What coffee maker do you use? Also brewed coffee vs. coffee concentrates?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I think the Breville Oracle was about $2400 when we bought it. The Breville Nespresso was about $200. I honestly flipped out when my wife wanted to buy the Espresso machine. Its been worth it though and we have had it for a long time now and is working just as good as we first bought it.

Im not a big fan of the bitter taste, im more of the frap type. I like them sweet. i think my goto is white chocolate mocha. I also like frap w/ some alcohol liquor (bailey irish cream/Kahlua)

View attachment 67654

I'm really bad at trying to collect alcohol.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The last all-in-one automaker we had was a mid-range machine from Saeco. Coffee was good but cleaning and decalcification was annoying. You could tell that some IT folks made the OS because it was ridiculously complicated. All other machines I had had simple cleaning programs where you put some detergent into the water tank, start the program and put a large cup under the hot steam outlet, and then it did its thing and that was that.

Not so with the Saeco, it constantly required to push some buttons, change the water, etc. Which means that if you left the program alone it would get stuck at one point. Decalcification was even less fun. One day I had enough and threw it out in the garden when I wanted to make coffee but miss Saeco insisted on getting cleaned.

So I sad fuck it and went back to good old macchinetta. Ours is made of stainless steel so if you treat it right and keep it clean, it will last a lifetime and makes a really good coffee or mocca.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The only alcohol that has lasted more than 24 hours in my house is a half bottle of brandy I have stashed under my bed for I don't even know what situation, some kind of emergency I guess.
I could imagine a moment where you've called the night a little early, gone to bed and realised you need a lil something something. It's alright I understand.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I could imagine a moment where you've called the night a little early, gone to bed and realised you need a lil something something. It's alright I understand.
Basically, yes, exactly this.

I sometimes think to myself what if I died unexpectedly and my missus found it and thought what the fuck was wrong with that guy. But then I think she would probably already have opened my laptop and read my posts on here, so the booze would be the least of the fond-memory-destroying moments.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I dont think I would have the patience for an espresso machine after using a Super Automatic. It's not the same quality, but it's a reasonable trade off for me.

Some of the machines are as fast and simple as a Kurig.

One button press, done.

The Jura for example-has a built in grinder and is full auto froth. No bouncing the steel milk holder around a frothing pole.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Some of the machines are as fast and simple as a Kurig.

One button press, done.

The Jura for example-has a built in grinder and is full auto froth. No bouncing the steel milk holder around a frothing pole.

Yes. you are describing a Super Automatic, which is what I have.

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
I spend too much time thinking about coffee beans and grinds. I'm lucky to have five different speciality roasters' retail units within about a 15 minute walk from my house, so I get to try a lot of different stuff. This is my domestic machine, but I use an Aeropress when I'm at work. Handgrinding is a good excuse to get away from the desk for five minutes. I got this one about six years ago, probably about £1,200 but I don't really remember. I got it because my old Gaggia Classic finally gave up after many years of excellent service. I use a Eureka grinder at home, but have a new one in the post.

crono_mozzafiato_front_3_4.jpg

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Christ I just realized I drink coffee at restaurants to get the fuck outside the house.
That's not a bad thing. I have a weekly appointment that I use as an excuse to get out of the house, but I could easily do it virtually.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I can't have a night cap right before bed. The heartburn while laying down is awful at this point. And I take a Prilosec every evening.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I can't have a night cap right before bed. The heartburn while laying down is awful at this point. And I take a Prilosec every evening.
I gotta admit a drink right before bed is rarely a good thing.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I only use a French Press. Cheap, easy to use, takes up almost zero space, and coffee is very smooth when made in one. It's the only way I can drink coffee black.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
ii dont fuck with the hotsi french prince holy shit

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I don't mess with a french press because of health concerns.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
ummmm ... too much caffeine?
No. Coffee preparation without a filter has been shown to raise LDL cholesterol. It's probably not a huge concern at small levels, but since I'm not a French press fan anyway, why bother.