The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
When it first popped off I contemplated if I got it if I'd tell anyone. I saw numerous interviews of people who said they told everyone that they got quarantined or had to go to the hospitol and friends blocked them and they got death threats from strangers. WTF the matter with people?

Because of the way public policy has been shaped, people assume anyone that gets sick has been negligent in following the guidance. It is a stigmatized disease now, like getting AIDS in the 80s (or even still?).

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
With many people going back to work and the weather cooling off, places are beginning to skyrocket again, Illinois is no exception.

I wonder if this means I'll be going remote again here soon. I know my boss despises remote work and made us in his group come back to the office the second the owner allowed it back in June. Ironically, there's other employees here that haven't been here since March...how's that for a double standard?

Either way...with the holidays approaching, it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

I'll say that with what I do for a living, I've been keeping an eye on nursing homes and COVID cases in those facilities have exploded here in the past 4 weeks.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
With many people going back to work and the weather cooling off, places are beginning to skyrocket again, Illinois is no exception.

I wonder if this means I'll be going remote again here soon. I know my boss despises remote work and made us in his group come back to the office the second the owner allowed it back in June. Ironically, there's other employees here that haven't been here since March...how's that for a double standard?

Either way...with the holidays approaching, it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

I'll say that with what I do for a living, I've been keeping an eye on nursing homes and COVID cases in those facilities have exploded here in the past 4 weeks.

Sounds like your boss will be dead from covid soon.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Sounds like your boss will be dead from covid soon.

Eh...he's too stubborn for that. Coming down with it? Quite possibly. I'm surprised that no one where I work has come down with it yet, but give it time.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member

Take care of yourself, man. Does work know about your risk of complications?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Take care of yourself, man. Does work know about your risk of complications?

This is a super tough nut to crack. "Know" and "care" are two different things. I feel like I don't have a ton of room to bitch compared to our field guys. I come into an office each day and as much as I personally feel it is taking an unnecessary risk, our field guys are being forced to go perform work at nursing homes with confirmed cases. Just last week there was an internal fight between departments when a nursing home with 162 cases and 37 deaths was wanting us to go there and perform work. It was pretty nasty and personally, I know how I'd handle it, Id refuse to go.

I'll say this, despite claims of COVID not being as bad as reported, I can say that after being professionally involved with nursing homes for 15 years now, I've never seen anything rip through places like this. It doesn't carry a huge mortality rate, but the rate of infection is just nuts. Once it starts, it rips through like a wildfire. One of our large groups had almost zero cases in their facilities right up until about a month ago and then it took off. They have a local place that is a 150 bed unit...they currently have 92 cases and 6 deaths. I've never seen a nursing home with an over 50% infection rate of anything.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Because of the way public policy has been shaped, people assume anyone that gets sick has been negligent in following the guidance. It is a stigmatized disease now, like getting AIDS in the 80s (or even still?).

I felt that people around me judged me harshly after I got it. I was working a lot and I wore my mask most of the time but not every time. It's not like I was going out and partying and going to the grocery store without one on it just happened because of all the work I was putting in and taking off your mask to eat or to take a breather here and there.

People are just quick to judge with this one.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
In Arizona, mostly the desert regions, not only are they dealing with the cold and flu but apparently valley fever is running high and has a lot of symptoms as COVID-19. Valley fever comes from blowing dust and since there wasn't hardly any rain during the monsoon season, it doesn't take much wind to blow all the dust and dirt around and infect people. I've been sick the last few days and my supervisor told me to take the day off to get better. Fortunately I'm on the mend and it was indeed a mild cold and not COVID, which was my biggest fear.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
New employee tested positive and we're anticipating some others who were exposed outside of work to do so as well. Wisely, yesterday's potluck was cancelled and the big boss man ordered pizza for everybody instead (but, I still didn't go). Work is starting to test family members who are symptomatic too and will be quarantining employees if those come back positive. Boss lady is having a mandatory staff meeting on Tuesday as well, hopefully, we're not getting laid off.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Pfizer claims that their vaccine is 90% effective. Premarket futures up 1500+ points.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
You care more about your investment than if it actually works.

Is Wasabi really like that, though?

I sometimes find his brand of cynicism exhausting but overall, I think he's a good guy that believes in better life for everyone

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I’m hopeful of a vaccine. I’m tired of wearing a mask. Tired of being afraid of people coughing. And if the market thinks the vaccine will work, then hopefully they are right.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Yeah.

Accusing you of hoping to profit from a breakhrough in the pandemic seems far too dark a charge to drop on you.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
You care more about your investment than if it actually works.

My first thought was whether this would have made a difference in the election. My second thought was that maybe the Comey letter wasn't actually the game changer I always believed it to be.

That's probably because I'm still decompressing, but I don't know. The vaccine will pan out or it won't and it'll be a long time before we know.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
My first thought was whether this would have made a difference in the election. My second thought was that maybe the Comey letter wasn't actually the game changer I always believed it to be.

That's probably because I'm still decompressing, but I don't know. The vaccine will pan out or it won't and it'll be a long time before we know.

Some people have said that Pfizer delayed the announcement until today. Not sure why that would make a difference.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
There's no reason it *should* make a difference, but Pfizer felt like it had to make clear that "Operation Warp Speed" had nothing to do with the development.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
There's no reason it *should* make a difference, but Pfizer felt like it had to make clear that "Operation Warp Speed" had nothing to do with the development.

No collusion.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I just hope America makes and distributes the vaccine first. Over here there is already a vaccine out and people can sign up for a chance to try it. We can not allow Red China to save the world.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
My workplace already has a contract with CVS to supply the vaccine to all of us when it becomes available. On a happier note, the big boss also gave us all Jenny-O turkeys for Thanksgiving. I imagine they get a discount on such a large group purchase, but, good goddamn, the price tag on my 14 pounder was $17.95 and there is about 170 of us, so, that's a big chunk of change! Maybe they know something we don't and turkey stops coronavirus?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Pfizer’s vaccine is actually just turkey urine.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I just hope America makes and distributes the vaccine first. Over here there is already a vaccine out and people can sign up for a chance to try it. We can not allow Red China to save the world.

What's the uptake like on the vaccine?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What's the uptake like on the vaccine?

Oh man, who knows truly. I don't know anyone personally who's taken it, but I have read online lots of people signed up for it. But today Brazil said they're halting the Chinese vaccine without disclosing why, so seriously who knows.

People who think the vaccine should be above politics is dead wrong. We can not allow the vaccine to save the world to come from Communist China. That is imperative.