The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't know how it works in other areas, but around here public schools have higher standards for teachers than private schools.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Yes, my entire education.

Do you know the population I work with?

If one of my employees pulled some shit like that they’d be done.

We set the bar far too low for public school teachers. Pay is also far too low.
I actually don't know what you do. In my experience, public school teachers can have some major fucking problems that they don't bother to hide (drinking in class out of Diet Coke cans) or can't contain (screaming fits, crying from being bullied by little kids).

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I actually don't know what you do. In my experience, public school teachers can have some major fucking problems that they don't bother to hide (drinking in class out of Diet Coke cans) or can't contain (screaming fits, crying from being bullied by little kids).

I think we’d agree then that those types of “teachers” are unfit to do their jobs.

I work with severely emotionally disturbed youth in a residential treatment setting. My agency both houses the youth and operates their school. They have 24/7 supervision. I now supervise the paraeducators who work with students in the classroom.

The type of shit you describe from teachers would not fly here coming from any staff. This work is not for everyone, or even most people.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Anyway I don’t mean to derail, i’m overally sensitive to adults tasked with taking care of children who in turn behave like children. What a great example to set.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I will say this, there have been a great many people who have been broken during the pandemic due to stress. I have seen some bizarre behavior from people I never would have expected it from and I’m not just talking about anti-vax conspiracy trumpers either.

Reactions: @M

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I will say this, there have been a great many people who have been broken during the pandemic due to stress. I have seen some bizarre behavior from people I never would have expected it from and I’m not just talking about anti-vax conspiracy trumpers either.
Same. One of my co-workers was super dependable and had 22 years under her belt and she quit not long into the pandemic, last year, something I couldn't even imagine her doing prior to that--it was just too much for her.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Same. One of my co-workers was super dependable and had 22 years under her belt and she quit not long into the pandemic, last year, something I couldn't even imagine her doing prior to that--it was just too much for her.
That doesn't sound like bizarre behaviour, from what you say about your job it sounds entirely rational.

Reactions: @M

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Everybody I know is making more money (including 2 of my sister in laws that are back working at a place that there were previously fired from and told to never come back). Everybody enjoyed all the time home with the kids.

The only person I know that is worse off is my neighbor who died of the covid.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The boom in my side hustle is more than making up for the money I have lost in terms of not getting a raise and the year that my work didn't contribute to my retirement. Because we didn't get a raise, we got 12 Paid fridays off last Summer. I'll take more time off any day.

My oldest daughters had a classroom of 3 people last year (half days) until January. Then in January it went to 5 kids, full days. Can't beat that.
My other Pre-K student had a class of 6 rather than the usual 12. Can't beat that.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Everybody I know is making more money (including 2 of my sister in laws that are back working at a place that there were previously fired from and told to never come back). Everybody enjoyed all the time home with the kids.

The only person I know that is worse off is my neighbor who died of the covid.

It’s still shit in direct care and any entry level/low wage job.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Actually, they are doing pretty good in a warm-bodies job.

Before the pandemic, they were making like $12 an hour. Now they are making like $17 an hour. During the time that they were fired for attendance, they were pulling in $600-$900 in funemployment plus pulling down $10,000+ in stimulus checks. .

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
My son plays hockey and baseball. He lost a full season of both and just stopped playing baseball. That sucked

My wife is a stay at home mom, who had to add teaching and tech support to her list of daily jobs. That sucked.

We didn't have in person learning until after Spring Break and now have second grade students that haven't been to school since kinder. That sucks.

Many parents just didn't participate in distance learning. I'm teaching some second graders "letter names and numbers past 5". That sucks.

Along with politics, it has really divided countries. That sucks.

People I know have died. That sucks.

People milked the fuck out of unemployment. That sucks.

Many small businesses closed for good. That sucks.

I could keep going...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
CA’s handling of unemployment is some next level ineptitude and appears to have been that way for years.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
My son plays hockey and baseball. He lost a full season of both and just stopped playing baseball. That sucked

My wife is a stay at home mom, who had to add teaching and tech support to her list of daily jobs. That sucked.

We didn't have in person learning until after Spring Break and now have second grade students that haven't been to school since kinder. That sucks.

Many parents just didn't participate in distance learning. I'm teaching some second graders "letter names and numbers past 5". That sucks.

Along with politics, it has really divided countries. That sucks.

People I know have died. That sucks.

People milked the fuck out of unemployment. That sucks.

Many small businesses closed for good. That sucks.

I could keep going...
Be honest dude, your son quit baseball because baseball sucks.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Would have been better if he stopped playing hockey. That sport is expensive.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hockey is fun. Baseball is for creepy trailer trash.
Hockey is like the good soccer. Low scoring, but they fight instead of flop. Also, it is a matter of record that there has never once been a single man bun in hockey. You can look it up; that is fact.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
THat's actually good.
How? Driving up wages in low paying jobs? I can see that. Keeping people home to slow the spread of covid? I can see that too. What angle were you taking on "people not working because unemployment pays more" being a good thing were you thinking of?

Hockey is stupid expensive, Lol and here it's travel or nothing. There is not one other ice arena within an hour of here. We just had a game is Stockton, which is 2 1/2 hours away. This isn't Minnesota, Lol

If he gave up hockey, I'd be sad though. It's become a big part of our lives. He's been with the same kids for 4 years, which is great! Baseball was my sport. He had 7 seasons in before he was 7. (Fall ball and spring) Hockey took over and it's pretty much year round now. He has been going to free lacrosse clinics on Friday nights though, and that's way more local. I almost put him on a travel baseball team when covid started, but they had to go to Oregon and Arizona just to play. F-that, Lol

Baseball is the game around here. My neighbor has a batting cage in her back yard, pays for private lessons, travel team practice every other day, etc etc...but it got her kid a free ride to 10k per year private high school.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Baseball is the game around here. My neighbor has a batting cage in her back yard, pays for private lessons, travel team practice every other day, etc etc...but it got her kid a free ride to 10k per year private high school.

Maybe he will even get a contract and have the opportunity to be embarrassed on the diamond by a kid from the DR that grew up using a ball made out of a diaper and a glove made out of a milk carton.