Sony cancels December 25th premiere of 'The Interview' after terror threat

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
what a fucking ridiculous world we live in man...

we need a draw muhammed day esque mass internet trolling of kim jong un.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Should have just put it in theaters in Texas and other places where everyone carries guns. It should work itself out.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Just reading around the internet, the reasons I'm hearing for the difference in reaction between Team America from the Kim Jong Il regime and The Interview from the Kim Jong Un regime are multifold. I don't know how much of this is true, but it all sounds like it COULD explain the reasons why.

1.) Kim Jong Il actually had a sense of humor about these things and didn't feel threatened by them. Any frustration he showed was partly to put on a show so it didn't appear that he was just bending over and taking it.

2.) Despite Kim Jong Il's boasts and grandstanding, he still secretly hoped for a diplomatic resolution with the rest of the world and knew that overreacting to pointless things only made him appear more irrational and less likely to be taken seriously.

3.) Kim Jong Un is being questioned by his own advisors and the people around him. Apparently, executing his uncle for treason was a show of force to blanket the fact that there was growing sentiment against him. Basically, fear tactics to keep people from thinking about ousting him or seeing any weakness. By the same token, this is just another fear tactic to show that his rule is to be taken seriously.

4.) Because he's young and not very well versed in international politics, he believes he has to stand up to any notion of weakness to American plots. Although this is a Sony picture, it's about Americans that sneak into North Korea to assassinate him. Since that makes it propaganda, he has to overdo it in his reaction.

I am not saying these are the reasons that this is happening. It's just what I've been reading. Few people can know what is happening in his mind. It's just the most reasonable speculation of all the things I've been reading on this subject lately.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I'm lazy!
so I won't google it, beside my level of caring being low but does this mean they're going to show it elsewhere(just based on thread title...)? I think that it wouldn't do much good to not show it here then?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Yeah I'm pretty surprised that it got pulled. Sony still has to take the shot and loose all the money they invested.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
If a "comedy" outlined a similar plot against Obama, would such a movie see the light of day?

Or would the director find himself locked in a casket for three days at a time, let out only so some CIA interrogator can funnel Big Macs up his ass with a diesel tube, while a revving mac truck runs jumper cables to his nipples?

WHILE getting piss-boarded by an african bull elephant that's shackled right above him?

Don't get me wrong, Kim Jong Ping Pongs a fucking faggot...but these hollywood jerkoff fantasies about offing a head of state is seen as an indirect declaration of war to these people.

Which leaves me conflicted, was the film supposed to take the piss out of some shitty little tyrant?

Or was this just another subtle piece of shit propaganda like Hitman (2007), where agent 47 acts out a GOP wetdream by killing Russian President Vladimir Putin....er- Mikhail Belicoff at the end?

Were the film makers

1) Truly well intentioned; sticking up for the downtrodden North Koreans?
2) Attention whore faggots?
3) Playfully inviting NK into Americas perpetual war on earth, while conditioning American doofs to accept it when it happens a few years from now?

In this post 9/11 world we live in its usually a combination of 2 and 3.

So here's my verdict:
Fuck this film, Rogen and Franco can eat a dick.

Last edited:

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
Was never going to watch that movie. Can't stand Seth Rogan and whoever the other guy is. More Adam Sandler type shit where they're the same person in every film with a different occupation.

What is stupid is that the theater groups gave in to this shit as did Sony. North Korea now dictates America's free speech because the US is filling up with a bunch of pussies.

I actually bet that Sony Japan, not Sony USA, made the final call on this. Kind of shitty to pull it, but ultimately, Seth Rogen is tremendously unfunny and this movie probably sucked anyway. No big loss.

Maybe Kim Jong Un had it pulled as a humanitarian aid. He knew it was going to be awful, so he spared Americans the pain of seeing it.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I actually bet that Sony Japan, not Sony USA, made the final call on this. Kind of shitty to pull it, but ultimately, Seth Rogen is tremendously unfunny and this movie probably sucked anyway. No big loss.

I agree with all of this.

It's easy to believe Sony Japan made this call.

And Seth Rogan is not funny. I don't think I've ever laughed at anything he's ever said or done, in a movie or in an interview.

I like Franco, though. He shows a pretty good range and can hop back and forth between dramatic and comedic pretty effortlessly.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
They should release The Interview for free on all services, DRM free and everything. Let people pass it around as a giant go fuck yourselves. Its the most just solution at this point.

They should release it on vhs and laserdisc
so they could air drop it from balloons to North Korea.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Sony, God, Kim Junwhatever, or Santa, please cancel Seth Rogen.

Now that I think about it, I may be willing to let the terrorist win if it means that there is no more Seth Rogan.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
It's funny. I love Freaks and Geeks. But I hate everything else that this faux intellectual and his stoner bro have been in.

Agreed. Freaks and Geeks is so good. James Franco has done a few other worthwhile projects and I've chuckled at Seth Rogen a couple times when he's not working with Franco, but the two of them together is cringeworthy.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Since it's not going to be released, the master reels originally intended for the theaters will probably go for insane prices on ebay.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
They're probably just going to make it a straight-to-dvd/bluray release now. Might as well take advantage of the free advertisement.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Sony mentioned because they pussed out that this movie was gonna go VOD.

Also, Seth Rogen has a really annoying laugh. Case in point.

Right at the point where they start building whatever they're making.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Variety have reported that Sony have no other release plans for The Interview at this point, including VOD or DVD.

I wonder if this is worldwide or if it will still come out here in the UK and other countries.