Finally got a god damned PS5

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’ve read Microsoft are so far ‘winning’ this generation purely because they have more consoles available for people to buy and not everyone wants to setup stock alerts like a chode to buy a gaming device. Plus parents who have little to no interest in gaming will just give their little bastards whatever is easiest to buy.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
A year and a half of clicking, monitoring Twitter feeds, hoping I'd get a Sony invite, and it finally happened. How shitty of a state we're in that it's that damn hard to get a current gen console.

What kills me is I was finally able to get one from a friend's brand spanking new PS account getting an invite. My account is 15 years old, and not one invite.

Anyone else still trying to get one, or for those that have, how soon were you able to get it?
Did you get the disc version? I think it's better if it can play HD Blu-rays.
I've always thought Playstations are better than X-Boxes (of the same generation).
what kind of TV do you have?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I’ve read Microsoft are so far ‘winning’ this generation purely because they have more consoles available for people to buy and not everyone wants to setup stock alerts like a chode to buy a gaming device. Plus parents who have little to no interest in gaming will just give their little bastards whatever is easiest to buy.
Well... perhaps the Series X situation has been a little better, but for the most part up until recently you had to be chode there too. You see consoles in stock in stores sometimes now, but you still can't just go online and buy it either. The people I know who bought one had to follow stock updates exactly the same way.

I don't use Gamepass personally, but it seems a lot of Xbox's success is attributed to that. No wonder Sony is doing their own now.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
What's the actual reason for their scarcity, chip shortages?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Did you get the disc version? I think it's better if it can play HD Blu-rays.
I've always thought Playstations are better than X-Boxes (of the same generation).
what kind of TV do you have?
Yup, I got the disc version.

I've had the XBSX since December of '20 so I'm good on the HD Blu-ray front, but I'm also a sucker for steelbook game releases.

Have a 65" Sony OLED. Got it back in 2019. Really amazing picture quality for games, but it misses out on the newer HDMI spec.

Gamepass for X-Box is a big reason why they're currently winning. It's a great service for both PC and console gaming, and it's only going to get better. Sony is smart to join that bandwagon, and Valve might as well for Steam.

Scarcity is chip shortages, supply line issues, and massive amounts of scalping.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Didn't realize it was so hard to find these new consoles. I guess I just have zero interest in them.

Probably put under 200 hours on my PS4 and the majority of that time was Doom. Played the Xbone a bit more but I got that a lot earlier than the PS4. Put more hours on the Switch than both combined, by a lot.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
What's the actual reason for their scarcity, chip shortages?
Yes, and I think it’s probably going to take a few years to ease up so if you can get a PS5 or XSX you’re probably safe from a “pro” version being released for a while. I even bet Nintendo tries to get another 2-3 years out of Switch before any upgrade.