat it again about 3 years ago and while it’s miles ahead of doom 3 I still prefer ultimate doom or doom II.

I was wondering if anyone got a chance to play doom 64 on pc or a modern console yet? I think doom is best on pc and I am most likely going to buy it on steam unless it’s a crappy port.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
No one plays Doom64 except Fami.

famicommander

15 Year Member
What’s makes you think doom 64 is the best? I beat it again about 3 years ago and while it’s miles ahead of doom 3 I still prefer ultimate doom or doom II.

I was wondering if anyone got a chance to play doom 64 on pc or a modern console yet? I think doom is best on pc and I am most likely going to buy it on steam unless it’s a crappy port.

Doom 64 has the best level design, sound effects, graphics, and atmosphere of any of the classic Dooms. There are zero bad maps and I feel like the difficulty ramps up at a reasonable pace. It's more difficult on average than Doom or Doom II, but there are no retarded-hard maps like E4M2 or E4M6 from Ultimate Doom (except Hectic, which is a secret map). And there are no terrible maps in Doom 64, while Doom II has a handful of stinkers. I won't say the soundtrack is "better" than the other Doom games because they all have awesome soundtracks, but the ambient music really contributes to the atmosphere in the game.

Also there are actual gameplay advancements for the first time since Doom II. Weapons have knockback, the super shotgun reloads faster, there's a brand new weapon (the Unmaker), it allows infighting between Hell Knights and Barons of Hell, Lost Souls are smarter and faster but easier to kill, there are dynamic features in the levels like projectile booby traps, and more advanced level geometry.

The only thing it's missing is a few of the enemies (chaingunner, revenant, archvile, spider mastermind), but it does include nightmare imps and the mother demon which none of the other games have.

The port itself is rock solid on all platforms. Runs on great shitty PC hardware and Switch. And it comes with a brand new epilogue episode (7 maps) that bridges the story between the end of Doom 64 and the start of Doom 2016.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Kinda not loving Eternal so far. It's slower than 2016 with a bizarre and annoying emphasis on platforming sections. 2016 knew what it was good at and stuck with that, Eternal is about 75% that plus 25% shit.

2016 was great.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Doom 64 > Doom 1 series > Doom 2 series > Doom 2016 > Final Doom >>> VFR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Doom 3 series

I never played any of the cell phone games but I bet they don't suck as hard as Doom 3.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Sigil is on consoles?

Are they making you pay for it?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sigil is on consoles?

Are they making you pay for it?

It's a free add-on if you bought Ultimate Doom.

Final Doom is also free if you bought either Ultimate Doom or Doom II, while Master Levels + No Rest for the Living are free add-ons for Doom II.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Kinda not loving Eternal so far. It's slower than 2016 with a bizarre and annoying emphasis on platforming sections. 2016 knew what it was good at and stuck with that, Eternal is about 75% that plus 25% shit.

2016 was great.

Thank you! Yes...agreed. It also switched focus away from "Doom" level design and focuses on these weird, almost puzzle-combat like skirmishes instead. No more exploring while also blowing away everything in sight. I'll try to get through it because...$50...but 2016 was way better.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I sort of agree with you about eternal.

I wouldnt say its slower as such but the combat does not flow as well as 2016.
I am hoping this pace improves as you go through the game and level stuff up.
I think part of its problem is they seemed to of whacked the difficulty up by throwing more higher level demons at you early on so I seem to of been spending more time running looking for health than shooting!

Also the glory kills just dont seem as good.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Thank you! Yes...agreed. It also switched focus away from "Doom" level design and focuses on these weird, almost puzzle-combat like skirmishes instead. No more exploring while also blowing away everything in sight. I'll try to get through it because...$50...but 2016 was way better.

I put another couple hours into it the other night, was trying to get into enough of a groove where I'd want to just blast through it, and instead I ended up putting it on the shelf and doubt I'll go back to it. The way the encounters are designed, just as you described, finally got to where I just hated it.

Eurogamer's review did an okay job of mentioning some of the flaws, but this one from the AVClub does a really good job of explaining how much of a slog the game is to play.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I played a bit further today, I think it would be a better play through second time around once you have unlocked all the abilities and the super shotgun etc.

Once you have unlocked some of the stuff the pace gets better.

Unfortunately though even then its stupidly stacked against you in places (2nd hell priests “body guard”!)

