Official SNK Shock Box via Limited Run

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
you should sue them and get your $$$. I'm not even joking. you copyrighted it right?
No.It ain't that serious.I was really just wondering if they are AES snaplocks for official carts because it's LIMITED RUN
BB

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Listen BIG BEAR, I'll be straight with you, this is less about you protecting your invention's IP and getting fat stacks, and more about you suing Limited Run to oblivion and destroying them as a company. Do it, do it for the gipper

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Are these for AES or MVS?

Unfortunately, it looks like these are home cart styled cases fopr MVS carts. You can tell by the elongated profile & the basterdized location of the debosed SNK logo.

For a moment I was all excited as I thought these were essentially a new batch of home cart snap lock cases from the original SNK molds under license from them. Then I realized it's another lame, uninspired attempt at making the MVs the home cart system, I honestly can't stand that derivative shit.

Bear, do you have rights to the "Shock Box" schpiel?
Regardless, it's fucked that they jacked your shit. This whole "Shock Box" thing has gotten out of hand. How the fuck is anything that holds an MVS cart now a shock box?

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
The Limited Run Sega CD replacement cases were kind of garbage. Not sure I trust the quality on these.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The cartridge tray still looks homecart shaped. The dugout for the finger grip along the back, plus the sloped shoulders left/right of where the label goes.

Or at least, I'd be surprised if these were actually resized to fit MVS carts.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Eh...I don't give much credence to LRG...
About as official as the Neo Geo X or the latest licensed garbage modern SNK vomited out to harvest some profit out of their legacy.

For blu-ray discs!! :loco:

I suppose "shock box" has just become generic language for an mvs protective case, just in the same way as people use the name "Hoover" to describe a vacuum cleaner.
That's the folly in this. "Shock box" is generic language because it's an aftermarket fan product. SNK should stick to making official items. These could easily have just been called "Neo Geo home cartridge cases" and there wouldn't be any confusion.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
About as official as the Neo Geo X or the latest licensed garbage modern SNK vomited out to harvest some profit out of their legacy.

That's the folly in this. "Shock box" is generic language because it's an aftermarket fan product. SNK should stick to making official items. These could easily have just been called "Neo Geo home cartridge cases" and there wouldn't be any confusion.

If they're definitely intended as AES replacement cases, I could not agree more.

I was painting with broad strokes on the "shock box" analogy though, as I'm sure / know there are plenty of overseas "companies" that have ripped off BB's original concept.

Tis a sad world we live in.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection

Let's go live to the SNK headquarters in an undisclosed cave in Middle East:
14ee9d4b-b09c-4c42-a412-cb8009d75ab6_screenshot.jpg

"Quality control be damned. We will milk every last cent out of these collectard goobs!"

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
1708715519540.png

FF3 snap lock comparison.

Just like the 8 Bit Do CD controllers, I don't get it. Why not take like an extra day to get the details right? If you're worried about these repros being passed off as originals, just add a little "watermark" in a discreet location.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If these were for MVS, I might be interested.

I don't like repro anything mixed with my real stuff. I have my loose AES carts loose on the shelf.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
In other words, totally accurate to the originals?

Jokes aside, I haven't used them but I heard they were pretty accurate, up to the point where they crack if you look at them wrong. People kept complaining that they'd get a box and a couple of the cases were cracked, but they either aren't old enough to remember or wasn't into the scene back in the day when every box of Sega CD or Saturn games also had a few with cracks in them.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Personally, I don't see the harm in proper SNK snap-lock case replacements being made if they're endorsed by SNK. What difference does it make to an AES game if the case is 30 years old or 30 days old so long as they're identical and official?

I see the argument with repro stuff, because if they're not using the original molds then the product is always likely to be inferior.

If these Limited Run cases are repro quality but just endorsed by SNK, may as well keep buying the cases from Neo Old Store, which are great for conversions / third party tat.