OUYA anyone?

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Since today's the day that backers of the kickstarter project for the OUYA console get one shipped to them. Who here has or is planning on buying a OUYA?

If you don't know what it is, it's a new Android video game console for $99 that connects to your TV. With controllers too, like a real video game system. Hit's retail in June. Here's a link to the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya

So what do people here think about the console? Anyone thinking about getting one? I think I'll wait a bit to see how it is first, but looks interesting.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I'll get one eventually if it turns out to be a better overall experience than my WD TV Live for local streaming. I have a feeling it will. Would be cool to be able to play any games for the console that tickle my fancy as well.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I was one of the first few hundred to back it. Hopefully it ships soon, haven't heard anything about it for week or so. I was excited about it at the time for mainly an small emulator player. I will post pics and a small review when I get mine.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm waiting for some impressions, but for the low price I'll probably pick one up when it hits retail. For that price, I'll use it as an emu box as long as it supports usb joysticks.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'm thinking of picking one up. I'll probably decide closer to release. Only thing that bothers me a bit is comments from one of the heads of the Ouya project saying that there will be basically be a "new" version every year with added features. Does that mean it is going to be like the smartphone market with upgrades all of the time to be able to use the latest features, but in this case, to be able to play better android games, you'll need the newest one?

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Smartphone/tablet games on my television?

No thank you.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Only thing that bothers me a bit is comments from one of the heads of the Ouya project saying that there will be basically be a "new" version every year with added features. Does that mean it is going to be like the smartphone market with upgrades all of the time to be able to use the latest features, but in this case, to be able to play better android games, you'll need the newest one?

I didn't buy an Ouya or donate to the kickstarter, partially due to watching the problems that the Pandora Open Handheld had. The looming obsolescence of the device also bothered me. It seems to be about as powerful as a Wii, except with HDMI output. What portion of the user base are devs? Will devs developing apps for profit make ones that rely on the Ouya tactile controls, and miss out on the larger android market?

The Ouya as an experimental new class of device is more interesting. I remember reading somewhere about the Ouya, or the equivalent of the Ouya eventually becoming integrated into the TV itself. With cloud gaming, it seems inevitable that Television manufacturers will start to include streaming service apps and interface ports. I can see getting an Ouya or an Ouya 2 as a stopgap.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I will be interested to see how the OUYA does and what comes of it, but this initial iteration of hardware is something I'm going to keep away from. I'll let the guinea pigs work out the kinks and jump on the bandwagon once this type of service has been better established.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
I kicked on one since it was cheap etc.. With open dev, n blah blah, thought itd be worth a whirl....I mean, I did buy a neo x on release too so yea..

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I'll definitely get one eventually. These days I never pick up any kind of electronics at launch though.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I was hoping you meant "Ouija" and made a typo.... :(

this is still somewhat fun though... :spock:

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Yeah, I'm in on this cause of the Kickstarter as well. I guess I'll tell ya folks if this is a Neo Geo X situation and if it can play teh roms good as well ;)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I dont really care to play smartphone games on my TV...

there's a whole crowd out there that thinks this thing will be cranking out CoD games.... it's sad.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Waiting for customer reviews first. It's too risky to preorder anything these days.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I was reading that the people who make the Ouya are planning on releasing a new one every year which I thought was a little odd. From what I've read about it so far though, there are a lot of great ideas here, though there seem to be 2 issues at present: lag/delay from control input and a weak line-up to start.
Anyway, just what I read about. I think the cool services the box will offer far outweigh the issues so far as I can tell, especially with the possibilities the 'Make' option will present.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I can see them making new hardware by just updating to the latest Tegra processor every year. Still doesnt change the fact it's smartphone games for your TV.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I'm expecting a whole lot of shovelware for that thing.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
No one should buy this thing. I can’t believe it even got funded. Don’t know if you’re a hardcore gamer or not but any self respecting gamer would never buy this thing. If anything a true gamer would get the emulators on a PC and plug in a Xbox 360 controller.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
brutal reviews ive seen so far.

im both happy and sad i sat this one out. happy i didnt lose $100. sad for the thousands that did.

it has potential to be something cool, but it is just not ready for prime time yet. i might look into it around its 5th or 6th gen- if it gets that far.