Tupac or Nas?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
ding ding winner winner, chicken dinner!

My top whatever (in no order):

2pac
Nas
Biggie
Q-Tip (Fife is good too, but not as good)
Ghostface Killah
Raekwon
Masta Ace (Disposable Arts is a masterpiece ... and probably his peak)
Eminem
Kanye West (I loved My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, don't hate me, though as an MC he's usually just average)
Rakim
Ice Cube (A bit on the old school, but he did a lot of writing and had a solid solo career)
Snoop Dogg (classic Snoop was good, I think people forgot since he's a funny guy these days)
Fat Lip from Pharcyde (though I didn't get into his solo stuff as much)

Probably forgot some, but old school type rappers still hold a special place in heart for introducing me to rap when my older cousin who lived in 7 Mile Highland Park (the Chaldean immigrant ghetto back in the day) was dubbing tapes for me and my brother:

NWA w/ Eazy-E
Run DMC
LL Cool J
Melle Mel (fuck Grandmaster Flash)
Kool G Rap
CL Smooth
Guru

I probably forgot some, eat a dick and let me know.
No K-Dot? He's squarely in the same demographic as shit rappers like Drake, the many mumble rappers, etc, but he's genuinely talented and frequently makes stunning stuff. I think history will be kind to him.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Also shout outs to

Antipop Consortium
Mood, Mission Control
Anybody DJ Krush featured

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Also shout outs to

Antipop Consortium
Mood, Mission Control
Anybody DJ Krush featured

Lif/CL Smooth/Malik B & Black Thought, holy smokes-the Krush jawns just before the turn of the century...HEATERS.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Some very honorable mentions
Immortal Technique
Tech9
Big Boi/Andre3000
Big Pun
Ludacris (I think he is pretty underated amongst hip hop fans, but back then he was slick)
Members of Black Sheep
Members of Lords of the Underground
Fukken Biz Markie

Edit:
Is this not beautiful?

If you want to find a modern Old Dirty, check out Danny Brown, his stuff is pretty 'dope'

Edit2: Rick still fucking Slick

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Some very honorable mentions
Immortal Technique
Tech9
Big Boi/Andre3000
Big Pun
Ludacris (I think he is pretty underated amongst hip hop fans, but back then he was slick)
Members of Black Sheep
Members of Lords of the Underground
Fukken Biz Markie

De La Soul? They're still making albums. I'm not sure if Prince Paul is involved but still that's some crazy staying power for old rappers.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
If I have to choose then NAS. I remember seeing If I Ruled The World music video and I was like that kid has things lockdown. 2Pac and Dre with California love looked like some old guys back then :D
Also that eastcost - westcost battle was before I started to listen to rap.
My first rap record thou was 2Pac Me against the world cassette which is still my favorite rap album. Lost Tapes is favorite Nas record.
Last two records from Nas has not been that good thou and that Echo song from Swizz Beatz album is better than any songs on those records.
Saw Nas live couple years ago :)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
De La Soul? They're still making albums. I'm not sure if Prince Paul is involved but still that's some crazy staying power for old rappers.

I just got Prince Pauls Politics of the Business where Dave Chappell does all of the skits. It's fucking awesome. Amazons music streaming has Lovage and the Handsome Boy Modeling school albums.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Lif/CL Smooth/Malik B & Black Thought, holy smokes-the Krush jawns just before the turn of the century...HEATERS.

It's funny I never would have known about Krush as early as I did just because Futura 2000 was doing his cove art. I was at Wax Trax in Denver and was like holy shit if he's doing the covers this shit must be hot AF. That was 95 and I bought Meiso right then. Fucking changed my life.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
2Pac, if only for his brief Digital Underground membership. Nas is arguably better, but too grave for my taste.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Digital Underground

lWPdJ.jpg

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
New Ghostface is rediculoid.

Like, Supreme Clientele tier.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Man, in a fit of insanity, I forgot to include Mobb Deep. Hell on Earth was on repeat for me in 96/97. Don't get me wrong, The Infamous was a landmark album, but Hell on Earth will always be my favorite Mobb Deep album.

"Drop a Gem on 'em" while not on the level of "Hit'em up" was still a great (though untimely) response.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Fuck, I forgot about Redman. His first 3 albums are dope as fuck.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Fuck, I forgot about Redman. His first 3 albums are dope as fuck.

I liked his albums, especially the stuff he did with Method Man. I just don't think I would put him on my favorites list.