NeoSD MVS/AES - General Consensus?

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
They're very expensive, especially if you get whacked for VAT on top, but compared with the cost of some games these days, it's a relative bargain.

FWIW, I also have the MVS one and love it, so much that I've ordered an AES one now too.
Since I have the Daedalus, I can use the NeoSD MVS on my AES. So technically, I have an AES one too :)

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
If the NG Dev game where on there it would have been a no brainer. But i also have a shitload of orginial games.
I'm sure it could be hacked to be made into a rom but apparently it uses specials chips? I did hear that TO actually put code in to not allow NGDEV games to run on NeoSD so it made me think for a time it was a software roadblock.

MarsellusW

n00b
I'm sure it could be hacked to be made into a rom but apparently it uses specials chips? I did hear that TO actually put code in to not allow NGDEV games to run on NeoSD so it made me think for a time it was a software roadblock.
First time i heard this. I would really like to have Razion on the MVS, but i never seen the game anywhere and probably be also around 2k for the MVS.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Yes but Bobak! wrote that and he knows as much about the neogeo as taste in male jewellery

Only issue is the wait time for the shipment from Stone Age. But, once that batch leaves, who knows how long one will be waiting for.

SAG are generally quite sharp with their shipping times now. Although I guess the TO fulfillment roadmap towards December seems like an eternity.

Anyway, congratulations to all who pre-ordered themselves a cart!

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
I wrote SAG over the weekend to inquire how much longer preorders for the NeoSD Pro will be open, because I didn’t want to wait too long and miss this batch. They replied they are down to 26% stock remaining for AES and 50% for MVS, and made a guess they may sell out in a month or two at that rate. I ordered the AES version, so maybe that number is down to ~25%.

He also suggested another batch may come along soon after, if this one sells out. I would suggest going ahead and putting your order in for the AES version sooner than later if you are considering getting one.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Here’s something to consider for anyone who has a NeoSD preordered: According to the documentation, the NeoSD accepts MicroSD cards up to 32GB capacity. While shopping around for one, I noticed 32GB cards are on their way out, and may be difficult to find soon (new). Sure, it’s not an urgent concern now, but it could be by December when these are expected to ship. It could be an even bigger problem in a year or two when 32GB or smaller won’t be easily available for purchase.

Having been burned before by phony SD cards on Amazon and eBay, I will only buy cards from a retail outlet like Best Buy. In fact, I’m on my way later this evening to pick up the last SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB card that my local Best Buy has in stock.

It could be possible that the NeoSD would work fine with say, a 64GB card. Can anyone confirm? If so, it would be a non-issue but wanted to mention it now.

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
I wrote SAG over the weekend to inquire how much longer preorders for the NeoSD Pro will be open, because I didn’t want to wait too long and miss this batch. They replied they are down to 26% stock remaining for AES and 50% for MVS, and made a guess they may sell out in a month or two at that rate. I ordered the AES version, so maybe that number is down to ~25%.

He also suggested another batch may come along soon after, if this one sells out. I would suggest going ahead and putting your order in for the AES version sooner than later if you are considering getting one.
You can also check % remaining of each here:

MVS: https://stoneagegamer.com/pre-order-batch-status.html?hae=2535

AES: https://stoneagegamer.com/pre-order-batch-status.html?hae=2525

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Here’s something to consider for anyone who has a NeoSD preordered: According to the documentation, the NeoSD accepts MicroSD cards up to 32GB capacity. While shopping around for one, I noticed 32GB cards are on their way out, and may be difficult to find soon (new). Sure, it’s not an urgent concern now, but it could be by December when these are expected to ship. It could be an even bigger problem in a year or two when 32GB or smaller won’t be easily available for purchase.

Having been burned before by phony SD cards on Amazon and eBay, I will only buy cards from a retail outlet like Best Buy. In fact, I’m on my way later this evening to pick up the last SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB card that my local Best Buy has in stock.

It could be possible that the NeoSD would work fine with say, a 64GB card. Can anyone confirm? If so, it would be a non-issue but wanted to mention it now.
Hmm, 32GB to be phased out now I feel shouldn't happen now. But if anything, buy multiples to stack? I may do so now if that is the case.

Also, 32GB is overkill for the NeoSD I think. But I also have a 32GB for mine, lol.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Hmm, 32GB to be phased out now I feel shouldn't happen now. But if anything, buy multiples to stack? I may do so now if that is the case.

Also, 32GB is overkill for the NeoSD I think. But I also have a 32GB for mine, lol.
Misses the post 3 above him. Keeps on trucking into faggotry. Typical neo tard. Noice. Hope the frontal wedgie doesnt chafe too much.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
For the price of these, they should include internal storage for the games. SD cards are gay
Memory is super cheap. Flash carts need replaceable memory.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Misses the post 3 above him. Keeps on trucking into faggotry. Typical neo tard. Noice. Hope the frontal wedgie doesnt chafe too much.
32GB card came with mine.

I was aware of what Alec said. I was referring to the phasing out of 32GB in general hence why I said to stack, fool.

• Wow
Reactions: wyo

Awesome heads-up! Cheers.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I’ve had NeoSD and NeoSD Pro for both AES and MVS, and they’ve always worked well with two minor exceptions—I find the quit to menu shortcut can be a little spotty, and very occasionally graphics are a bit garbled on boot but hitting reset always fixes them (no need to reflash or reseat the cart).

The shell for the original NeoSD is noticeably cheaper plastic compared to the Pro, and the original AES version is a tight fit in the cart slot. CD support on the Pro is half-baked so don’t pay more for that one thinking you’ll be able to play all NG CD stuff perfectly.

The Darksoft cart looks OK from what I’ve seen, but I think it has a small amount of loading regardless of whether you already flashed the game or not which sucks. I like that the SD boots just like a real cart when you’ve flashed something.
Another problem I had with the Neo Sd pro shell was the contact between the aes slot and the pcb. There was no give like original aes games. I had to file the pcb slots open a little more so the pcb would make good contact with the console slot. I didn't have to do this with the original NeoSd. After that it worked every time I inserted the cart.

Just throwing that out there incase someone has a similar issue. I know sometimes some shells can have defects from the factory.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Another problem I had with the Neo Sd pro shell was the contact between the aes slot and the pcb. There was no give like original aes games. I had to file the pcb slots open a little more so the pcb would make good contact with the console slot. I didn't have to do this with the original NeoSd. After that it worked every time I inserted the cart.

Just throwing that out there incase someone has a similar issue. I know sometimes some shells can have defects from the factory.
I thought they fixed it and it will be fixed in this print run, but we'll see.