NBA Season 22/23

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
been watching them off and on since calbert cheany was supposed to be the next great. there is a reason why, even through all the troubles with the football team the past two decades, i don't really have a home team in other sports.

I hear you, man. I go back to Kornheiser clowning on the team in his weekly Washington Post columns in the "Hot Plate" Williams/Jeff Ruland days. It's just sadness all the way down.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I hear you, man. I go back to Kornheiser clowning on the team in his weekly Washington Post columns in the "Hot Plate" Williams/Jeff Ruland days. It's just sadness all the way down.
When I was in high school one of my teachers saw me in a Nuggets jersey and asked me how the Bullets were doing. This was almost 10 years after they had become the Wizards. He had grown up a big Bullets fan but spent most of the 90s and 2000s overseas learning languages (dude spoke like 8 languages fluently and was responsible for teaching English to kids who spoke many others). I had to be the one to explain to him what had happened. He didn't know about the name change, washed Michael Jordan, Gilbert Arenas, any of it. Last he recalled they had just drafted Juwan Howard.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
NBA draft in a couple of days I hope a big trade goes down on the 2 or 3 spot for the raptors to nab scoot , ujiri should have taken the trade offer for FV,Trent jr and OG last season Then flip em .

Schnitzel

back to basics
15 Year Member
When I was in high school one of my teachers saw me in a Nuggets jersey and asked me how the Bullets were doing. This was almost 10 years after they had become the Wizards. He had grown up a big Bullets fan but spent most of the 90s and 2000s overseas learning languages (dude spoke like 8 languages fluently and was responsible for teaching English to kids who spoke many others). I had to be the one to explain to him what had happened. He didn't know about the name change, washed Michael Jordan, Gilbert Arenas, any of it. Last he recalled they had just drafted Juwan Howard.
so...is this post a weird flex, or what? it's like listening to one of my mom's explanation of an incident with so much unnecessary details.

famicommander

15 Year Member
so...is this post a weird flex, or what? it's like listening to one of my mom's explanation of an incident with so much unnecessary details.
It was an explanation of seeing a former Washington basketball fan turn into you in real time.

ralph-thesimpsons.gif

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nuggets traded into the first round tonight.

Three team trade for the Clippers, Wizards, and Celtics being worked out. Details aren't final but as of now

Clippers get:
Malcolm Brogdon

Celtics get:
Kristaps Porzingis

Wizards get:
Danilo Gallinari (coming off a season where he missed the whole year due to knee surgery)
Marcus Morris
Amir Coffey
#30 pick in the first round of tonight's draft

famicommander

15 Year Member
I'm not even sure where Porzingis fits with the Celtics.

Obviously they have too many wings to play him there so he has to play as a 4/5, but the Celtics kept both Williams and Horford and when they play small they've been using Tatum as a 4 so I dunno how that will work out.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Why did the Wizards decide the best time to be dogshit was one year after Wemby was in the draft exactly?

100proof

10 Year Member
Because they just changed front offices. And they're the Wizards.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wizards trade Chris Paul to the Warriors for Jordan Poole, Ryan rollins, a 1st, and a 2nd.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I wonder if the Warriors will cut Paul.

Draft came and went. No big surprises.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I wonder if the Warriors will cut Paul.

Draft came and went. No big surprises.
No. They want Paul's expiring contract for the cap space in the off-season. He'll run their bench unit this year (until he gets hurt, which he will).

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wemby officially measured 7 feet, 3.5 inches without shoes today. That means in basketball shoes he'll be just under 7'5".

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
That's one tall dude.

He's going to have to get at least a little meat on his bones to survive the NBA, otherwise he's going to get injured frequently out there.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nuggets gave qualifying offers to Jack White and Collin Gillespie, so they'll be back.

The 18 man roster currently looks like this, including our draft picks
1. Nikola Jokic
2. Jamal Murray
3. Michael Porter Jr.
4. Aaron Gordon
5. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
6. Christian Braun
7. Zeke Nnaji
8. Vlatko Cancar
9. Peyton Watson
10. Collin Gillespie (two way)
11. Jack White (two way)
12. Julian Strawther (rookie)
13. Jalen Pickett (rookie)
14. Hunter Tyson (rookie, two way)

So that leaves 4 full time roster spots left. Current free agents:
Bruce Brown
Jeff Green
Reggie Jackson
DeAndre Jordan
Ish Smith
Thomas Bryant

Retained draft rigths:
Ismael Kamagate (last year's 2nd round pick; will probably spend another year in Europe but he's here for Summer League next week)

Hopefully they can retain Bruce Brown it doesn't seem likely since the most they can offer him is 7.8 million. He'd have to take a big discount to stay.

Jeff Green I'd like back if he'll take a minimum deal but otherwise no.

They need one point guard to replace Jackson and Smith, and one center to replace Jordan and Bryant.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nuggets lost Bruce Brown to the Pacers but it doesn't hurt too bad because the dude more than tripled his salary. Nugs fans will always love him but with the cap as it is we had no chance. We could only offer him 1 year, 7.8M and he got 2 years, 45M.

They also re-signed Reggie Jackson and DeAndre Jordan. I was hoping for an upgrade over both but oh well.

Nugs have 2 roster spots remaining. One will probably go to Jeff Green.

With the last one I'm hoping they trade for Delon Wright from the Wizards. He'd be a perfect fit here as a combo guard to replace Bruce Brown.

100proof

10 Year Member
I mean dude played 11 seasons for the same team. In the modern NBA, that's pretty loyal. At this point in his career, he's entitled to go try and chase a title with a contender while Portland tries to rebuild. Same thing Clyde did. Same thing Barkley and a hundred others have done. I'm not a big Dame fan (even at his peak, he was never a top 5 player to me) but this is the kind of situation that the free agency era is built for: star players not being stuck on perennial losers their whole career and teams giving themselves the flexibility to rebuild with draft picks and young prospects.

It's certainly gotten out of hand post-Decision (while it was always LeBron's right to go out and find the best deal and situation for himself, I'll always hold that against him in any conversation about greatness) but players don't owe anything to franchises and cities beyond showing up and playing ball and, in a lot of cases, fans should aim their anger at poorly run franchises rather than players who skip town because they recognize a loser when they see one.

Last edited: