Mayweather vs Pac: who ya got?

Who wins on Saturday- Mayweather or Pacquiao?

• Mayweather! Wife-beaters make good boxers!

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • Pac! Income taxes are for schmoes, and so is pro basketball!

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
There will always be defensive fighters and always offensive fighters, it isn't that one style is superior to the other, it's just that when there's a very good chance that the defensive boxer is better at his game you don't flush $100 down the shitter to watch the snorefest it's likely to be.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Mayweather's defensive ability is unparalleled and that makes him standout from everybody else, but his idea of being the Best Ever Boxer?

Nobody, NOBODY watches a FIGHT so they can see who could avoid getting hit the most and simply outscoring his opponent. that's more PLAYING A GAME than actual FIGHTING. all of the other legends/icons of BOXING showed they could take a hit AND dish out some whoop ass.

That's the thing. Boxing now is like it turned into Golden Gloves or something. I miss those 15 or 17 round fights where it really filters out the endurance of a fighter. This 12 round BS was done to "enhance" entertainment, just cut it down to 5 rounds and be done with it already.

It really makes me wonder how boxers now days would fare using the old 15 17 round matches. I still trip over those old 100 round matches.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
You don't have to see Rocky Iv. Just go on youtube and watch Ali vs. Frazier. Pac was chasing Mayweather from the beginning to the end of the fight. Not because he was losing but because he wanted to knock him out. Floyd was just happy with landing more shots with his reach and keeping his distance. Mayweather may have beaten him on the score card but in my eyes no one really won that fight because there really was no fight.

"I disagree with the way boxing matches are judged so nobody won"

Both guys knew how the other was going to approach the fight going in. Mayweather won on those terms.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
"I disagree with the way boxing matches are judged so nobody won"

Both guys knew how the other was going to approach the fight going in. Mayweather won on those terms.

No, I agree with the Judges decision. Mayweather did throw and land more. That's pretty much all he did. I base a fight on the amount of damage that is done to a fighter, not how many weak punches are thrown and landed.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Except that's not all he did. He clenched effectively, slipped dozens of punches, danced, counter punched, dodged, and spaced well. It was a clinic on defensive boxing. If you don't care about the technical aspects of the sport that's fine. But Mayweather was near perfect from a technical perspective.

He manipulated Pacquiao into fighting his fight. He took away Pac's strengths.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I really wouldn't award boxer points for clinching. Everytime Pacquiao got in close he would clinch to get away. I dont blame Mayweather for doing it because the ref let him get away with it...It was only until like Round 8 or so, ref said something after the round. They would have enforced that shit in the 1st round, i bet you this would have been a different fight. Not saying Mayweather wouldn't have adjusted as he is probably one of the smartest boxer ever, but would have been a more interesting fight. Mayweather pretty much got a Get out Jail card everytime he did that.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Clinching is not against the rules. Excessive clinching is, but 13 clinches in 12 rounds is far from excessive.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Clinching is not against the rules. Excessive clinching is, but 13 clinches in 12 rounds is far from excessive.

Did you watch the fight? Where did you get 13 clinches? He had close to 20clinches in the first 6 rounds.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Except that's not all he did. He clenched effectively, slipped dozens of punches, danced, counter punched, dodged, and spaced well. It was a clinic on defensive boxing. If you don't care about the technical aspects of the sport that's fine. But Mayweather was near perfect from a technical perspective.

Effectively? You do know that in boxing that holding is illegal, right? When a boxer holds the other boxer while also initiating punches with his free hand, that is illegal. "Clinching" isn't illegal, it's when he just wraps BOTH his arms around the other boxer, that's perfectly fine.

Edit: Those two terms were reversed BTW. Fixed.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
Mayweather did the same in the Maidena fight...Check out this article about the clinching....
http://www.fightsaga.com/news/item/...-clinch-or-not-to-clinch-that-is-the-question

I dont blame Mayweather for doing it, its very effective for defensive fighters or any fighter that is in trouble but it is a foul...Anyway, its no surprise the same ref(Kenny Bayless) was very lenient in the Maidena fight too. I think once Mayweather retires, i can see boxing enforcing this rule more...It really kills any possible action you can have when watching a fight.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Effectively? You do know that in boxing that holding is illegal, right? When a boxer holds the other boxer while also initiating punches with his free hand, that is illegal. "Clinching" isn't illegal, it's when he just wraps BOTH his arms around the other boxer, that's perfectly fine.

Edit: Those two terms were reversed BTW. Fixed.
aye.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Of course excessive should be penalized. To me, if a boxer got clocked by a clean punch and then clinched then it's no problem but if he's just clinching to tie up his opponent, that's just plain wrong.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I agree. Mayweather played the villain, played for the crowd, kept the judges and ref onside, and mixed it up with evasions, elbows and grabs. it was his show. he owns this bit of boxing landscape.
he's even convinced a few that clinching and punching whilst trapping is all good.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
This fight is the perfect example of why MMA is superior to boxing in every way.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
This fight is the perfect example of why MMA is superior to boxing in every way.

I am not as familiar with MMA, to be honest, once GSP pretty much quit, I have no interest in it, but I think that styles make fights, regardless of whether it is boxing or MMA. May and Pac was never going to be a slug match, because as much as Pac may have wanted that, I can't see any boxer who could impose that kind of match Floyd. It is always Floyd who imposes his will on the other fighter, and his will is to counter punch and not get hit. There is a beauty in being so fast and good defensively that you do not get hit, but if you are looking for power punches and knock outs, I can see how that might not seem appealing. I'm a fan of Floyd and his style, so I was entertained. If I want to see someone fuck another person up, I will watch GGG. Kirkland vs. Canelo should have some fireworks.

My take on MMA: a guy can lay on top of another for practically the whole round, not even doing real damage, and win the round/fight. That shits only okay when GSP does it.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.

I couldn't have said it better. Pac did not show anything ("injury" or not) that would suggest he would do any better in a rematch. The only question is is there any fighter that would make a compelling last fight for Floyd?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why are people still voting on this poll after the fight? :spock:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
I am not as familiar with MMA, to be honest, once GSP pretty much quit, I have no interest in it, but I think that styles make fights, regardless of whether it is boxing or MMA. May and Pac was never going to be a slug match, because as much as Pac may have wanted that, I can't see any boxer who could impose that kind of match Floyd. It is always Floyd who imposes his will on the other fighter, and his will is to counter punch and not get hit. There is a beauty in being so fast and good defensively that you do not get hit, but if you are looking for power punches and knock outs, I can see how that might not seem appealing. I'm a fan of Floyd and his style, so I was entertained. If I want to see someone fuck another person up, I will watch GGG. Kirkland vs. Canelo should have some fireworks.

My take on MMA: a guy can lay on top of another for practically the whole round, not even doing real damage, and win the round/fight. That shits only okay when GSP does it.

funny you mention GSP hes actually one of my least favorite fighters of all time because of his "lay and pray" tactics. Dont get me wrong though I love grappling and its actually my favorite part of MMA but theres a lot of good fighters who do great damage when they take someone down.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Anyone catch the A's/Twins game today? I had the A's taking the first, Minnesota taking the second, a tie in innings 3-5, Minnesota taking the 6th, a tie, and the A's taking the last two. Somehow the judges had it 8-7 Twins? Bullshit.

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
well another problem i guess is, that pac has to do the pace otherwise you wont get champion. fighting this defensively you certainly hit more often cause the other has to be active and you just react. another question mayweather vs roy jones jr. in his prime? who wins?