NBA Season 22/23

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
How much better is playoff basketball but eh? It’s makes the regular season pretty much unwatchable for me. Proper defence makes the games so much more enjoyable. I wish they would reduce to regular season to 40 games or so, we would get good proper games all the time then.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
How much better is playoff basketball but eh? It’s makes the regular season pretty much unwatchable for me. Proper defence makes the games so much more enjoyable. I wish they would reduce to regular season to 40 games or so, we would get good proper games all the time then.
Cutting it to 40 games would basically be cutting the TV and ticket revenue in half. Something tells me nobody is gonna vote in favor of that idea.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Cutting it to 40 games would basically be cutting the TV and ticket revenue in half. Something tells me nobody is gonna vote in favor of that idea.
Exactly.

That said, I'm all for shortening the schedule by about 10 games so there aren't any more back to backs. Every team should have a day of rest/recovery/good sleep in between games.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
congrats, here is your prize. i hope it's worth becoming like san francisco.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Exactly.

That said, I'm all for shortening the schedule by about 10 games so there aren't any more back to backs. Every team should have a day of rest/recovery/good sleep in between games.
Fuck that. If NHL players can play back-to-backs so can NBA players.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
The problem with next years nugget teams it’s that Jamal might not last the whole season … they should try to keep Bruce brown .

famicommander

15 Year Member
The problem with next years nugget teams it’s that Jamal might not last the whole season … they should try to keep Bruce brown .
Why wouldn't he? The only significant time he's missed in his career has all been related to the one ACL tear. Besides that he's been very durable. So as long as the knee holds up there's no reason to expect he'll miss any more games than normal.

theMot

10 Year Member

Yes and no. Ticket sales may go down but they could probably charge more because the the games would be of a higher quality and more meaningful, tickets would have more scarcity value. TV revenue probably wouldn't be effected. Less games but again, higher quality. Players wouldn't have a chance for load management as every game would be vital for a playoff chance.

I'm sure they worked all this out with some very highly paid, intelligent people sitting around a big fuck off mahogany board room table but IMO the current system is flawed and boring. They get away with it because the league makes a lot of money from highlights. You may get 30 interesting seconds in a Hornets vs Wizards match up but they league can replay a dunk from those boring games over and over.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
40 is never gonna happen. Full stop. Too much lost revenue.

I wouldn't be shocked if they went back to 76 or 72 though in the next CBA. The league and its partners are fed up with "load management" and fans getting screwed out of the one time a year they get to see LeBron/Kawhi/etc. on their home floor. Even if it's just figuring out how to end 3 games in 4 days and road back-to-backs, I feel like they'd be willing to give up 3-5 home games if it meant having the best players in the league on their home floor (barring legitimate injuries).

Even better, cut down to 72 and add a midseason tournament to replace the boring all-star game. Plenty of ways to spice things up.

theMot

10 Year Member
Even better, cut down to 72 and add a midseason tournament to replace the boring all-star game. Plenty of ways to spice things up.

Cut it to 40 games plus a mid season knock out style best of 3 tournament. Yep, lets do that.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Cut it to 40 games plus a mid season knock out style best of 3 tournament. Yep, lets do that.
They already added a midseason tourament to the 82 game schedule.

Next year they already added a rule where players have to play a minimum of 65 games to qualify for major awards (All NBA, All Defensive, All Rookie, MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, etc).

Most guys have gigantic contract bonuses tied to winning those awards, so something tells me you're about to see a gigantic reduction in "load management" next year.

Ja Morant cost himself like 40 million dollars by not making All NBA this year.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Agreed, though I think it's fine to keep the All Star Game. Just change it back to East vs West, and have there be some meaningful consequences to it. Something like the winning conference gets home court advantage in the Finals regardless of seed.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Agreed, though I think it's fine to keep the All Star Game. Just change it back to East vs West, and have there be some meaningful consequences to it. Something like the winning conference gets home court advantage in the Finals.
Tying things that matter to exhibition games is stupid. Exhibition games are stupid. Just eliminate them and do stuff like the dunk contest, 3 point contest, skills challenge, etc.

