The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
One of my co-workers just posted this. I got vaccinated, and I think everyone should, but, at the same time, I'm torn. These aren't faceless people I don't know, they're people I've worked alongside for a long time that are going to be shown the door if they don't comply by the 5th.

FB_IMG_16382126892905084.jpg

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
With other diseases, the anti-vaxxers really are selfish. They are social loafers.

The chances of an unvaccinated person getting the measles is extremely rare to the point where one can argue that they are objectively better off for not getting the vaccine. The risk may be not worthy of the reward on an individual scale.

But with the current state of covid, the unvaccinated are gambling to lose.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
One of my co-workers just posted this. I got vaccinated, and I think everyone should, but, at the same time, I'm torn. These aren't faceless people I don't know, they're people I've worked alongside for a long time that are going to be shown the door if they don't comply by the 5th.

View attachment 54067
One of your co-workers is a melodramatic simpleton with a persecution complex. No one is forcing them to work in the healthcare industry if they are offended by the idea of protecting their clients' health. This is what I'm talking about. Fucking children in grown up people bodies. Or how about this? Go start your own business if you don't like the way someone else runs theirs.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Posting single image stills as a means of discussion and/or debate is the natural progression in the intellectual decline of America (and the world) that began (or was greatly accelerated) with the advent of television.

Maybe you were right STK, and people are worse today, but we’ve only become worse through the developments of our forbearers.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
With a high overlap of people who believe the Earth isn't round.

I can’t even entertain that people, given the evidence, actually believe this.

A lay person can deduce the earth is not flat through simple observation.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The deconstruction and demonization of the education system played a big part. Religious and political authorities hate nothing more than an educated populace and we've reached the point where having learned knowledge is seen as elitism and any attempt to educate as indoctrination.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The issues with anti-vaxxers and many other conspiritards aren't that they don't have enough information.

The issue is that they have too much information and don't understand how to sort it all out.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
To be fair, education is babysitting for the working class, but I certainly don’t consider my education to have been worthless.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The issue with most anti-vaxxers is that they've been programmed for 30 years to not trust anything that comes from an authority that isn't their pastor or their talk radio/Fox News overlords.

They're not too stupid to process information. They're just selfish and think they know better than experts because that's what they've been told for decades by hucksters and conservative power brokers.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Yeah, wooosh. No surprise you hand wave that all away. Individual liberty is great when held by an adult who understands that sometimes acting for the common good is in their own lomg[sic] term interests anyway. When the person in question is not a petulant child more interested in contrarianism for its own sake in the abstract than in rational, pragmatic decision-making and viewing reality on its own terms.

But once again you seem unwilling to accept any amount of bad with the good.

You're not content to just consider them idiots and move along with your day, but have to malign the entire concept of personal freedom as a net negative because of the very existence of a viewpoint you find distasteful. No surprise, it has been a common blunder in the past and will no doubt be again.

Although I will admit that a problem in this discussion is what exactly are we talking about. Shit talking dum-dums for being dum-dums? Or utilizing the force of government to coerce compliance to the 'right' side of any argument.

One is fine with me, one is not.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Posting single image stills as a means of discussion and/or debate is the natural progression in the intellectual decline of America (and the world) that began (or was greatly accelerated) with the advent of television.

Maybe you were right STK, and people are worse today, but we’ve only become worse through the developments of our forbearers.
Political cartoons have been around since when?

Blaming your mom and grandad isn't an excuse. Be Best.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
You're not content to just consider them idiots and move along with your day, but have to malign the entire concept of personal freedom as a net negative
No, you're not reading. I'm not maligning the concept. I'm maligning the people like you who treat it as holy writ, without any sense of moderation or discrimination and not weighed down by any slight sense of social conscience whatsoever.

And considering people idiots, ho-hum, time to move on with my day, is fine when you live in Bumblefuck, Nowhere, population: 42. In that situation, sure, why not? Have a hoot of a good time role playing that you're living in a Cormac McCarthy novel. What fun! But that works less well and then finally not at all once you move toward population centers.

But once again you seem unwilling to accept any amount of bad with the good.
You're describing yourself in relation to any kind of shared social responsibility.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Or perhaps we’ve set down an inevitable path that we do not, can not, and will not have control of.
Willful ignorance plays such a large part in our problems today that I don't think this is the case. Healthcare, politics, ecology, economics, employment – all of these are majorly influenced by willful ignorance or splenetic forces, both at home and with those in power.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
The issue with most anti-vaxxers is that they've been programmed for 30 years to not trust anything that comes from an authority that isn't their pastor or their talk radio/Fox News overlords.

