The Comic Book Thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, there's a series of omnibi. The first four of which will take you to issue #60. I used to have a bunch of random issues of that series. Always fun and better than the regular Marvel series back in the day. But if you like Conan, I also recomend the series done by Dark Horse Comics in the 2000s. The first several collections are all great.
What's the Dark Horse Conan series called?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What's the Dark Horse Conan series called?
Conan.

Which was 50 issues. It was followed by a bunch of sequel series... Conan the Cimmerian, Conan the Barbarian, Conan the something else, I don't remember them all or the order they came out. And really, I can only speak to the quality of the first series. I don't know if the same people worked on the follow ups.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
The entire DnA run is worth reading. Legion of the Damned 4-parter in LSH and Legionnaires, which led into Legion Lost 12-part series, which led into Legion Worlds, and finally, The Legion. I'm a huge Legion fan going back decades and this was the best the Legion has been in many years (and they haven't been as good any time since DnA left). It was a dream to be able to work on them.

Yeah, there's a series of omnibi. The first four of which will take you to issue #60. I used to have a bunch of random issues of that series. Always fun and better than the regular Marvel series back in the day. But if you like Conan, I also recomend the series done by Dark Horse Comics in the 2000s. The first several collections are all great.

My exposure to the Legion was the third issue of the Legionaries with Sprouse I got from a rando 30 comic pack from Costco way back in the day. I've basically been going back to play catch up ever since with older issues to the current Bendis run.

Also making my way through Body Bags again since Jason Pearson passed.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Back on the Conan I was looking for earlier: apprently the publishing rights have shifted over the past 15 years.

Dark Horse did a reprint collection starting in 2007, the Marvel did some reprints in 2019ish, and now Titan Comics is apparently reprinting a 2 volume Omnibus of the entirety of the Savage Sword of Conan. It’s up for preorder on Amazon now for book 1 with a release in June. It’s a $125 but 775 pages so seems like a good deal and better than tracking down all the previous collected issues. I think Marvels reprint was 8 volumes and peaking around just the first book used is going for $100+

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Those giant omnibuses always suck to actually read though, super awkward due to the thickness and weight. You practically have to set them on a table, which is not idea for casual reading. At least the newer ones have better spines, the old ones sucked and would break easily. I wish they would do more where they're split into 2 or 3 volumes and housed in a sturdy slipcase.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, not looking forward to a giant tome. I’ve handled a few before, and they’re unwieldy - like some kind library reference manual you can’t check out.

I’m going to have read this on a table or something. Maybe I’ll make a lectern, dedicated to the worship of Crom and leave the good books of Conan there.

Either that or hunt down the 8 volume Matvel set at $100+ a book apparently.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
We recently lost another legend in John Romita Sr. who passed away on June 12 at the age of 93.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Legendary comic book writer/artist Keith Giffen passes away at 70.

Writer and artist Keith Giffen, prolific for decades of groundbreaking comic book work at both DC Comics, Marvel Comics, and other publishers, has passed away at the age of 70 from a stroke on October 10. He was perhaps most famous as the co-creator of Lobo and the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle for DC, Rocket Raccoon for Marvel, and his legendary runs on Justice League International and Legion of Super-Heroes for DC.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Giffen and his LSH run were huge for me as a kid. Got to meet him once and work with him at some point, and he was cantankerous in a way I found both easily relatable and enjoyable. RIP

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Giffen and his LSH run were huge for me as a kid. Got to meet him once and work with him at some point, and he was cantankerous in a way I found both easily relatable and enjoyable. RIP
That's interesting, what do you do?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That's interesting, what do you do?
Underwater welding for offshore arctic structures. Inspecting and testing of underwater structures to ensure integrity and safe operation. Welding and attatching metal components and structures underwater according to proper protocol. Shit like that.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Underwater welding for offshore arctic structures. Inspecting and testing of underwater structures to ensure integrity and safe operation. Welding and attatching metal components and structures underwater according to proper protocol. Shit like that.
Erm, did Giffen do a lot of his artwork underwater?

I can't tell if you're taking the piss you wily american you

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Erm, did Giffen do a lot of his artwork underwater?