All the different mechanics can make your head spin requiring more concentration than I would like when I just want to charge in and hammer some demons.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Doom 64 for sure. The first two are timeless but I like that 64 feels like classic Doom whilst offering something a bit different. OST and level layout is top notch and you can tell the devs put in a lot of work to make something unique. It kind of reminds me of og Quake at times which is a classic in its own way

famicommander

15 Year Member
Doom 64 for sure. The first two are timeless but I like that 64 feels like classic Doom whilst offering something a bit different. OST and level layout is top notch and you can tell the devs put in a lot of work to make something unique. It kind of reminds me of og Quake at times which is a classic in its own way

id went out of their way to make sure the Doom 64 team at Midway did the Quake port for Nintendo 64 because they were so impressed with the former game.

Same team also did PS1 Doom and PS1 Final Doom.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
id went out of their way to make sure the Doom 64 team at Midway did the Quake port for Nintendo 64 because they were so impressed with the former game.

Same team also did PS1 Doom and PS1 Final Doom.

Nice, did not know that about Quake 64. Will have to fire up the rom and check it out. Doom and Final Doom for PS1 are both great in their own way too.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Seems like doom Eternal is the doom 3 of the modern series of games. I hated the tiny bit of jump platforming in the first game so it’s one I’ll skip. I did love the original levels you could unlock with the modern guns and enemies in dooom 2016!

I’m gonna buy doom 64 on steam tonight and give it another go. Doom is my most nostalgic game series and I’m happy it gets to continue.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nice, did not know that about Quake 64. Will have to fire up the rom and check it out. Doom and Final Doom for PS1 are both great in their own way too.

I love PS1 Doom. The level layouts are different enough that it's essentially its own thing.

Plus there are 8 levels that aren't in the PC version (2 inherited from the Jaguar, 6 entirely original).

There's a fan made .wad out there that ripped those 8 levels out and lets you play them separately (condoom.wad).

There were also the two super secret levels from the OG Xbox ports of Doom and Doom II, sewers.wad and betray.wad, but those are pretty shitty levels. The 8 PS1/Jag maps are ace.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I love PS1 Doom. The level layouts are different enough that it's essentially its own thing.

Plus there are 8 levels that aren't in the PC version (2 inherited from the Jaguar, 6 entirely original).

There's a fan made .wad out there that ripped those 8 levels out and lets you play them separately (condoom.wad).

There were also the two super secret levels from the OG Xbox ports of Doom and Doom II, sewers.wad and betray.wad, but those are pretty shitty levels. The 8 PS1/Jag maps are ace.

I was like 8 when my father bought doom on ps1 for me, every once in awhile the game would disappear from my room. It turns out my mom would hide it from me now and then cause she thought it was too violent. Little did she know I’d been playing doom with my dad on pc since I was 4. When it went missing I‘d just get back on the pc!

Im so happy with the doom 64 port. Who ever had the idea to port doom 64 to modern platforms is a genius.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
They just dropped another update for the modern Doom and Doom II ports.

This further improves the audio and graphics, fixes some bugs including the wake from sleep mode bug on Switch, adds kill/item/secrets trackers to the automap screen, the automap screen has been overhauled to make it easier to read, load times have been improved, etc.

It also adds another community .wad.

Official classic Doom content now available in this ports:
The Ultimate Doom (36 maps)
Sigil (9 maps)
Doom II: Hell on Earth (32 maps)
The Master Levels for Doom II (21 maps)
No Rest for the Living (9 maps)
Final Doom (64 maps)
Doom 64 (32 maps)
The Lost Levels (7 maps)

Final Doom is free if you bought either Doom or Doom II.
Sigil is free if you bought Doom.
Master Levels and NRFTL are free with Doom II.
Lost Levels comes with Doom 64.

Fan .wads now available:
Double Impact (9 maps)
No End in Sight (38 maps)

Double Impact is free as long as you already bought Doom or Doom II. No End in Sight is only for Doom.

These ports have come a long, long way from the trainwrecks they were at launch.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Doom 64 res by platform

PS4 Pro: 4K
Xbox One X: 4K
Xbox One S: 1440p
Switch (docked): 1080p
PS4: 1080p
Xbox One: 1080p
Switch (handheld): 720p

All 60fps. N64 original was 240p, 30fps.

It's a demo-accurate port. No emulation, far more accurate than previous conversions like Doom 64EX and Doom 64 TC (both of which were made by the lead developer of this port).

PS4 and Switch versions use tilt controls to fine tune analog aiming. Both versions also support touch gestures for map controls.

All versions support rumble including PC, Switch version supports HD rumble.

Xbox One port supports full keyboard and mouse controls.

This is, by far, the best console port of any version of Doom ever released.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Doom II!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm actually playing Doom 64 on Switch right now. It's kinda weird.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Another free add-on for the new ports of Ultimate Doom has been released.

This time it's Deathless, a 36 map expansion.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Another free add-on for the new ports of Ultimate Doom has been released.

This time it's Deathless, a 36 map expansion.

Insane Romero made new Doom Levels.