Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Rey is Luke's daughter. 100%, no doubt about it.

Discuss?

If that's true, then I really hope the Mother is that crazy young woman from the X-Files episode that thought she had sex with Luke Skywalker because a shapeshifting dude was going around screwing and impregnating every woman in town by pretending to be their husbands and shit (and I think all the babies had tails too). That dude had heaven on earth until Mulder and Scully fucked it all up! :D

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Ohhh I thought you had seen that from a leak.

I think Driver / Ren is fantastic. He’s a spoiled brat. I think him being a whiny bitch is the whole point. That’s like complaining that Geoffrey is an annoying brat.

Egg fucking sactly
FakeX gets it.
Driver's angst and and rage is almost 3D. The dude is acting in an ocean of cardboard cutouts.
Even Samuel L Jackson wasn't "acting" when he did his part back then, just went through the motions and cashed his check.
Driver makes the films slightly more watchable. His mask is pretty great more so because he seems to be trying so hard. And he really does play with some dark emotions, the lack of humanity in the killing of his own father (which as a scene was rather silly), I thought was pretty great, nihilistic in a way seldom seen in this franchise. What was dark about it was the acting rather than the murder.

Anyway fuck Star Wars

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I doubt Rey is Luke's daughter, that wouldnt make sense.

There has always been a balance in all the star wars. Since Kylo is Leia son it would make more sense that Rey is the Emperor's daughter.

Since Luke is dead, that means they need to bring balance back by killing the emperor since he never died apparently.

So who is left? Kylo who is suppose to be good but turn bad and Rey who is suppose to be bad turned good...Bringing balance.

l

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I doubt Rey is Luke's daughter, that wouldnt make sense.

There has always been a balance in all the star wars. Since Kylo is Leia son it would make more sense that Rey is the Emperor's daughter.

Since Luke is dead, that means they need to bring balance back by killing the emperor since he never died apparently.

So who is left? Kylo who is suppose to be good but turn bad and Rey who is suppose to be bad turned good...Bringing balance.

l

Think about one very important heirloom in the movies. Anakin's light saber. It's passed from Obi Wan to Luke, who loses it in the fight with Vader. He rebuilds his own, but then it somehow shows up in the Force Awakens and is literally calling to Rey. When she touches it, it shows her a ton of shit - about her family - Luke's family.
We'll attribute the saber finding its way from Bespin to Rey's hands to the Force because why not. Either way, it somehow found its way back to it's family and it's rightful inheritor - Rey. Passed from father to son to daughter.

Arguably, Rey is the main character of the new trilogy. The 7th movie is called The Force Awakens, 8th is The Last Jedi and the 9th is called Rise of Skywalker. In Last Jedi, Rey says "something was inside me the whole time, and now it's awake." Shes talking about the Force... Awakening. This is alluding to the 7th title.

In TLJ, Luke says he won't be the last Jedi, in this case inferring that Rey will be the Last Jedi.

Also the last 8 movies have all been about one family - The Skywalkers. So taking all of this together, it clearly points to The Rise of Skywalker essentially being the Rise of Rey. Why? She's a Skywalker. More specifically Luke Skywalker's kid.

The OT movies are about Luke Skywalker. The Prequel Trilogy is about Anakin Skywalker. The Sequel Trilogy is about Rey. Rey Skywalker.

Also the one thing that is constant about Skywalkers is that they are absolutely proficient in the Force. They may be idiots, or turn to the Dark Side, but they are proficient Force users and attuned to it like motherfuckers. That's a hard core maguffin, but it is just a fact for the movie's universe. Rey just happens to be a strong force user right out the gate.

A friend made the argument that she could even be Leia's kid and Kylo's sister. I mean, sure, maybe?

But are you gonna tell me that a woman who for two movies has been pining and hoping that her lost idiot sheep of a son will return to the light, and who pushed a watermelon out her vagerj isn't gonna be like "I wonder where my daughter went..." Especially a Force Sensitive Skywalker? And bumping into her kid later in life, both being Force Sensitives, she's not gonna recognize her own kid? Not to mention Han wondering where his daughter ever went. No way. She's Luke's kid.

And Kylo Ren talking trash about her parents being trash from nowhere? You're gonna trust what some whiny daddy-issues Vader wanna be says?

As far as people saying it's Palpatine's kid, now THAT I dont see any evidence of at all. It it truly wouldn't make any sense. Maybe he makes her turn like he did Anakin and tried with Luke? But no way is she his kid or even Grandkid. I don't see anything that points to that being the case.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
boy you are in for a rude awakening

it's all being made up as it goes along anyway

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
boy you are in for a rude awakening

it's all being made up as it goes along anyway

If you're referring to the Sheev thing and if it's from a leaked script or whatever, I can tell you know that the fandom will not be happy. I wont either, but mainly because that's just hack writing.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
what happened with this trilogy was a train wreck, it's basically all fanfic. JJ was supposed to set it up, then Disney gave RJ unlimited POWAHHH that didn't really advance the plot much, now Disney was desperate and went back to JJ who just pulled it all out of his ass.

