The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Masks other than property fitted N95s do basically nothing even in controlled settings. So real world, a cloth or surgical mask likely provides a visible reminder to social distance and little else.

THis is wrong on so many fronts. Universal maskin' reduces the amount of virus spread into the air.

THere is some real world data on mask mandates and so far it looks like masks are effective.

Because of the amount of real world situations, there will be even more data on the effectiveness of universal masking and vaccines to control the spread of the virus. Unfortunately, that comprehensive data won't be published and reviewed until long after the virus is on the way out.

The world is one big experiment.... Have fun being part of the control group.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It is really hard to fire someone who calls in sick right now.

Firing people who call in sick is covid promoting activity.
I guess the main idea is fire people who are making this shit up.

present proof in the form of a doctor's note, recent test result, or no sick pay.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

present proof in the form of a doctor's note, recent test result, or no sick pay.
Or like give people enough PTO that they don't have to lie about being sick.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

These low wage workers aren’t getting any meaningful amount of sick pay. At my work employees only get 24 hours of sick time per year.

Plenty of employees used that up by the end of January.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Low wage workers getting a Dr’s note?

Also not happening. They’re already not getting paid for missed work.

I don’t disagree with you though. Fire those who chronically miss work for no legitimate reason.

It’s a dick move but can always write people up for calling out, especially if they do so in a manner inconsistent with company policy and then move to termination after X write ups without a change in behavior.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

I don’t disagree with you though. Fire those who chronically miss work for no legitimate reason.

It’s a dick move but can always write people up for calling out, especially if they do so in a manner inconsistent with company policy and then move to termination after X write ups without a change in behavior.
Right - I don't care about employees who need a day off. I care about the ones chronically skipping work on the weekends, forcing other people to handle their shifts. It's better if those employees aren't around at all.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Neither do I, but if places can't afford to pay a decent wage, they need to make up for it in other ways.

I think the reality is they can afford to do it but won’t because it eats in to the profits.

But as Wasabi said employees should walk away from bad jobs and I think a large part of the “labor shortage” is just that.

“Essential Workers” and our everyday “Heroes” have told these low wage paying corporations to fuck off.

Can you imagine have been a retail worker during the pandemic or working as an employee, anywhere, where you made minimum wage and had to enforce a mask mandate for your customers? Fuck that.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
@lithy doesn’t have to wear a mask at work?

Nope. Not really in a customer facing position anyway, but none of the FOH is wearing one either, not required by state or owner. Can't even remember the last time I saw someone I work with wearing one, probably sometime between end of 2020 and March 2021.

I still occasionally see a customer come in with one before sitting down but for the most part, the overwhelming number of customers are coming in with no mask.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Ah, no state mandate makes sense. We’re a bit all over the place here in CA. Looks like almost all workers are masked and I know counties can have their own mandates. Where I live their is no county mask mandate, where I work there is. And businesses can still set their own policy (although I think the state does require a mask if you’re unvaccinated), but No one is enforcing anything.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
When my GF was working cleaning hotel rooms, you could not return to work after calling out sick without a doctor's note saying that you were okay to return to work.

This was prior to telemedicine.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
But as Wasabi said employees should walk away from bad jobs and I think a large part of the “labor shortage” is just that.
I think a lot of it also has to do with older workers deciding that it's time to retire (due to covid). For the last 10-15 years there was a huge bottleneck of boomers refusing to retire.

And there is also a lack of childcare (particularly when the schools were not full time in person). There still is a [diminishing] chance that schools could go back to hybrid or at home instruction, so lots of parents are waiting and seeing.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
NY recently implemented mandatory paid sick leave for employers with >5 employees or 1 million in sales (unpaid for those smaller than that).

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I think a lot of it also has to do with older workers deciding that it's time to retire (due to covid). For the last 10-15 years there was a huge bottleneck of boomers refusing to retire.

And there is also a lack of childcare (particularly when the schools were not full time in person). There still is a [diminishing] chance that schools could go back to hybrid or at home instruction, so lots of parents are waiting and seeing.
I think what scared boomers even more than COVID itself was the prospect of adopting technology. I know one PCP who retired rather than learning how to use Zoom and a telemedicine platform.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think what scared boomers even more than COVID itself was the prospect of adopting technology. I know one PCP who retired rather than learning how to use Zoom and a telemedicine platform.
Based

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
NY recently implemented mandatory paid sick leave for employers with >5 employees or 1 million in sales (unpaid for those smaller than that).

I think we have that in CA too but it’s not like it’s unlimited paid sick leave.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I used to wear a half face mask when I worked in a refinishing booth.

When I was in the sanding area, we just used dust filters. When I was in the refinishing booth, we used charcoal cartridges.