The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I had some time off from work last week. Found out via email that the Board of Directors has decided that on Nov 30 my agency is “suspending” current services for all the youth in our care and looks like everyone is getting laid off. Reason being is not enough staffing. I hate that it makes sense.

This seems like a shitty time to be on unemployment, I think all the extra pandemic unemployment funds have run out?

Right before Christmas too, ouch. I haven’t spoken with my boss about it yet.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sucks man.

My gf's sisters were recently laid off for a similar reason.

Not enough Line Operators to run the machines that they work on.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Well at least it looks like vaccine approval for 5-11 year olds is coming soon.

Found out two vaccinated people I know also got Covid :( One has historically had a pretty poor immune system, but no hospitalization for them luckily. Other person just had mild symptoms and the no-smell thing.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear that, 'Duf. I hope you'll be able to find another job that you'll enjoy quickly.

Fuck if I know how, but, my facility passed our State inspection with no citations and only 4 "concerns" (no, consequences, "just try to do better" kind of thing). Three CNAs called in today already--I thought for sure the State was going to have kittens about us being constantly short-staffed, but, it's like that everywhere, so, there's probably nothing they can do?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Why would the national guard assist a private entity, unless M’s facility is run by the state?

Where I used to live we did have a state run (I believe) retirement home for Veterans. It appeared to be pretty nice, but maybe that was because it was just new?

Anyway, is the real answer to the labor shortage to simply pay workers more?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why would the national guard assist a private entity, unless M’s facility is run by the state?

If the health of the public is at stake (in this case the residents), then it should be permissible in an emergency. Figure the money out later.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I had some time off from work last week. Found out via email that the Board of Directors has decided that on Nov 30 my agency is “suspending” current services for all the youth in our care and looks like everyone is getting laid off. Reason being is not enough staffing. I hate that it makes sense.

This seems like a shitty time to be on unemployment, I think all the extra pandemic unemployment funds have run out?

Right before Christmas too, ouch. I haven’t spoken with my boss about it yet.

Oh no i’m sorry ‘Duf. I was hoping the worst of layoffs was behind us now but I guess that was being too optimistic.

Fucking Covid.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If the health of the public is at stake (in this case the residents), then it should be permissible in an emergency. Figure the money out later.

As long as “figure out the money later” means workers get paid on time.

No pay? No work.

RE: Childcare…isn’t there a shortage of child care workers?

There seems (appears) to be something else going on, especially with low wage/low skill workers and jobs.

A lot of this work just isn’t worth it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Looks like last day for me is Nov 30.

Im a bit more disappointed then I thought I would be. Work is just work, but I dunno. At some point I became a True Believer(TM) in what we do here. Feel like it’s a damn shame because I do think the services we provide to the youth in our care are pretty good. A lot of youth facilities are just terrible.

Would’ve been 12 years here in February. That feels like a lifetime ago.

I might just take December off and get on unemployment but man does being unemployed suck.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear that, 'Duf. I hope you'll be able to find another job that you'll enjoy quickly.

Fuck if I know how, but, my facility passed our State inspection with no citations and only 4 "concerns" (no, consequences, "just try to do better" kind of thing). Three CNAs called in today already--I thought for sure the State was going to have kittens about us being constantly short-staffed, but, it's like that everywhere, so, there's probably nothing they can do?
You should fire the CNAs who repeatedly call in sick.

Hire new ones.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Duf, with all that time you’ve put in, they clouldnt transfer you somewhere?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
We’re just a single agency, that’s it. A non-profit. Probably never had more than 75 employees total.

Sounds like as a business we’re done. Not sure what the board is going to do. Sell the assets? But who gets the money. I don’t believe we’re in any significant debt. But I’m not the money guy.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

Hire new ones.

lol, they're already hiring anyone that walks in the door with a pulse. They're not going to fire anyone that they don't absolutely have to.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Lithy hire me at your brewery. I’ll mop the floor and take partial payment in flour, yeast, and dried grains or legumes.

@M

20 Year Member

Hire new ones.
Believe me, we've tried. $5 an hour wage increase, with a big sign advertising it out front, even. CNA isn't a fun job and retaining them is difficult, especially during the pandemic. You also have to be certified, a 3 week course (which we even PAY applicants to take, whether they stay with us or not). Unless they really mess up, we can't afford to lose anymore CNAs, even the ones with really poor attendance (my employer is a little too generous with sick days too, which doesn't help) they're the backbone that keeps the place going. The worst part is that the dependable CNAs that do show up then have to work mandated 12-16 hours to cover for the bad ones, barely get any sleep, then, they get burned out and quit too. If I had CNA certification, they'd be yanking me from my activities department to work the floor every day (they do have me feed during meal times, because I did get my optional certification for that), that's why one of my former co-workers quit, and, recently, our receptionist, one of our best and most valued employees. They kept pulling her to the floor, for weeks, to be a CNA, instead of doing her real desk job, that she left being a CNA for, and she finally had enough.

@M

20 Year Member
lol, they're already hiring anyone that walks in the door with a pulse. They're not going to fire anyone that they don't absolutely have to.
This. As long as you pass your criminal background check/fingerprinting and your previous employers/references will vouch for you, we'll almost certainly take you. But, like I said, to be a CNA you also need to already be certified or take our 3-week certification course first, and CNAs are what we need the most. If said certification wasn't a requirement we'd almost certainly get a lot more applicants.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Duf, my heart aches for you mang. 12 years is a lifetime in our business. I’ve known of very few foot soldiers, that lasted more than 5 years.
(ILS coaches, assistant teachers, teachers)

many (like you did) move on and up into supervision, OT/PT/Art specials…or just bounce entirely (what I ended up doing).

iirc- your place was day and residential students, right?

Where will the kids go? Placement was hella difficult *before* the pandemic in many states.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You’re asking mercy of Lithy? Wow.

Haha, just trying to add some funsies to the thread. He already said he wasn’t going to work in a historical brewery with me in Ohio :emb:

I like Lithy. He’s a good guy.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Duf, my heart aches for you mang. 12 years is a lifetime in our business. I’ve known of very few foot soldiers, that lasted more than 5 years.
(ILS coaches, assistant teachers, teachers)

many (like you did) move on and up into supervision, OT/PT/Art specials…or just bounce entirely (what I ended up doing).

iirc- your place was day and residential students, right?

Where will the kids go? Placement was hella difficult *before* the pandemic in many states.

We had youth 24/7 in residence and ran our own school as well that youth attended. We had a day school as well for special Ed students usually with more developmental disabilities.

Yeah, I’m definitely sad for the kids. Most of them will be alright as we have a few who probably could transition home or to a less intensive setting. We have a few though who my heart breaks for, probably no where is going to take them and they’re going to end up on some social workers couch, or worse. All the kids are supposed to be out Nov 19 but I’m certain will have at least one youth until Nov 30 as we’re shutting down Dec 1.

I looked at some of the other facilities locally and they have a ton of open positions. Doesn’t bode well for them.

Appreciate the words man, my tenure at this place is definitely abberant, especially so long as a soldier.