They're not too stupid to process information. They're just selfish and think they know better than experts because that's what they've been told for decades by hucksters and conservative power brokers.
No there's a real problem with critical thought and being able to discern reality, facts and research from what you want to hear or what fits your narrative.

Now with the proliferation of the internet anybody can be a huckster and make big money, no need for a sponsorship or an agenda other than a personal one to get fame and cash.

With these algorithms it's so easy to just live in your own echo chamber.
People also surround themselves with like minded people and are entertained with what they want to hear.

There's four things at play.

#1 Stupidity (to be able to tell a credible sources)
#2 Laziness (to research or care)
#3 Accepting (because it's what you want to hear)
#4 Reinforcement (by where you consume information and entertainment, who yourself with and the activities you do)

Stupidity plays a key role in all four followed by laziness and then apathy.
Stupidity>Laziness>Apathy

Lets make up a person, Jolynn.
She appears to be apathetic, her family for several generations has held certain views, her workplace largly has a matching culture and her friends also all pretty much have the same values.
Really she doesn't care about any of it, She doesn't want to make waves and just goes along with it all.

Her stupidity let her eat all that bullshit everyone fed her. In the big picture she may have been acting against her own self interest but she didn't know it because she's too stupid. Her laziness stopped her from seriously looking into these issues and apathy just enabled her.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's simple.

For a long time, people stayed in their lane. They knew what they knew and when they didn't they would defer to someone who did.

And now we see uneducated Americans who want to feel important, and facebook has given them their own virtual soapbox. Someone gives them a like and now that makes them an authority in their minds.

Boys, it's time to return to monke.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
You don't have to be stupid to be apathetic.
Who said you do?
Ok, I just did.
In my example I'm talking about people who play along but really don't care.
A totally apathetic person..I'm not talking about them, they don't fit into the discussion.
For this purpose they are invisible they don't play into it one way or the other.
You could argue they are stupid for not caring though or maybe it's a gamble - that's stupid as well
It's simple.

For a long time, people stayed in their lane. They knew what they knew and when they didn't they would defer to someone who did.

And now we see uneducated Americans who want to feel important, and facebook has given them their own virtual soapbox. Someone gives them a like and now that makes them an authority in their minds.

Boys, it's time to return to monke.
I dunno, people have also always seemed to have a favorite topic they love talking about.
The last few decades everybody has been an economist.
I've met tons of people long before Facebook that have a prize acceptance speech about how they are self made.
Now with the virus everyone has become a virologist.
We all like talking about what the role of government should be or if we even need one at all.
Everybody seemed to be an expert of Afghanistan a few months ago.

Social media has certainly emboldened them and made it acceptable but they've become obnoxious about it, stubborn even.

Guess it's equal opportunity, why not? You should have an equal representation in a workplace of your society.
But before them people who are unqualified and perform poorly cement their positions over them.
If its OK for them to have a job doing something they are not qualified to do it should be alright for them to talk about things they have no idea about.

Honestly though it's elitism when you say someone shouldn't have an opinion on something or openly share it with others. That's bad as well.
We all deserve to have opinions and openly share them with other people.
It's becomes dangerous when when a large enough percentage of the population can't tell the difference between fact and opinion though.
I suppose the best you can do is ask someone politely for qualifications, experience and to cite references.

Oh I need a:

#5 Fascism It further helps to reinforce concepts and talking points. If you don't totally agree with what we are saying today then you may be socially cast off into otherdom, experience a loss of freedoms or possibly violence.

I saw a youtube video semi recently that gave a simple definition for it; CONFORM OR ELSE.
The person argued that it has traits and groups of people are more likely to be susceptible to it like being right winged, corpratism, authoritarianism, nationalism, racism, but it could be missing one or all or them and still be Fascist. None of them totally define it. I found the comment section ironic,.

Was Franco a fascist?
Recent history is saying he wasn't.
He looks and sounds like one to me.
His army and party had it in their name for a minute.
He was alligned with Hitler and Mussolini.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Franco was missing a key component of fascism. But he talked like a duck and walked like a duck.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The real question is whether or not the Nazis were Fascist.