Tupac or Nas?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
What about Warren G & Nate Dogg? My summer basketball team when i was a kid was called Regulators...We always played the song Regulate, right before the match...Regulators mount up! Got the ghetto crowd hyped!

Nah Better

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Biggie & Pac (and their beef) unjustly get the lion’s share of attention of a west coast/east coast paradigm.

The greatest synergy of west coast/east coast was Masters of Illusion. I’d put Motion Man and Kool Keith up against 98% of the rappers mentioned in this thread, and just watch the smoke.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The greatest synergy of west coast/east coast was Masters of Illusion. I’d put Motion Man and Kool Keith up against 98% of the rappers mentioned in this thread, and just watch the smoke.

This man speaks the truth. Goddamn masterpiece.

Wish I still had my Analog Bros. CD.

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. Both are good, but it really depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Might not be on most people's top 5 list but for being a pure infectious hip hop energy powerhouse I would have to put KRS1 in mine.
My list would be of favourite rappers rather than best. Not qualified to make such a list. Even so, so much good wholesome hip hop over the years. Will never get old

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Boots Riley, from The Coup
Motion Man
Kool Keith
GM/MF Grimm
Rakim
Big L
Kool G Rap
Big Daddy Kane
Del The Funkee Homosapien
Mr. Lif
Mikey D’Struction
Casual
ExtraProlific

*honorable mention to Hogaan the Scientist, & Drasar Monumental.

I love hip hop too much to possibly make a five person list. A bakers dozen, from me.

*KRS off of my list, on the strenth of him defending Afrika Bambatta. KRS was an amazing rapper in his day-utter garbage of a human being.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

*KRS off of my list, on the strenth of him defending Afrika Bambatta. KRS was an amazing rapper in his day-utter garbage of a human being.

I hadn't heard about this shit.
Grimey. But got to keep thing seperated, as much as possible. In my opinion. I still think what he done for hip hop, in hip hop, warrants he gets a ton of respect

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Done!

-Dailon
-Dailon
-Dailon
-Dailon
-Dailon

https://youtu.be/Jawx1Wut0GE

ding ding winner winner, chicken dinner!

My top whatever (in no order):

2pac
Nas
Biggie
Q-Tip (Fife is good too, but not as good)
Ghostface Killah
Raekwon
Masta Ace (Disposable Arts is a masterpiece ... and probably his peak)
Eminem
Kanye West (I loved My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, don't hate me, though as an MC he's usually just average)
Rakim
Ice Cube (A bit on the old school, but he did a lot of writing and had a solid solo career)
Snoop Dogg (classic Snoop was good, I think people forgot since he's a funny guy these days)
Fat Lip from Pharcyde (though I didn't get into his solo stuff as much)

Probably forgot some, but old school type rappers still hold a special place in heart for introducing me to rap when my older cousin who lived in 7 Mile Highland Park (the Chaldean immigrant ghetto back in the day) was dubbing tapes for me and my brother:

NWA w/ Eazy-E
Run DMC
LL Cool J
Melle Mel (fuck Grandmaster Flash)
Kool G Rap
CL Smooth
Guru

I probably forgot some, eat a dick and let me know.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Yo, Disposable Arts is iiiiiiillllllllll!

‘No Regrets’ is one of the most lovingly crafted songs of the modern era-hip hop, or otherwise.

So much good stuff on your list!

Old NWA & Too Short tapes, FTW!!

Have you peeped Ace’s record w/ all DOOM beats? Son of Yvonne will get you right in the feels.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Can we get some DJ Quik up in this motherfucker

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
My rap knowledge is limited but my favorites are Ice Cube and Warren G.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Personally I appreciate flare and style over abilities and bars. Not that I'm not impressed with the gimnastics involved but it's still a form of singing so Cypress Hill where amazing to me but more with regards to the angle they where coming from than any particular abilities. Same with a lot of the mid 90s stuff which I love: Das EFX (people dont take them seriously, but they where amazing), Bone Thugs, ODB, and all the mellow. Trippy Hippie stuff (though imo there was a lot of pretentious crap in that area like Fugees early Black Eyed Pees, and all that jazz infused junk).

Been listening to early southern rap these days and there are some bizarre and really great things out there.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Das EFX is the gospel truth. The beat selection/production, just as hype as the rhymes.