So the Ezra Miller Flash movie is finally coming out.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Wait a minute, how is Sandler a sellout? He's stuck exactly to what brought him to the party.
Yeah but there's definitely a difference between his brainless garbage movies from the 90s-00s and ones from the last decade or so. His current level of selling out is unmatched, his modern movies are basically just a bunch of commercials strung together.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, Adam Sandler didn't sell out (that would require having something of value to trade in for an easy paycheck) so much as create an effective embezzlement scheme that allowed he and his buddies to make a bunch of money, go on tropical vacations and film the cheapest, shittiest movies possible.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
lol @ complaining about actors selling out. Anthony Hopkins, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Al Pacino, De Niro, Meryl Streep the list goes on. Once these people get to a certain point in their career they just don't care anymore. Their past work speaks for itself. It's more about getting paid and having a bit of fun.

You think Samuel L. Jackson feels like he's compromised his career or "sold out"? Fuck no. That dude will be in damn near anything.

The only true sellouts are people like Kevin Hart and Adam Sandler.

Now go watch Birdman you fucks.
Adam Sandler is only a sellout because he larps as a guy from Brooklyn, NY instead of his actual home of Walmart, NH.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah but there's definitely a difference between his brainless garbage movies from the 90s-00s and ones from the last decade or so. His current level of selling out is unmatched, his modern movies are basically just a bunch of commercials strung together.
I dunno. I saw his two Murder Mystery movies on netflix, and while not good movies, I don't think they're objectively any worse than Big Daddy or whatever. And that Wrong Missy movie he put together for David Spade actually had a couple laughs in it.

Yeah, Adam Sandler didn't sell out (that would require having something of value to trade in for an easy paycheck) so much as create an effective embezzlement scheme that allowed he and his buddies to make a bunch of money, go on tropical vacations and film the cheapest, shittiest movies possible.
In terms of embezzlement schemes, I think you kind of have to put Sandler's shit movies in perspective to other stuff we're talking about recently like Flash, which I find much more egregious. Way more money wasted with no more entertainment value in return. Sandler's garbage is at least modestly budgeted and brings a profit for his investors, whereas Flash, Shazam 2, and Black Adam are almost single handedly tanking an entire studio.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Curious to see what happens with Aquaman 2. The first one made ridiculous amounts of money but every DC movie that has come out since bombed hard except Shazam 1, which was a moderate hit on a low budget.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Shazam might be the best DC movie.

I liked Aquaman more than I should. Completely forgettable but penultimate fight sequence with the various underwater armies was rad. It was like underwater sci-fi high fantasy. I didn’t know that was a genre I needed.

famicommander

15 Year Member

I liked Aquaman more than I should. Completely forgettable but penultimate fight sequence with the various underwater armies was rad. It was like underwater sci-fi high fantasy. I didn’t know that was a genre I needed.
The Geoff Johns Aquaman New 52 comic run that movie was based on was actually pretty damn good, and that's what rehabilitated the character in general.

I forgot Blue Beetle is coming out in August, before Aquaman 2. Can't imagine that does gangbusters but we'll see I guess.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Oof.

I should just go back and what Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.

On a related note I’m surprised we haven’t seen the X-Men yet in the MCU. I figured post-endgame that’s what we’d see - a new world endangering arc with new characters and not hangers-on who still want dat marvel money.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
In terms of embezzlement schemes, I think you kind of have to put Sandler's shit movies in perspective to other stuff we're talking about recently like Flash, which I find much more egregious. Way more money wasted with no more entertainment value in return. Sandler's garbage is at least modestly budgeted and brings a profit for his investors, whereas Flash, Shazam 2, and Black Adam are almost single handedly tanking an entire studio.

Bad/wasteful investments aren't scams. Say what you will about superhero movies (and I've said plenty) but they have armies of people working on them and nearly every second is filled with digital shit, giant set pieces and money being wildly flung at the screen.

Jack and Jill cost $60 $80 million dollars to make. Seriously... explain that without some kind of production scam.

