The Avengers Trailer

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Why can't I get excited about this movie? I don't understand why this isn't doing anything for me.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
yeah brah, Loki Laufeyson

edit: Kid, the reason you aren't excited is because it looks so by-the-numbers and safe. the movie seems mechanical, in a way.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
edit: Kid, the reason you aren't excited is because it looks so by-the-numbers and safe. the movie seems mechanical, in a way.
It's weird, because I do like the characters, I think they're well-cast, and I like the director. But the two trailers make the movie look tedious.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Eventually got into punisher, xmen and xfactor, and Spiderman.

Perhaps, you're unhappy about the insufficient number of...
Spoiler:
pouches?

BLOODPOUCH.jpg

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Can somebody explain to me why Captain America is still young? I didn't see the movie yet, but wasn't he created during WW2?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Can somebody explain to me why Captain America is still young? I didn't see the movie yet, but wasn't he created during WW2?

At the end of WW II, Cap fell into icy waters and was frozen into a state of suspended animation due to super soldier serum in his blood.

He ended up frozen in a murky block of ice and was being worshipped by eskimos as some kind of totem.

Namor the submariner (who was a villain at this point in Marvel history) showed up, got pissed off that they weren't worshiping him instead and threw the ice block into the water. Because the block was all murky and thick, he couldn't see that it was his old friend from WW II, Cap, inside. Even if he would have recognized him, he probably wouldn't have cared because he was in bad guy mode. Hell, he might have been more angry since he was pissed off at America for polluting the waters with waste dumping and so forth. Nmor doesn't age as quickly as people because of his Atlantean blood, so that's why he's still young after WW II.

The Avengers, chasing after Namor in their submarine, found the ice block sinking down through the water. Namor had thrown it so far that it ended up in warmer waters where it started to thaw.

They recovered the block, saw a person frozen inside it and completed the thawing process and got themselves a Captain America in the process.

That's how it happened, more or less, in the funny books.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
looks kind of meh to me

i do love Whedon though and am hoping for the best

also Scarlett Johansson is the single most attractive female (when she has red hair) on the planet for me so i'll take any chance i get to see her in tight leather

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Wow, that was informative. Thank you!

Happy to help out.

The thing that confuses me about the movie version is that they don't explain how he was able to survive frozen in ice at the end. Or more specifically, the baffling decision by Joe Johnston to not answer the question at the end of the film.

The movie version has S.H.I.E.L.D. finding him and thawing him out, but they keep him under wraps and in a hospital bed that looks like it was from the 40s so he doesn't experience severe culture shock when he wakes up.

He realizes something is wrong when he recognizes the baseball game from the 40s that S.H.I.E.L.D. is piping through the radio. Cap remembers having already listened to that game, so he knows there's a problem. He busts out and runs through downtown Manhattan in the present day. Standing in the middle of Times Square, Nick Fury shows up and says 'oh, by the way, you were frozen for 70 years and a lot's changed since then.'

And then it goes into the Avengers trailer.

The movie never has Cap ask 'wait, how did I survive if I've been frozen for 70 years?'

There is some hint about his blood being able to do some crazy things earlier in the movie, but it's never explained. It's the one glaring omission in the Cap movie to me, which is otherwise my favorite superhero movie on a number of levels.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I think it's also because how long we've waited for this. All of the other films after Iron Man felt like big budget trailers. Thor was terrible and the new Hulk and Captain America were alright. Better the Iron Man 2 but for me the first Iron Man was still my favorite of the bunch. I'd love to see more characters but I think the roster they have is fine. Don't want it to be like Spider-Man 3 where Venom was just thrown in like an afterthought.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Don't want it to be like Spider-Man 3 where Venom was just thrown in like an afterthought.

No kidding. The whole point of Venom is that it doesn't make sense for Spider-Man to realistically have a chance to take him in any kind of meaningful confrontation. The sense of terror and intimidation just wasn't there like it should have been.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Eh, I thought Thor was pretty good, especially compared against what it could have been. My favorite of the recent Marvel character movies, though, is X-Men: First Class by miles.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I really enjoyed X-Men: First Class.

I thought the historical spin on the whole Cuban Missile Crisis was really cool and it was just an enjoyable flick.

I'll have to check out Thor. I didn't see Captain America either though I intended to.

Spiderman 3...I wish I could forget that film happened. They should just make a new Spiderman flick with Venom in it. It'd be all good then.

I kind of wish a company could just put out a Super Hero film without having to explain the backstory every single damn time.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
On the subject of Spiderman 3, I feel it is the main reason they are rebooting the comic so quickly. The first two movies are awesome. Then three came along and fucked it all up.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Sam should have pulled a Peter Jackson and made Spider-Man 3 a two part movie. Gwen and Eddie didn't belong in there, hell you could even cut out Sandman. They could have had the movie focus on just Peter and Harry and it would have been awesome. Instead they had two shoehorn Gwen, Eddie and Sandman in it along with the Symbiote. You could have introduced Gwen and Eddie in three, but kept them minor. It's not even like in the Fox Animated series where you had Eddie in from the start and he slowly started to have a rivalry with Peter, so it made sense that he wanted to get back at Peter for getting fired. They rushed it so fast to get Venom in and barley used him and the stuff with Harry felt rushed too. It was just WAY too much.

And yes, First Class was amazing. I was worried after Wolverine, but my god did they deliver. I'd love to see another one, but I think they'd just end up rebooting the whole series.

(And I liked the second Hulk movie better because it was kind of both a sequel and reboot. They didn't bog it down with yet another origin story and they actually gave him a villain to fight rather then the stupid Gamma Charged Poodle.)

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Didn't want to bump the thread, but their teasing another trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man tomorrow. I've been seeing leaked pictures of the toys and The Lizard looks really silly. Hopefully it'll look better on film then on a plastic toy.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
As Moon Jump mentioned, The Amazing Spider-Man’s 2nd Trailer was released this morning. Here ya go.

Here's the 1st trailer that was released a while back.

Last edited: