Ys: Monstrum Nox - Anyone Else Playing?

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Picked up the new Ys game and dropped a few hours into it last night. Awesome so far. I love the darker, gothic feel to the city of Balduq and the awesome costume designs of the Monstrums.

The dialog is also top-notch, with a self-awareness to it that brings some levity even in the most dire of circumstances.

I wouldn't say the gameplay tempo or mechanics are much different than 8 or Celceta, but they feel a bit more refined here. Music is amazing as usual - what Falcom game doesn't have an amazing soundtrack?

Anyone else playing? I totally forgot about this game, and saw that the PS4 version dropped on Tuesday so I went ahead and picked it up. After the debacle that was Ys 8 on PC, I decided to stick to console for new releases.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I still haven't played IV and V on the SNES.

What number are we at now?

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
9. 1-4 have been remade to some degree over the years, but 5 on the SNES is still relegated to the super fami and has never been revisited. The modern Memories of Celceta (came out of Vita, PS4, and PC) is the remake of 4. It's really great if you want to dive into it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I ordered it, but it will be a bit before I play it. I'm only up to Celceta in my Ys playing.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I didn't even know it dropped already, need to pick it up quick as the art style appealed to me a lot

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
9. 1-4 have been remade to some degree over the years, but 5 on the SNES is still relegated to the super fami and has never been revisited. The modern Memories of Celceta (came out of Vita, PS4, and PC) is the remake of 4. It's really great if you want to dive into it.

But it's not the 4 from PC CD, right? I still have to play the super fami ver of 4 actually. I think I'll get around it. I have an everdrive.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
But it's not the 4 from PC CD, right? I still have to play the super fami ver of 4 actually. I think I'll get around it. I have an everdrive.

Celceta (modern) is considered the canonical Ys 4 as it's the only one actually developed by Falcom - the other two were by Hudson (PCE - Dawn of Ys) and Tonkin House (SFC - Mask of the Sun).

I've played them all out of number order, but each numbered entry happens at different points in Adol's timeline, so there isn't a clear path from A - Z following the numbered order. Celceta is actually the third canonical game despite being the 4th numbered. Ys 7 directly precedes Ys 9, etc.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I just started playing Celceta on PS4. So far it's been really fun. Hopefully the game isn't drawn out to 40 hours to finish. This game feels like it should be 20, based on the gameplay loop so far.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Celceta (modern) is considered the canonical Ys 4 as it's the only one actually developed by Falcom - the other two were by Hudson (PCE - Dawn of Ys) and Tonkin House (SFC - Mask of the Sun).

I've played them all out of number order, but each numbered entry happens at different points in Adol's timeline, so there isn't a clear path from A - Z following the numbered order. Celceta is actually the third canonical game despite being the 4th numbered. Ys 7 directly precedes Ys 9, etc.

I thought 4 was the best of the PC Engine Ys game (music is better with the first 3 though, imo). I think I'll try Celceta after the SF ver.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Got it on Saturday. Put it in just to start it up and I ended up putting over two hours into it. Plays great and the story's grabbing me much quicker than in Lacrimosa of Dana. Between that and Atelier Ryza 2, I can't remember the last time two JRPGs came out one after another and both sucked me right in.