The New Fitness thread

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
What MilkMan said.

The book is pretty cool in that it has 10 steps for each move. Say the one-armed pull-up, step 1 is doing angled-vertical pulling of yourself to a doorframe...very easy and with a total beginner in mind. All of the moves start off that easy. The one-armed pull-up I am currently at step 9, which involves my non-pulling hand grabbing a towel slung over the same bar. Gradually you grab the towel lower and lower until you get to step 10, the full one-armed move.
Point is: the book is well written (simple) and has great instructions on how to progress. The title did put me off at first... but it is worth a shot, albeit not cheap!
I take it you read it, MilkMan X ? Your thoughts?

Yeah I thought it was a very good way to build up to a solid BW routine. My brother uses it as his primary routine right now. I am more about the Kettlebells so I am using Pavel's Routines from Return of the Kettlebell.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Cool guys, thanks for the info. Guess I'll make a note on finding that book at some point.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I am about 7 weeks out from my physique contest now! Here's some pics as of today and yesterday.

ZdcAtsMWPMKTUJVtAKScqKboAcdZjghlvuiU-610xh.jpg

amXCbyNAFopUQQriDQRCcjRbpqmxZEbBxEwh-610xh.jpg

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Friend took this candid pic today at the gym. I was aware I probably made freaky faces while lifting, but seeing it still is even funnier.

JQXnvXzkYUegjUxHRQmbnBZnLRYOrKOOcBhV-610xh.jpg
You look like John Kerry...

Read the last few pages.... the fitness thread seems to be mainly gym work.... no triathletes? Runners? Cyclists?

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Well Martial Artist here. Bare Knuckle Knockdown Karate is what I do. SO my training is for explosive strength and some endurance. Much like a boxer but with a bit more direct leg work.

Just finished a 12 week KB Clean and Press program and am much stronger than when I started. Onto the next phase.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
dyMpsAl.png

mCPpgav.jpg

Admit it... I'm fuckin SEXXY!

xROTx

PS. Spike is... well.. meh...

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
almost three weeks into my new program

noticing some pretty good results so far and am starting to get used to working towards failure and dealing with the fatigue afterwards

i'll throw up some shots at the three month mark as i'm expecting some great results by then

also found out about this stuff the other day:

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Perfect-Formula-60-Servings/dp/B000GWKA2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379705655&sr=8-1&keywords=perfect+food+garden+of+life

the amount of quality food goodness in that jar is insane

it tastes like shit but is a nutrient powerhouse

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
92113.jpg

took a quick pic today

it's only been a month so far but there's some notable results

i've noticed more fat loss and all-around definition gaining than i have size increase

i still pretty much weigh the same as when i started (174lb) but my daily caloric intake has shot up by a fair amount

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Someone call the vet, cuz that python's sick

Nice forearm. I have such trouble adding muscle there.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I can't view youtube here...:(

edit: see, joe, look how weak I am, I need to get back in the game

Last edited:

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Lookin' good everybody! Good luck Spike with the comp. - let us know how it goes/went.

Apart from Calisthenics and weight related exercises, I also love cycling. Had a shit bike though until now here in Turkey, but finally splashed out the other day to get a sweet hybrid/cross bike for my size! Going on a major cycle tomorrow in the surrounding mountains and valleys - it is gorgeous around here! Will post some pix soon.

Keep training hard ;)

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
KALI MUSCLE

lovin the GOOD CARBS !!!

So I checked out a few more vids of Kali Muscle, cause that clip was just too funny and insane.

I had never heard of him... but the dude sure is entertaining and does some impressive stuff (20 muscle-ups!).
A quick read-up, and apparently he did 11 yrs in San Quentin and does swear by 'Top Ramen'....

Last edited:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Anyone have any recommendations for exercises to strengthen the wrists that don't require weights? (Being that I don't own or have access to any for the time-being.)
I've noticed that my left wrist can feel a little jammed up days after a workout and wanted to see if I could improve their resiliency.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
knuckle or fingertip pushups

anything involving grip too

don't need equipment for that really

just grab onto something (the legs of a chair for example), extend your arms, and do a static hold

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
As I mentioned before, I got a new bicycle. Finally.
I really would have loved a top of the range Specialized or something....but after Sunday's ride I am quite happy with my bike.
Reason being that I am getting too old for this shit and that the bike I have is more than enough..... no need to spend crazy cash!

I am pretty fit, but 2 hrs into the ride I was starting to get tired, not having done more than 90 mins at a time for many years. I have never been into the crazy long ass exercise, like marathons or triathlons. So I guess I underestimated 80 kms through mountains and valleys. I was fecked by the end of it! I did it all... pulled through the whole 4 hours and was 'only' 5 mins off the leader.... but wow... I need practice!

Overall it was a great workout, cardio-wise and with ze pistons feeling good! I have been challenged by the group to another ride next week.

Here is a shot of le velo on one of the hills we went up (we went all country roads and ignored the highway you can see).

BIke.jpg

TheLizardKing

Crossed Swords Squire
Anyone work out in tights. I've been looking into what's the best out there. I've looked into all kinds from hotskins to insport to welovecolors to the Nike pro combat tights. I personally like the design on the Nike Pro Combat tights. But I'm looking at durability and the best quality. If anyone out there can give some feedback, I'd appreciate it. I use them to run as well when it's cold out.

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Still can't decide whether this is a serious question or not.

Personally I don't ever wear anything tight... even when riding my bike or swimming or surfing. Sure it 'slows' me down in certain conditions... but hey.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
only time i wear tight clothes is in the winter and that's only because my garage is my gym and heating there is nonexistent

i have some thermal under armour that gets the job done

but if it's nice outside? i'll just wear whatever

whatever usually means as little as possible...

unless it's cold or i am doing back squats and/or wearing my weight vest i almost always workout shirtless and in normal gym shorts

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Read the last few pages.... the fitness thread seems to be mainly gym work.... no triathletes? Runners? Cyclists?

I'm devoted to cycling...here's my curent road setup, '12 Specialized Tarmac 105 with a few upgrades:

1150428_10201924250415689_966692538_n_zps7f59f817.jpg

Me as of this summer...currently in the high 160's/low 170's in weight. Started the journey back in late 2011 at over 265 lbs (stopped counting at that point):

aug2013_zpse7100e24.jpg

Here I am riding the "mini van" comfort bike last month. Did a "Fred challenge" 25 mile ride with my wife...

524604_10202245002754297_1039558087_n_zps2f6584ed.jpg

About my cycling, I'm slowly progressing. I began in June 2012 and since then (15 months?) I've managed around 2000 or so miles on the saddle. Not exactly where I'd like to be miles wise but a crap fall last year coupled to one of the worst springs I've ever been through (rain and COLD) mean that I've basically been riding 6 or so months outdoors. The rest of the time has been spent on the trainer.

Either way...my long for the season has been 76 miles, I'm working towards my first century (100 miles) next season. I've completed many 100K rides this year and managed some pretty strong #'s on Strava (ride mapping ap). One of my achievements is a 5 miles stretch local TT guys ride. I took it a few weeks ago and managed an average of 24 mph over the stretch (and no, it's not downhill). That put me in 4th place out of 250 people. Another is a 6% grade climb that is 1.1 miles in length that I managed 18mph average up it...put me in 8th place out of 650 riders.

Either way...I've decided to focus on riding so I'm joining a gym this winter to do some strength training on ye olde cycling specific muscles. I'll also be hitting the indoor trainer as well unfortunately.

So...to answer your question...there is a cyclist here on the site...