Edit: The budget was even more comical than I remembered.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Bad/wasteful investments aren't scams. Say what you will about superhero movies (and I've said plenty) but they have armies of people working on them and nearly every second is filled with digital shit, giant set pieces and money being wildly flung at the screen.
Maybe I'm looking at it from another perspective. Yeah, they hire a bunch of people who all get paid. But the Warner Bros studio itself and the people who put up the hundreds of millions of dollars all take a bath. You repeat this exact process a bunch of times in a row over a short period of times and that starts to look like a scam to me.

About the Jack and Jill thing, I never watched that one, but wasn't it the one Pacino was in? That was probably 20 mil right there. I don't know how I put myself in the position where I'm the one defending Sandler movies ffs. Way to go, me.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

I think I said this in another thread, but I made the mistake of watching Aquaman a second time. First time, I thought it was perfectly fine. Fun bits, couple good action sequences, forgettable but an inoffensive time waster. It did not hold up to even one repeat viewing. Terrible.

I honestly hate to say this, but I expect the second Aquaman to bomb worse than Flash. Supposedly they've been reshooting like crazy because test audiences have been hating it for about a year already. Even if that weren't the case, these movies are in a downward spiral with a momentum I don't think can now be stopped until they actually crash into the mountain.

They really should full stop, and take a 5+ year break like they did after the Clooney Batman & Robin or the Bond franchise did after Dalton. Let people forget a bit, maybe make them miss the characters a little. The idea that the new Superman movie is supposed to come out next year or the year after sounds suicidal to me. Like a gambling addict who has already lost their entire savings, maxed out everything, borrowed from everyone they know, but still can't resist making that one more bet that could very well leave them homeless.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The two movies they released outside the shared universe, Joker and The Batman, both did really well. Joker kinda sucked but it made bank.

We'll see if the shared universe stink seeps into the sequels or not.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The two movies they released outside the shared universe, Joker and The Batman, both did really well. Joker kinda sucked but it made bank.

We'll see if the shared universe stink seeps into the sequels or not.
Batman will probably do fine, maybe not gangbusters. Joker will probably depend on word of mouth, since being a musical could easily backfire on them.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Sometimes he sneaks up on you with an Uncut Gems, Meyerowitz Stories, or Punch Drunk Love. I have to say Nick Cage did the same thing recently when I watched The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent with my Father and both he and I liked it.

I haven’t seen The Hustle yet but I know the guys that run Federal Donut in Philly ( He wears one of their oversized (he had to have an XXL)shirts in the movie), and they said he is a really nice guy.

Also, I have to say I’ve always enjoyed turning my brain off for a bit and remember going to see Adam Sandler movies on dates with the ladies in the 90s like The Wedding Singer (Incidentally the old lady who sings is from the same small coal mining town one of my Grandfathers is from (Mt. Caramel, PA the town next to Centraila the town forever on fire) and was about the same age so I wonder if they knew each other). And I still don’t mind sitting through any of his movies at least once or any of the movies from his cohorts like The Wrong Missy mentioned above, and I do get a laugh out of most of them.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think I said this in another thread, but I made the mistake of watching Aquaman a second time. First time, I thought it was perfectly fine. Fun bits, couple good action sequences, forgettable but an inoffensive time waster. It did not hold up to even one repeat viewing. Terrible.

I honestly hate to say this, but I expect the second Aquaman to bomb worse than Flash. Supposedly they've been reshooting like crazy because test audiences have been hating it for about a year already. Even if that weren't the case, these movies are in a downward spiral with a momentum I don't think can now be stopped until they actually crash into the mountain.

They really should full stop, and take a 5+ year break like they did after the Clooney Batman & Robin or the Bond franchise did after Dalton. Let people forget a bit, maybe make them miss the characters a little. The idea that the new Superman movie is supposed to come out next year or the year after sounds suicidal to me. Like a gambling addict who has already lost their entire savings, maxed out everything, borrowed from everyone they know, but still can't resist making that one more bet that could very well leave them homeless.

I wish DC would simply abandon the cinematic universe concept.

Batman has done fine as a stand-alone thing.

I’d love if they did Batman, Superman, etc more like Bond.

