Samurai Shodown V Perfect/Final Edition extracted data

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
On the French forum I noticed they were still making updates to the Neo Geo rom for Perfect, including making the NGH number 273. Though I suppose it's nice for the bios to be able to distinguish the game with a separate number (not that Razoola is releasing a Unibios update), it's a bit of a cheat because SNK never officially released this back in the day, and never issued a separate NGH number for it.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
On the French forum I noticed they were still making updates to the Neo Geo rom for Perfect, including making the NGH number 273. Though I suppose it's nice for the bios to be able to distinguish the game with a separate number (not that Razoola is releasing a Unibios update), it's a bit of a cheat because SNK never officially released this back in the day, and never issued a separate NGH number for it.
Ergo, it's homebrew unofficial jank.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Ergo, it's homebrew unofficial jank.
Well, the whole SSVP Neo Geo rom is, unless you count the original extracted rom that doesn't even have an English mode or say "Perfect" on the title screen. I personally prefer most of the fan-made QOL improvements to the rom, the English mode being the main one.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I don't get the hate for 5/5 Special/5 Perfect.

5 plays fine and has a good roster with new characters that were well designed. US/Euro got the cutscenes gimped unfortunately.

5S plays really damn well, looks great, has the best roster of the series on Neo-Geo, and sounds great. Yeah, the fatalities are jacked up from censorship, but that's a minor thing.

5S Fixed is just a ROM revision changing said fatalities so that doesn't even really count.

5P was never even released officially, nor was it actually developed officially (albiet developed by the official team, just behind the scenes), and made an already good game in 5S better. We should be grateful that it finally got to see the light of day considering the extreme luck involved in locating the ROMs for it.

When you take 4 stabs at one game, it's not a good sign.
Street Fighter 2.
Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition.
Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting.
Super Street Fighter 2.
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Hyper Fighting.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Hate is strong, it's just the least favorite (speaking for myself)

As for SF games, Capcom did that to make money off the wild success of SF2 - not to fix things per se, and the Super series is on a whole different platform.
Sure SNK might have done 5SP to make more money, but they hadn't ever done this with the SS series before. I suspect 5SP/Perfect were made because 5 was not very well received.

I can appreciate the large roster, but it comes at a cost - odd color palate/stages and lacking the SNK charm of the predecessors.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’m glad they found the fifth and maybe final version of the game but…yeah, I really hate Samshow 5 a lot. Dumb goofy roster, animation that looks way choppier despite having more frames…never liked it.

Street Fighter II was hugely successful. That’s why there are five versions. There are five versions of this for the exact opposite reasons. Apples to oranges.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I think for SF, it was both, at least at the beginning.

Championship Edition fixed a bunch of major bugs like Guile's handcuffing and Ryu's conditional double damage, along with some much-needed balance changes and playable bosses. To me, it's the most justifiable of all the revisions.

Hyper Fighting was to keep it fresh thanks to newer fighters playing faster, along with the Rainbow edition bootleg making original and CE feel like playing in mud. Kinda cash-grabby.

Super was to show off the CPS2 hardware with a familiar title and was a full graphical and sound overhaul. Since there was a lot of actual work done to basically remake SF2 for the next generation, I can't fault it as a cash grab.

Turbo was a total, shameless cash grab and sealed SF's fate as a joke of ridiculous subtitles and re-releases up until SF5, which then became a joke of nickel and dimeing players to death with microtransactions.

Anyways, back to SS, I don't think they're really comparable since technically there were only two released versions of SS5 with distinct NGH numbers, the OG and Special. A ROM revision to nerf fatalities doesn't count, nor does a version that never saw the light of day officially.

And you're right in that SS5/SS5S weren't all that well received. The Neo was breathing it's very last gasps as a platform, the world had moved on to 3D graphics, casual players never knew it existed, hardcore players didn't care, and old, grizzled Neo fans snubbed their nose at it because it wasn't made by pre-bankruptcy SNK. SS5P wouldn't have made a lick of difference in sales.

IIRC correctly, the devs didn't make it to increase sales. They just wanted to flesh it out with more story and cutscenes, and tighten up the gameplay a bit more for competitive play for anyone that would care. The secret loke test went nowhere, and that was that. Doomed to be ROMs on a dusty old hard drive for years until two years ago.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

5 plays fine and has a good roster with new characters that were well designed. US/Euro got the cutscenes gimped unfortunately.

5S plays really damn well, looks great, has the best roster of the series on Neo-Geo, and sounds great. Yeah, the fatalities are jacked up from censorship, but that's a minor thing.

5S Fixed is just a ROM revision changing said fatalities so that doesn't even really count.

5P was never even released officially, nor was it actually developed officially (albiet developed by the official team, just behind the scenes), and made an already good game in 5S better. We should be grateful that it finally got to see the light of day considering the extreme luck involved in locating the ROMs for it.

Street Fighter 2.
Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition.
Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting.
Super Street Fighter 2.
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Hyper Fighting.
What

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
5 feels like a 1998 game at best, with worse presentation than what the original SNK would have made. Otherwise, yeah it plays okay.

I just play the English hack (the rom rip from the Xbox version) for English.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Oooh... noice. Do you mix it with mayo and then put thin slices of cucumber in your sandwich?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I think for SF, it was both, at least at the beginning.