As much as I dislike or feel indifferent to the Marvel movies, one thing I respect is how they have a solid plan (the phases) for their movies where the characters are and how everything fits in in the grand scheme of things.

Just keep your hopes at 0 and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised with Rise.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Oh believe me I'm not defending the writing on this trilogy one iota. Please don't misunderstand that. Force Awakens was meh, even if it was just ANH all over again, and Last Jedi was terrible. It apparently gets worse with each viewing, too. I just mean in the grand scheme of things, with the shit-plot we ended up with with the Sequel Trilogy, it's logical that Rey is his kid.

If they go out into left field and say she's Palpersauce's kid or whatever it will just coincide with the terrible writing thus far.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
what happened with this trilogy was a train wreck, it's basically all fanfic.

Honestly, I don't think its even close to fanfic...fanfic would probably have been much, MUCH better. Hell...the Dark Empire Trilogy would have made for much better movies than the shit we got.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Oh believe me I'm not defending the writing on this trilogy one iota. Please don't misunderstand that. Force Awakens was meh, even if it was just ANH all over again, and Last Jedi was terrible. It apparently gets worse with each viewing, too. I just mean in the grand scheme of things, with the shit-plot we ended up with with the Sequel Trilogy, it's logical that Rey is his kid.

If they go out into left field and say she's Palpersauce's kid or whatever it will just coincide with the terrible writing thus far.

You never know. But I feel that they moved away from the question of Rey's heritage. If they had kept that tension all through viii with regards to this then I would have given the film more props and had something to look forward to as of ix.
But no
They pretty much stunted Rey's growth. All we have is wooden acting and a really irritating dumb English accent. Even if the revelation that she is the child of two losers where to be fake news for plot twist purposes, it deflated the suspense so that it really doesn't matter if she is whoever's daughter. Which is a shame because this and the tension between her and Kilo's character was the crux of it all. What a wasted opportunity.
I like what Lonesage sais, they're making it up as they go along. In that sense it is pure fanfic .

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
To be fair, they were just 'making it up as they went along' with Empire and Jedi. Things like the Luke/Leia kiss. Vader being anything other than a big bad guy with a personal connection to Obi-Wan.

Hell, none of what Obi-Wan says about Luke's father meshes with what happens in the prequels either.

The problem isn't that they are making it up as they go, its that what they're making up sucks.

Force Awakens has gotten repeatedly duller for me on each rewatch (3 times now). While derivative, at least JJ sets up a lot of interesting plot stuff. I don't know the story behind when or whether he knew he would not be back for Ep 8 and whether or not after the clusterfuck that it became if Disney basically had to beg and drop a bag of money at his feet to get JJ back and salvage 9 as best they could.

Johnson took the setups that Abrams gave him and through the magic of subverted expectations, made them less than nothing. Going the opposite direction is not the same as dispatching with them entirely.

I'm thinking of subjecting myself to Last Jedi again this weekend, I don't imagine it getting any better.

I expect 9 to have to twist itself in knots with the content that came before just to get a semblance of satisfaction out of a finale.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I wont either, but mainly because that's just hack writing.

It's like you haven't been paying attention the last twenty years.

Search your feelings... you know it to be true.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Disney bought the label but they didn't want the baggage that goes along with the legacy. That's why they torched the Expanded Universe. Which, fine, okay, whatever. I was never that attached to it myself.

But I've watched The Mandalorian and played a bit of Jedi Fallen Order and all I can think to myself is:

Why didn't they just start with these things?

Touching the Skywalker Saga, and thinking they could 'conclude' those stories when they were already done with RotJ, was their biggest mistake. I was initially lukewarm on The Force Awakens before realizing that they picked the wrong character to be the hero (it should have been Finn).

Then Rogue One was just so fucking boring that I went from hating the Vader fanservice to thinking it's the only thing worth a damn in the entire film.

Then The Last Jedi was franchise cancer. Firmly establishes that the 'Disney Trilogy' should be roundly ignored.

Ironically, Solo is the most Star Wars of any of the Disney era films, and it was pretty underwhelming, too. Also, I don't care that Darth Maul shows up in the TV shows. His ass should never appear in the movies after Episode One.

Telling stories only barely tangentially related to the Skywalker Saga, or telling stories that have nothing to do with Skywalkers, was what they should have been done from the start.

Does anyone care about these new characters outside of Kylo Ren (who I agree is the only interesting character in any of this new shit), anyway? Boyega recently said that there is no 'trio' association with these three. They are just three boring characters that had all of their potential wasted with The Last Jedi. Even though Han, Luke and Leia weren't always together in the classic trilogy and Anakin and Obi-Wan weren't always together in the prequels, we rarely imagine them not being together or not somehow being connected by a bond that is endearing to see.

