Firearm enthusiast thread

Im in no hurry and have no gunsmith. Ive read the easiest fix is to drill out the barrel pin. Drive the barrel further back till the headspacing is correct, redrill a slightly larger hole for a new oversized barrel pin. Press in a new larger pin.

No bullshit im thinking of going for it with zero specialty tools at home. Also thinking if it goes to a pro I maybe give it a polish barrel and polish receiver back. Yeah so I really dont know.

One gun guy was saying well maybe its best as a wall hangar somewhere, as it obviously is going to always look better than it is going to be comfortable to use. Had me considering hanging it in my master bathroom over the door, so no one can see it but I get to appreciate it every time I poop.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
That job is much more difficult than it sounds.
Without the proper tools you're very likely to ruin everything forever.

That job is much more difficult than it sounds.
Without the proper tools you're very likely to ruin everything forever.

Im pretty sure its as easy as it sounds, at worse I hurt a trunion and barrel, on a super cheap gun so who cares, the collectable part of the rifle is the underfolder. I already have another polish barrel here from a previous trade. Not to mention I can order just a polish made front trunion these days.

Dont you doubt my skills, I dont doubt my skills, Ive done more precise work on much more valuable things. And I like to learn, how would I learn these skills unless I man up and try.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I wouldn’t do it without a hydraulic press.

A press and a jig to hold the barrel and you should be fine.

For the love of Mikhail please dont use a fucking hammer.

Should be an easy fix for a shop that does AKs.

If you want parts Google AK Builder. I think he’s still around. Cool guy out of MO. By sheer coincidence when my friends and I built our AKs more than a decade ago we realized AK Builder was like literally five minutes away from my friends house where we did the build party.visited that shop a couple times.

It’s a shame googles official policy is prohibit gunsmithing videos.

Yep, ive got a drill press, and a 15 ton press, and hammer. Just need a jig if I want to try. You have to admit, this is kind of the perfect rifle to learn on.

If I can recap broadcast monitors and fix just about anything on my vehicles, home etc. why would I be scared of this? Its not like Im setting revolver timing here, just pushing a barrel back a few thousandths.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Remember guys no discharging your firearms into the air like a Madman tomorrow.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Nah man weather was shit for going bush last weekend, might get a chance this weekend to sight her in. I'm itchin to put some rounds through this thing!
Just been working on my safe lining the inside with carpet, lookin real comfy in there now.

In the mean time I'll just dream about this lovely thing and the mortgage I'll need to buy it.

I was a bit overwhelmed the first few times out but also started with a .308 M1A, still enjoyed it.

If I can suggest, grab a small steel target for after you are done sighting in on paper, make sure to set it far enough away or at an angle to prevent dangerous ricochet.

My shooting buddy and I find steel much more fulfilling than paper, something about that ding of lead on steel really makes a brain happy. Ive bought a few spinning and self resetting steel targets and its all I ever want to shoot when Im not zeroing.

Also I wish I would have put serious money into hearing protection earlier.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Still have a Mossberg 88 that I put together several years ago and never shot it. I was debating getting around to adding tactical accessories to it

Underfolder and the garand at a local recommended gunsmith. Should be interesting.

For my next rifle Im either thinking of getting a 44 henry.

Or building myself a ghetto sig spear/ak-ar. Piston operated AR in 762.

Vote now

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Don’t get a lever gun that you can’t load through a King’s gate.

Loading through the magazine tube is lame.

Worth looking at a side eject gun if you want to mount any optics. Also worth looking to see if your gun can take those awesome old school tangent sights.

Most importantly if you get a lever gun in 44mag then you’ll need a single action army in 44mag. Or other suitable old west gun (Schofield, anyone?)

Cowboy Action Shooting is cool :emb:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Don’t get a lever gun that you can’t load through a King’s gate.

Loading through the magazine tube is lame.

Worth looking at a side eject gun if you want to mount any optics. Also worth looking to see if your gun can take those awesome old school tangent sights.

Most importantly if you get a lever gun in 44mag then you’ll need a single action army in 44mag. Or other suitable old west gun (Schofield, anyone?)

Cowboy Action Shooting is cool :emb:
I have a Henry in 44 mag…I wish I didn’t.

I love the round, LOVE reloading it, and running it in my Super Redhawk is amazing.

I thought that I would love a Henry in the same round, I was dead wrong. I hate the fucking thing, I don’t know what the deal is with it, but the damn thing can’t hit the broadside of a barn. I spent two years and easily 500+ rounds trying to make that gun run well and I can’t get any consistency out of it.

January 2022 I bought a CVA scout in 45-70 and I’ve had nothing but good luck with that thing.

One day, if I ever feel like it, I’ll trade that damn Henry off and never look back.

Most of the models Im looking at have the side load gate AND tube loading.

Hey smoke, contact henry, they are ridiculously easy to work with. I had a friend with a 60 year old gun and they fixed an issue, upgraded a few parts, got it back to him in a few weeks. Also knew a guy who bought a new 22 lever action that was having some jams and saw them quickly and easily solve his issue. Arent they kind of known for legendary customer service?

Or, send it my way, $50 shipped.

I would love to own one of their 9mm homesteaders too, kind of mad I got a vityaz clone only for henry to announce those months later.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
lol that 9mm Henry is ugly. Probably fun as hell though.

Get the Ruger Carbine. Have you see the guys put wood stocks and ventilated barrel shrouds on them to make them look like a PPSH?

There are a lot of cool pistol caliber rifle.

Ruger also had/has bolt actions in .357 mag and .44 mag that feed from 10/22 style rotary mags.

I always thought those would be fun guns.

I’ve seen a few rolling block reproductions as well in 44 mag.

2 days turnaround time on that AK, $120. Pushed the barrel back .059. New oversized pin. Easy peasy, didnt even leave a mark that I can see.

Awe man I like the henry pcc, lol. And yeah the only one I have is that vityaz and its SUPER fun, anyone who has tried it says the same thing, that it is way more fun than makes sense.

I’ll look into those ruger bolt actions.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Henry is cool because it’s ‘MURICAN but I think Uberti, Pietta, all those Italian companies make better lever repros.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m watching some reviews of the new Springfield Echelon pistol.

Interesting because it appears to be another mainstream handgun using an internal serialized fire control unit like the SIG P320 and what Defense Dostributed is doing with their 0% Glock clones. Pretty nice for consumers I think.

I’m wondering if this will be the future of strike fired guns.

Will continue to make manufacturing your own gun at home quite easy and I’m all for that.