Give me different actors, different directors, different styles all tell their version of Batman or whoever.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Honestly they've done themselves more harm than good with all this cinematic universe nonsense.

They plan too far ahead yet somehow still manage to write themselves into a corner. They cast pieces of shit in key roles that span multiple movies. The cost of the movies is so ludicrously high that unless they make an amount equal to some countries GDP they're failures. They insist on following whatever PC trend is hot and then beat people over the head with it. They literally have a checklist of pandering junk mandated by the studios that no-one actually wants.

I also have a feeling that when a lot of these actors signed up for these franchises they never imagined it would dominate their career for the next 20 years. They have to be tired of it regardless of the money.

Not to mention audiences are finally turning on it all. People are tired, they want diversity and creativity in their entertainment. There's practically an entire generation that has grown up without any real creativity or originality in a massive chunk of their entertainment. And it's not because people don't want it.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I wish DC would simply abandon the cinematic universe concept.

Batman has done fine as a stand-alone thing.

I’d love if they did Batman, Superman, etc more like Bond.

Give me different actors, different directors, different styles all tell their version of Batman or whoever.
Excellent point, did DC have Infinity Gauntlet/ Secret Wars big event crossover in the their comics? I mean I know the Justice league is a thing. I honestly don’t know. The only time I ever collected comic books for like six months happened when the Infinity Gauntlet took place, which was basically most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe tie in.

Does anyone care beyond Superman and Batman really?

Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Excellent point, did DC have Infinity Gauntlet/ Secret Wars big event crossover in the their comics? I mean I know the Justice league is a thing. I honestly don’t know. The only time I ever collected comic books for like six months happens when the Infinity Gauntlet took place, which was basically most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe tie in.
The original Crisis on Infinite Earths was DC's first massive event. Done to simplify continuity, the end result was splitting the DC Universe back up again. They had Invasion, Armageddon, War of the Gods and other minor stuff but those happened when I was reading comics back before 2000. Damn but I'm old :(

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The original Crisis on Infinite Earths was DC's first massive event. Done to simplify continuity,
It had the exact opposite effect. Trying to consolodate everything caused a bunch of contradictions leading to an endless series of small retcons, each trying to fix the new problems the last one created. A few characters got rendered completely unusable for years due to the new continuity contradictions. It was infinitely simpler before the event. A dumb idea executed haphazardly. It very much reminds me of the current shared movie universe, actually. Only half thought-through to begin with, followed by a bunch of panicked course corrections mid-stream, fixing nothing and just making an increasingly bigger mess.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
alright. I went to see Flash.

The CG is not great. That is well known at this point. It doesnt detract from the film too much, but they should have stylized the CG instead of aiming for pseudo realism. It's not as bad a Modock, but it aint great. I don't think anyone is going to talk about this movie and not mention the CG, which is kind of a shame. The vast majority of scenes are excellent CG, but it falls apart whenever a human's face is involved. It's weird in that some scenes even impressive, and others look like a PS4 game. I'm sure this has to do with how the film industry contracts out special effects, but it's not helping this movie.

The story is pretty damn good for DC. This is probably one of the best put together DC movies. It manages to cover an origin story without being an origin story, which my wife greatly appreciated. She knows nothing of the Flash. Ezra is a good actor when they are not being crazy IRL. Keaton was a beast, and I would not consider this selling out at all. It was a great reprisal of the role, and suited the move well. Im generally cautious with movies that play with time, but this one handles it well.

Set expectations low, have a good time.

Good review, man.

It's worth a watch and I think some people should give it a shot, especially when it becomes available to stream or whatever.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Good review, man.

It's worth a watch and I think some people should give it a shot, especially when it becomes available to stream or whatever.
roker you invested in Flash stocks or something bro

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
roker you invested in Flash stocks or something bro

no, even sadder

I only see one movie a year in the theaters.

Last year it was "The Batman"

This year, "The Flash"

I kinda hate that movies aren't a thing anymore. I definitely think the days of indie movies in small theaters is coming to a close. We're left with comic book movies and fast and furious.