I can't tell if you're taking the piss you wily american you
I also do lettering for comic books, but that's more of a side hustle. Mostly it's the underwater stuff, welding, keeping up with my certifications and what have you.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I also do lettering for comic books, but that's more of a side hustle. Mostly it's the underwater stuff, welding, keeping up with my certifications and what have you.
Must be quite a commute :cautious:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Marvel Comics Legend Paul Neary Dies at 74

The legendary Paul Neary, known for iconic work at both Marvel and DC, has passed away at the age of 74. Neary's friend and colleague Alan Davis shared the news in a statement that Neary passed away on February 10th after a long battle with illness, and in that same post shared a touching tribute to Neary's incredible work in the industry. Neary was one of the rare talents who could write, ink, color, letter, and edit, and throughout his career, he would help create all-time runs on books like Excalibur, Batman and The Outsiders, The Authority, Ultimates, and JLA, in addition to serving as Marvel UK Editor-in-Chief at two different times.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Some years ago The Kid said something about the comixology app, and I downloaded that on my iPad and eventually spent a lot of money collecting all the comics on Morrison's Animal Man Run, all the Preacher comics, and some Sandman. Turned on my iPad for the first time in like a year to check it out and now it says this app is not available anymore. I guess it's a China thing. What a bitch.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Some years ago The Kid said something about the comixology app, and I downloaded that on my iPad and eventually spent a lot of money collecting all the comics on Morrison's Animal Man Run, all the Preacher comics, and some Sandman. Turned on my iPad for the first time in like a year to check it out and now it says this app is not available anymore. I guess it's a China thing. What a bitch.
It all got folded into the Amazon Kindle app everywhere

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I can't even view the comics I purchased. Fucking sucks, man.
Whenever you show up in a country that allows amazon, the comics you bought on comixology will be waiting. They did fuck up the service pretty bad, though.

If you can use the Kindle app, you can read all your purchased comixology comics right now. You just won't be able to buy any more new ones without Amazon.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Pirate them if it doesn't work Sage. They only did this with the US store last time I checked. Was able to still read my purchases from the EU store.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Ramona Fradon, DC Comics Metamorpho Cocreator and ‘Aquaman’ Artist, Dies at 97

Ramona Fradon, a comics artist for more than 70 years, has died at 97. She retired just last month. Fradon’s death was shared by Catskill Comics, a comic book art dealer, on Facebook.

She began her career in 1950, beginning to work for DC Comics early on. She’s best known as an artist on “Aquaman” and cocreator of the superhero Metamorpho, set to be played by “Barry” actor Anthony Carrigan in James Gunn’s forthcoming “Superman: Legacy” next year.

Catskill Comics posted, “It comes with great sadness to announced that Ramona Fradon has passed away a few moments ago. Ramona was 97 and had a long career in the comic book industry and was still drawing just a few days ago.”

Fradon announced her retirement on Jan. 9 via Catskill Comics. A post on the art dealer’s site read, “After an extremely long run in the comic industry, at 97, Ramona has decided it’s time for her to retire. She will no longer be doing commissions. She apologizes to all the fans who have been waiting patiently on her wait list to get one. She did say though from time to time she’ll do a drawing or two to put up for sale on the website.”

“Ramona Fradon started her career in 1950. She has worked for DC Comics, drawing ‘Aquaman,’ for which she co-created the character Metamorpho. She has also worked other DC titles such as ‘Superman,’ ‘Batman’ and ‘Plastic Man’ along with comic strip Brenda Starr.”

Fradon was born on Oct. 2, 1926, in Chicago, Illinois, and grew up in New York City. She graduated from Parsons School of Design in 1950 and was hired by DC Comics in 1951. Fradon began working on “Aquaman” comics that year, and she also cocreated the characters Aqualad and Metamorpho. She paused her career in 1965 to raise her daughter, but returned to DC in 1972.

She took over as the lead artist on “Brenda Starr, Reporter” in 1980 and continued to work on the series until 1995.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Reading Icon since Mark MD Bright passed last week and man these panels he did are flames.

Will read some Quantum & Woody later.