I think that Ewan MacGregor coming back for Obi-Wan is fantastic. He was really the best thing to come out of the prequels, maybe one of the only good things to come out of it. I'm still not buying Disney+ to watch it. After The Last Jedi and my growiing realization that the MCU movies are utterly banal and wastes of everyone's time, I'm not really going out of my way to give the Mouse a monthly dose of my paper.

I find it interesting examining why Star Wars is dead than I do about Star Wars itself now. Has any franchise ever risen so high and then willingly dove off a cliff like this? I thought the prequel era was bad, but I'd take prequels for years before any more of this Disney trilogy detritus.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
To be fair, they were just 'making it up as they went along' with Empire and Jedi. Things like the Luke/Leia kiss. Vader being anything other than a big bad guy with a personal connection to Obi-Wan.

Hell, none of what Obi-Wan says about Luke's father meshes with what happens in the prequels either.

The problem isn't that they are making it up as they go, its that what they're making up sucks.

Force Awakens has gotten repeatedly duller for me on each rewatch (3 times now). While derivative, at least JJ sets up a lot of interesting plot stuff. I don't know the story behind when or whether he knew he would not be back for Ep 8 and whether or not after the clusterfuck that it became if Disney basically had to beg and drop a bag of money at his feet to get JJ back and salvage 9 as best they could.

Johnson took the setups that Abrams gave him and through the magic of subverted expectations, made them less than nothing. Going the opposite direction is not the same as dispatching with them entirely.

I'm thinking of subjecting myself to Last Jedi again this weekend, I don't imagine it getting any better.

I expect 9 to have to twist itself in knots with the content that came before just to get a semblance of satisfaction out of a finale.

Darth Vader was always meant as Luke's dad. Dark Father.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

Nah Lith. And I don't agree that they have always made it up as they went along. There are various reasons why this is so, but mostly it comes down to 4, 5, and 6
being the creation of an inspired mind or set of minds whereas 7, 8, and 9 are made up by fans of the saga, pushing so hard for breath out of the corpse that it becomes Frankenstein's monster. Dead flesh. There is no pulse here

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Nah Lith. And I don't agree that they have always made it up as they went along. There are various reasons why this is so, but mostly it comes down to 4, 5, and 6
being the creation of an inspired mind or set of minds whereas 7, 8, and 9 are made up by fans of the saga, pushing so hard for breath out of the corpse that it becomes Frankenstein's monster. Dead flesh. There is no pulse here

You're deluding yourself.

I can buy that Jedi was conceived with at least some concepts put in place from Empire, but there is absolutely no reason to think that main elements of Empire were set up by Star Wars. Star Wars was conceived as a one-off and all of the bullshit that Lucas had 9 episodes sketched out from the start is just retroactive bluster. Again, Vader is just the bad guy in Star Wars, Tarkin's henchman. This isn't to damn the movies, they're fine. Making things up as you go is something all authors do. It is about your ability to effectively set things up to make it look like something you planned all along that separates the good from the bad.

Also, 7,8,9 are not from fans of the saga, they're from a trillion dollar entertainment monolith. They've been researched and focus grouped into oblivion to maximize international appeal, merchandising, and future theme park tie-ins. The material put to screen is nearly irrelevant to the product.

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
Youtube Lucas Return of the Jedi original ending.

If true I'm glad it didn't end any of those other ways, as a 8 year old or whatever it would have ruined the movies for me. I'm sure word would have gotten out before release and I wouldn't have gotten to see it.

Anyways Y'all take this shit too seriously.
Seems like going into this we all have lowered expectations and I think that's a good thing.

Really how ridiculous is the main premise of this series?
Basically there's good and evil white and black. Not really any grey.

If you make a bad decision or feel emotion you'll turn evil and there's no redemption for you (except Anakin who murdered little kids and galaxies)

If you dissect the series you'll find tons of examples of how nothing is that simple.

Then both good and evil are supposed to largely remain abstinent. That'll just turn everybody into pervs who can't carry on the traditions.

Oh well, anybody who wants to send me a link to the screener LMK... k thxs

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
@Lithy

You make some fair points but as per usual the pomposity wafts out of you and it clouds my capacity for reason to the point that I don't really care what you're trying to say in the first place.
I'm not anymore deluded than you are.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Making it all up on the fly or no, the complete product of IV-VI was far better than I-III and VII-IX.

This came up during our "cool down" period in class a while back. We all began talking about the films. I asked them to tell me plot points of the films, starting with the first, second, and now third trilogy.

The original has a rather solid (be it simple) overall plot. There's developed primary characters, some secondary, and a nice amount of support characters as well as a bad guy antagonist.

Funny enough, the second trilogy has a much deeper plot...be it in a flawed package. Like IV-VI, there's developed characters and a deep over plot.

Now...VII and VIII? The plot points of the two films take up a few sentences. There's just so little to run with there, they're that empty.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
C'mon. Lucas had no idea what he was doing plot-wise. This isn't even debatable.