OUYA anyone?

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Cool, and the current neo emu has a button mapping set up I assume. As much as I like hyperspin, it is pretty annoying managing all the files for it.

neo.emu does... at least the iOS version does. I assume the 'droid one does too.

The other 'droid emus written by the same author seem pretty much identical to the iOS versions.

snk`

Kula's Candy
For a device that small.. how does it handle the heat while running games?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm thinking about getting one of these. Is there a difference between the retail version and kickstarter version? I see KS versions on ebay all the time.

SSS

neo retired
I'm thinking about getting one of these. Is there a difference between the retail version and kickstarter version? I see KS versions on ebay all the time.

Think they are the same. Picked one up at best buy. Like the idea of a cheap HD rom box. Downloaded a few emulators but only had enough time to mess with the neo one. Has enough internal storage for the entire neo library. I was a little dissapointed with the current emulator status, a few games don't work and it doesn't handle the scaling effect in games like turfmasters, train stage in garou etc... But other than that games run great. Sounds fine, didnt notice any screen tearing. Scan line effects look great. Was able to configure the neo x controller with it.

Hopefully it sticks around long enough to see some more ports of MAME and updates to current emus

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member

I think that depending on when a Kickstarter version was released it may have a crappier set of drivers/the quality of the controller might be reduced (see: the infamous faceplate popup). I got mine just before the retail ship date and it seems fine enough. Certainly no real problems with the controller that I can detect with my limited use. Also, for whatever reason Kickstarter backers got cheaper controllers when they got the chance to buy extra controllers so my guess would be to check ebay for cheaper controllers (I haven't checked the ebay price of extra Ouya controllers myself but I know this part from just looking at prices before ebay Ouyas happened).

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Think they are the same. Picked one up at best buy. Like the idea of a cheap HD rom box. Downloaded a few emulators but only had enough time to mess with the neo one. Has enough internal storage for the entire neo library. I was a little dissapointed with the current emulator status, a few games don't work and it doesn't handle the scaling effect in games like turfmasters, train stage in garou etc... But other than that games run great. Sounds fine, didnt notice any screen tearing. Scan line effects look great. Was able to configure the neo x controller with it.

Hopefully it sticks around long enough to see some more ports of MAME and updates to current emus

I was planning to use it as a cheap HD rom box as well. I hope it runs system 16 and 18 games fine as well as any 68k based arcade games that don't use much scaling.

So I'm assuming I need to put everything on a stick and open the console up to insert it, maybe I'll cut mine up (cleanly) if the port is near a wall.

SSS

neo retired
If you are planning on using 2 neo geo x sticks, or any other USB controllers you'll need a USB hub with it's own power source. The non powered hubs don't work

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Been messing with this over the weekend. Despite it's buggy OS, it's a pretty cool box if you want to run roms. Was able to use a wii classic controller and even my SNES and NES USB adapters with no issues. Loaded a 16gb usb stick with a bunch of Genesis, NES and SNES roms and it read them with no issues. Gonna try Neo Geo and the rest next.

I did notice some slight frame skips the longer I played the emulators though - hoping they can fix that.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Been playing the hell out of Soul Blazer and Castlevania Bloodlines, this little shitty box is awesome!

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I did notice some slight frame skips the longer I played the emulators though - hoping they can fix that.

I'm having the same issue here. Anyone else experiencing this too?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So, is this a better emu box than an OG Xbox yet? I still play the hell out of my Xbox, but trying to install new games with a 10 year old MAME romset is rather annoying.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I would say it's better than original xbox.

-smaller footprint
-1080 playback
-newer emulators

and as recently stated, more controller support.

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
FInally got mine.

Finally got my Kickstarter backer version last week (my backer number was 184 so I think I was an early backer. :P) It was shipped before retail release but it took forever to show up at my door. I don't know if the delay had to deal with being "international" and requesting an extra controller.