Championship Edition fixed a bunch of major bugs like Guile's handcuffing and Ryu's conditional double damage, along with some much-needed balance changes and playable bosses. To me, it's the most justifiable of all the revisions.

Hyper Fighting was to keep it fresh thanks to newer fighters playing faster, along with the Rainbow edition bootleg making original and CE feel like playing in mud. Kinda cash-grabby.

Super was to show off the CPS2 hardware with a familiar title and was a full graphical and sound overhaul. Since there was a lot of actual work done to basically remake SF2 for the next generation, I can't fault it as a cash grab.

Turbo was a total, shameless cash grab and sealed SF's fate as a joke of ridiculous subtitles and re-releases up until SF5, which then became a joke of nickel and dimeing players to death with microtransactions.

Anyways, back to SS, I don't think they're really comparable since technically there were only two released versions of SS5 with distinct NGH numbers, the OG and Special. A ROM revision to nerf fatalities doesn't count, nor does a version that never saw the light of day officially.

And you're right in that SS5/SS5S weren't all that well received. The Neo was breathing it's very last gasps as a platform, the world had moved on to 3D graphics, casual players never knew it existed, hardcore players didn't care, and old, grizzled Neo fans snubbed their nose at it because it wasn't made by pre-bankruptcy SNK. SS5P wouldn't have made a lick of difference in sales.

IIRC correctly, the devs didn't make it to increase sales. They just wanted to flesh it out with more story and cutscenes, and tighten up the gameplay a bit more for competitive play for anyone that would care. The secret loke test went nowhere, and that was that. Doomed to be ROMs on a dusty old hard drive for years until two years ago.
I would agree, SSF2 Turbo is overhyped (in online reviews) as supposedly being the best of the series. Super was rushed to market without some features that the developers were originally going to include, such as the super moves, and these were later included in Turbo. They wanted to release it quickly to promote the new CPS2 hardware, which had copy protection the CPS1 lacked. There were also originally going to be eight new fighters is SSF2, not four.

The home versions of SSF2 just reused old graphics (player sprites) from the home version of SF2 Turbo, rather than being newly drawn like the arcade. And the SNES and Genesis versions of SSF2 were released when SSF2T was already in the arcades. So, that made it feel like even more of a cash grab- a minor update of the game, while the most up-to-date version was arcade only. It wouldn't affect the arcade profits of SSF2T, if people could only play SSF2 at home. SF2 was the first arcade/console game to make a billion dollars, that's why it was milked so much, and had so many imitator games from Midway, SNK, and other game companies.

I like the way SSF2T introduces the Akuma character. But they were totally going for gameplay balance, with overhead smashes to beat turtling players, nerfed dragon punches, and Guile is totally nerfed- totally a useless character to fight as.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I would agree, SSF2 Turbo is overhyped (in online reviews) as supposedly being the best of the series. Super was rushed to market without some features that the developers were originally going to include, such as the super moves, and these were later included in Turbo. They wanted to release it quickly to promote the new CPS2 hardware, which had copy protection the CPS1 lacked. There were also originally going to be eight new fighters is SSF2, not four.

The home versions of SSF2 just reused old graphics (player sprites) from the home version of SF2 Turbo, rather than being newly drawn like the arcade. And the SNES and Genesis versions of SSF2 were released when SSF2T was already in the arcades. So, that made it feel like even more of a cash grab- a minor update of the game, while the most up-to-date version was arcade only. It wouldn't affect the arcade profits of SSF2T, if people could only play SSF2 at home. SF2 was the first arcade/console game to make a billion dollars, that's why it was milked so much, and had so many imitator games from Midway, SNK, and other game companies.

I like the way SSF2T introduces the Akuma character. But they were totally going for gameplay balance, with overhead smashes to beat turtling players, nerfed dragon punches, and Guile is totally nerfed- totally a useless character to fight as. How can it be the best SF2 game, if it doesn't really have Guile?
What? Guile is useless in ST? WHAT

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member

Same - I hated on 5 Special for about 20 years but recently I've come around to it. 5S is well loved in the competitive community for its balanced roster and solid mechanics. Can't argue with that these days - the more I play the game the more I like it. Same with the 2019 Reboot.

At the same time, it's totally fair to criticize the SS5 games (5, 5S, 5P) for not looking or sounding as good as 90's SNK titles. I mean, what games from the Playmore era can actually match that kind of audio/visual quality? None.

I like the way SSF2T introduces the Akuma character. But they were totally going for gameplay balance, with overhead smashes to beat turtling players, nerfed dragon punches, and Guile is totally nerfed- totally a useless character to fight as. How can it be the best SF2 game, if it doesn't really have Guile?
Whaaaa? Curious of your reasoning here. 🤔

To be fair, I'm not a Super Turbo fan-boi, with Hyper Fighting being my favorite SF2 variant. Still, as a Guile/Vega main in just about all SF games, I've never found Guile to be useless in ST (except for his roundhouse Flash Kick). Guile has been a solid mid to high-mid tier character in all SF2 series games from Vanilla to Hyper. Everyone has their own experience, but this is kind of a surprise as this isn't my experience at all.