Man... This sucks... Las Vegas Concert Mass Shooting...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What is the point of this line of argument? That the white guy was not a big deal because he only killed 60 when it could have 2000 with a truck loaded with plant fertilizer?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
What is the point of this line of argument?

At the most basic level I guess it is a counter to the 'guns make it too easy to kill people and therefore should be banned' argument.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
At the most basic level I guess it is a counter to the 'guns make it too easy to kill people and therefore should be banned' argument.

Why engage people on that? I would just ignore it.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
It does kind of fall flat when most of those other things are arguably regulated more strictly. DHS is charged with regulating access to the ammonium nitrate used in fertilizer bombs.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It does kind of fall flat when most of those other things are arguably regulated more strictly. DHS is charged with regulating access to the ammonium nitrate used in fertilizer bombs.

The point still remains though...freedom costs lives. The less you regulate things/people, the more lives will end because of it...and that's the cost of doing business.

Is this a horrifically sad happening? Sure it is...but you have to focus on the big picture. How many die each day because of personal freedoms? How many died that very same day because of cancer, drug abuse, abortion, obesity...things directly due to people being allowed to do things to themselves and others.

If we banned freedoms because 50....or 5000...or even 500,000 die, there's very little we'd be able to do.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
cancer, drug abuse, abortion, obesity...things directly due to people being allowed to do things to themselves and others.

Cancer, if from smoking etc, is self-inflicted. Drug abuse is self-inflicted. Abortion is not murder. Obesity is self-inflicted.

Getting shot in the face because you went to a concert is not.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Cancer, if from smoking etc, is self-inflicted. Drug abuse is self-inflicted. Abortion is not murder. Obesity is self-inflicted.

That's why murder is illegal! Hooray, problem solved.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Christians already using this to proselytize on facebook. Classy.
Had to remove some thumper on my feed for this shit.

cath.PNG

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

You're smarter than that...are you really claiming that smoking only hurts the smoker? Really? Are you also claiming that drug use only hurts the user?

Come on now...

My point is what it is...the cost of personal freedoms is often lives.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
You're smarter than that...are you really claiming that smoking only hurts the smoker? Really? Are you also claiming that drug use only hurts the user?

Come on now...

Drug abuse is a CHOICE. Dont feed me that "addiction is a disease" bleeding-heart bullshit. I'm a firm believer that paramedics should not carry narcan to revive someone whos overdosing.

You sound like that asshole that coughs loudly when you pass a smoker on the street.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Absolute freedom vs. absolute control is a false dichotomy.

Please identify yourselves if you feel otherwise.

And if you want to hold on to your weapons so you can take down FEDGOV if'n you have to, come out and say it. We're adults here.

I'm not advocating a particular policy. I just don't like seeing bad arguments. It seems like people want to jump to fallacies in order to avoid discussion altogether.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Drug abuse is a CHOICE. Dont feed me that "addiction is a disease" bleeding-heart bullshit. I'm a firm believer that paramedics should not carry narcan to revive someone whos overdosing.

You sound like that asshole that coughs loudly when you pass a smoker on the street.

I'm not seeing how this follows from what Smokehouse was saying.

fake

15 Year Member

Come on now...

Likewise, you're still comparing apples and oranges - a sort of nebulous killing vs. explicit, direct, instant murder.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

That's not what I'm saying in the slightest, nor was it the point I was trying to make.

How many lives do drugs cost? In their entirety, I'm not talking just the users. I'm saying that there are literally thousands of things that kill people on a daily basis, many of these things are based on freedoms we now have.

I'll say it again, a free society comes with a price...and to be honest, so does a non-free society. Banning things costs lives as well...

Shit's got me fired up!

Honestly...you're really no longer capable of reading single thing that I have to say with even an ounce of objectivity. You've made your disdain for me beyond clear, as is your prejudice to every fucking word I type. Get mad all you want, as I said above, what you're talking about isn't even close to my overall point.

Absolute freedom vs. absolute control is a false dichotomy.

Please identify yourselves if you feel otherwise.

And if you want to hold on to your weapons so you can take down FEDGOV if'n you have to, come out and say it. We're adults here.

I'm not advocating a particular policy. I just don't like seeing bad arguments. It seems like people want to jump to fallacies in order to avoid discussion altogether.

Was this directed towards me?

If so...my point really has little to do with firearms. My point is that people love to pick and choose what they're currently crying out for the gov to ban based on how they feel about it. Firearm haters want to get all political over the loss of 50 lives, then will gladly defend abortion and obesity...two things that kill literally millions in the US each year. They pick and choose where their humanitarian side will kick in and when it won't.

Me personally? I think the banning of most items is pointless. Banning acts is one thing, banning an actual item is another.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Firearm haters want to get all political over the loss of 50 lives, then will gladly defend abortion and obesity...two things that kill literally millions in the US each year. They pick and choose where their humanitarian side will kick in and when it won't..

The other side does the same thing in reverse though, because apparently just getting along is too damn hard.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The other side does the same thing in reverse though, because apparently just getting along is too damn hard.

I don't disagree...

We've found ourselves in a society that wants everything they don't agree with banned by law. Left, Right...doesn't matter, just different sides of the same coin. I do enjoy seeing what people selectively choose as being "ok" and "not-ok"...

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I don't disagree...

We've found ourselves in a society that wants everything they don't agree with banned by law. Left, Right...doesn't matter, just different sides of the same coin. I do enjoy seeing what people selectively choose as being "ok" and "not-ok"...

Agreed, it does lead to some interesting combinations of what should be allowed and what shouldn't. Really would be nice if we could just live and let live for the most part.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
First off RIP to all those needlessly murdered.

Probably impossible to ban guns in the US, so perhaps they should make the ammunition prohibitively expensive?

Really don't understand why some Americans are so religiously obsessed with guns, I understand that it ties up with the constitution, but that was written up by a bunch of rich slave owners hundreds of years ago - guess they know best?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
We're banning the sale of acid (pH scale rather than LSD, which is already banned I'm afraid) to under 18's in this country off the back of a spate of acid attacks where people throw this shit into people's faces.

I've seen no evidence or even mention of this being a predominantly youth crime, it's classic pointless knee jerk law making, so I can sympathise with what people are saying here.