Fygee

20 Year Member
If you tie something that matters to it, then it's not an exhibition game any more. That's the point.

Keep all the other things you mentioned for funsies.

famicommander

15 Year Member
If you tie something that matters to it, then it's not an exhibition game any more. That's the point.

Keep all the other things you mentioned for funsies.
The All Star Game will never be anything more than an exhibition game, though. MLB tying their All Star Game to home field advantage did precisely nothing to make the game more entertaining or make the players play harder.

All Star Games are trash. They have always been trash. They will always be trash.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I always liked the way baseball handled it where the winning league got home field in the World Series because at least it was SOMETHING. The Pro Bowl, NBA and NHL All Star Games have nothing on the line and are pretty much glorified scrimmages

famicommander

15 Year Member
I always liked the way baseball handled it where the winning league got home field in the World Series because at least it was SOMETHING. The Pro Bowl, NBA and NHL All Star Games have nothing on the line and are pretty much glorified scrimmages
Baseball's ASG is fucking unwatchable garbage too. It's zero percent better now than it was before.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Baseball's ASG is fucking unwatchable garbage too. It's zero percent better now than it was before.
Just because one person doesn't like something doesn't make it "unwatchable garbage", but if you wanna go that road I may have some great news for you about "professional" lacrosse.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Just because one person doesn't like something doesn't make it "unwatchable garbage", but if you wanna go that road I may have some great news for you about "professional" lacrosse.
At least they play hard in lacrosse.

You're talkin' 'bout practice. NOT A GAME.

NOT A GAME.

PRACTICE.

famicommander

15 Year Member
.....that's literally the reason to put something on the line, so it actually matters
...and it literally didn't help baseball at all. Not one iota.

There's no reason to think it would change anything in any other sport.

Fygee

20 Year Member
The All Star Game will never be anything more than an exhibition game, though. MLB tying their All Star Game to home field advantage did precisely nothing to make the game more entertaining or make the players play harder.

All Star Games are trash. They have always been trash. They will always be trash.
Basketball is a different beast. I think home court advantage is much more important than in a slow sport like baseball. The crowd's energy plays into the game in a much more intense and direct way. It would definitely mean more to the players to have it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Basketball is a different beast. I think home court advantage is much more important than in a slow sport like baseball. The crowd's energy plays into the game in a much more intense and direct way. It would definitely mean more to the players to have it.
Most guys in the All Star Game know damn well they aren't going to the NBA Finals and nobody wants to get hurt in an All Star Game. It's not going to move the needle at all and it hasn't helped baseball at all.

The only thing that could make it slightly more competitive is to award a big cash prize to the winning team and nothing to the losing team. But even then, most of these dudes have 100 million fucking dollars.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Most guys in the All Star Game know damn well they aren't going to the NBA Finals and nobody wants to get hurt in an All Star Game. It's not going to move the needle at all and it hasn't helped baseball at all.

The only thing that could make it slightly more competitive is to award a big cash prize to the winning team and nothing to the losing team. But even then, most of these dudes have 100 million fucking dollars.
I'm not saying it'll turn it into a hardcore game where there's (significant) injury risk, but it'll make it something much better than playing with less defense than a Harlem Globetrotter show.

Most players are going to be on teams that are definitely expecting to be in the playoffs, and this past series with an 8th seed making it to the Finals just goes to show how one never knows who will make it there. High seeds won't want to lose it. Low seeds will want the chance to gain it.

Plus, it will help regain some of the edge and rivalry that each conference used to have against each other.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Bruce Brown indicated he's coming back for another year at the Nuggets parade.

That means they have

Under contract:
Nikola Jokic
Jamal Murray
Michael Porter Jr
Aaron Gordon
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Bruce Brown
Christian Braun
Peyton Watson
Vlatko Cancar
Zeke Nnaji

Restricted free agents:
Collin Gillespie
Jack White

Unrestricted free agents:
Jeff Green
DeAndre Jordan
Ish Smith
Reggie Jackson
Thomas Bryant

They should bring back Gillespie and White for sure. Try to find replacements for Jordan, Bryant, Smith, and Jackson in free agency. If Jeff Green will come back on a veteran minimum, absolutely bring him back. If not, so long and thanks for all the fish.