I haven't bothered with emulators just yet. I wasn't planning on using the OUYA as an emulator box at the moment since I've got so many other options for that at the moment.

Put together a quick video here:

If you don't want to hear me babble on for the first few minutes (yeah did a quick and dirty voiceover and I was tired)...

You can zoom to 10:19 to see about 7 minutes of snippets from various titles available from the marketplace. An example on installing non-OUYA apps and some compatiblity from non-OUYA marketplace apps at: 03.29.

Knightmare Tower is so far the first game I purchased. (There are others that I own on other platforms and/or other marketplaces...)

Super Crate Box, however, is digital crack. It looks like it's freeware... so get it! I was trying to go through all of the titles I downloaded to get footage and I ended up playing for over an hour before I tore myself away to play the others.

Last edited:

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I also sideloaded Mame4Droid last night and it runs great. Didn't load a ton of roms yet but I did test out a few games I own PCBs of for comparison (Rally Bike & Aurail). They ran identical as far as I can tell. Gonna try a few other recent titles later today.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Does it have decent scanlines to make it not look like poop on a HDTV?

SSS

neo retired
Does it have decent scanlines to make it not look like poop on a HDTV?

yes, the neo emu does at least. You can adjust the % of the effect, and they aren't vertical like the neo x.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
yes, the neo emu does at least. You can adjust the % of the effect, and they aren't vertical like the neo x.

Wait, what? The Neo X has vertical scanlines? WTF?!

Is the Ouya able to support 4 players for when I want to play 4 player Turtles in Time?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I haven't been able to duplicate the scanline thing, I think it's an anomaly with the dude's display.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
My impression of it. I'm comparing to the original XBox;

The good:

- Just like the XBox, supports 1080 video, looks great on HDTV's
- Far more convenient to setup emulators and move rom files around
- The system is very small and very convenient to move around as well
- Supports wireless controllers such as the PS3 controller. Up to 4 controllers can be connected
- Supports fight sticks as well. A multi-usb hub is required (Note: mine doesn't have a separate power source, and it works fine with 2 sticks)
- Very fast interface. You can switch emulators in seconds.
- Plays Sega CD and PC Engine CD games nicely

The Bad:

- The current emulators settings feel tricky and may take time to get used to, especially when it comes to setting up controllers
- The OS interface is nice, but feels a little laggy (doesn't affect emulators' controls though)
- Current emulators don't support custom screen x / y size. The preset sizes fit nicely, however.
- Current emulators interface is not as good as the latest XBox ones

Yet to check:

- I'm experiencing slowdowns after nearly 10 minutes of play. If this can not be fixed, then it's a deal breaker for me.
- [Edit]: Just came back from trying Rondo of Blood and Snatcher and both ran just fine. I noticed some minor static sounds during dialogs in Snatcher, but they weren't that bad, and could be related to the frame drop issue.

Regarding performance, it has the best GBA emulator I've seen so far. It's the only GBA emulator I've tried that could run games like Mega Man Zero and Casltevania AoS with no slowdowns. On NeoGeo, I tried Samurai Showdown 2, which ran perfectly, then KOF98, which started well, then started to have slowdowns (possibly related to the issue I mentioned earlier).

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm having the same issue here. Anyone else experiencing this too?

nope

spent hours on it last nite too!

Got Garou: MOTW to work finally (couldn't find a compatible rom) and it worked great. Also played some Hard Corps (gen), Soldier Blade (PCE) and finally Double Dragon Adv (GBA)

worked great and flawlessley.

In fact, I turned off the auto frame skip on all my emulators and it hasn't even flinched.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
nope

spent hours on it last nite too!

Got Garou: MOTW to work finally (couldn't find a compatible rom) and it worked great. Also played some Hard Corps (gen), Soldier Blade (PCE) and finally Double Dragon Adv (GBA)

worked great and flawlessley.

In fact, I turned off the auto frame skip on all my emulators and it hasn't even flinched.

Thanks for the info. I will try to ask about the issue in their forums then.