Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Solo was fun to watch. Hard for it to work in theaters so soon after the stink of 8

It wasn't as offensively stupid as TLJ. It was above ok. Ehrenreich was kinda ok but maybe a touch bland and other than being kinda cute and I've seen her tits, does Emilia Clark seem to play this empty eyed boring girl in everything but maybe Game of Thrones?

The fan service is a bit tiresome. Like, I get that we have to hit some beats on an 'origin story' for Han. Win the Falcon, meet Chewie, Han's dice, Kessel Run, I'm sure I'm leaving out half a dozen more. It was almost too many at once. The double cross the double cross plot never makes any sense in any movie. The Han shoots first bit was ok. I always like Woody Harrelson. The droid was stupid.

So yeah, I thought it was ok.

Except that Maul is alive...no one's ever really gone...ugh.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
It wasn't as offensively stupid as TLJ. It was above ok. Ehrenreich was kinda ok but maybe a touch bland and other than being kinda cute and I've seen her tits, does Emilia Clark seem to play this empty eyed boring girl in everything but maybe Game of Thrones?

The fan service is a bit tiresome. Like, I get that we have to hit some beats on an 'origin story' for Han. Win the Falcon, meet Chewie, Han's dice, Kessel Run, I'm sure I'm leaving out half a dozen more. It was almost too many at once. The double cross the double cross plot never makes any sense in any movie. The Han shoots first bit was ok. I always like Woody Harrelson. The droid was stupid.

So yeah, I thought it was ok.

Except that Maul is alive...no one's ever really gone...ugh.
Maul being alive was fun to watch but, since I didn't see the animated series, I wasn't aware that it happened. I was more "what the hell?" than anything. Death is not consequential in any star wars z with people coming back, people guiding others with the force, etc.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I like Solo and Rogue One. There were some silly things in Rogue One, but you learn to look past those after the prequels.

I also watched those VHS tapes every night for years. I had a 13" VCR combo TV, and i just cycled the tapes. I still have them.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
A retarded nervous angel

If you watch enough of their stuff, you don't notice it after a while and at some point, it becomes endearing.

TV celebrity Rich Evans is a damned national treasure.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Solo was fun to watch. Hard for it to work in theaters so soon after the stink of 8

I think a few things caused it to flop so bad (ie general population is retarded).

1) It was released FIVE MONTHS after the polarizing Episode 8. Disney probably felt this will work fine because it works great for Marvel - BUT...

2) They had announced working on TV shows prior to Solo being released

3) the main actor looks FUCKING NOTHING like Harrison Ford

4) You combine those together and a lot of your potential audience is going to think THIS is the TV series adaption that they heard was being worked on. Remember the ZombieLand TV series where they had kinda-Emma-Stone along side Looks-Like-Woody-Harrelson-if-you-squint? Or the various other movie to TV series adaptions that did this?

At the time I worked with a lot of normies, along with the general public. The kind of people who are the reason sequels don’t have numbers anymore (logic being for example: If they can’t realize they didn’t see the 5th Transformers movie, but saw the first 4 - they’ll probably see the 6th. Same people who see most of the Marvel films, but aren’t sure if they’ve seen all of them).

And I met a LOT of people who thought it was a TV show/internet thing/streaming series.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I think a few things caused it to flop so bad (ie general population is retarded)..

So you're jumping on the bandwagon of "Let's blame the audience" for a movie's failure to connect. Maybe Kathleen Kennedy and Paul Feig will let you ride up in the front seat with them.

Here's an idea that may not have occurred to you: Nobody wanted this. Studios won't learn, and inevitably, a Raiders of the Lost Ark movie series will eventually be rebooted with some younger actor replacing Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. And nobody will want that, either.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
So you're jumping on the bandwagon of "Let's blame the audience" for a movie's failure to connect. Maybe Kathleen Kennedy and Paul Feig will let you ride up in the front seat with them.

Here's an idea that may not have occurred to you: Nobody wanted this. Studios won't learn, and inevitably, a Raiders of the Lost Ark movie series will eventually be rebooted with some younger actor replacing Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. And nobody will want that, either.

Nobody wanted this Star Wars spins offs?

Then why has The Mandelorean been met with amazing critic and audience reviews?

But I was saying those are just a few - there’s plenty other reasons it tanked

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Bingo.

Like many of us have said recently, we're knuckle-deep in the "nothing wrong with the product, must be the user" era of movie making.

I'm a life'r fan of SW and I even had zero interest in a Ha Solo film...even if made correctly. In my world of SW fans that I personally know, 2 saw it in the theater because they both will watch ANYTHING with the words Star and Wars in it and even they were "meh...I had nothing else better to to" about the film.

I haven't watched Solo, probably never will. Little interest in it and the fact that it is so mediocre makes me want to see it even less.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member

This tactic being employed by the various entertainment industries that produce tripe is something that really came into fashion on Twitter following the disastrous Ghostbusters film. The constant dog whistle was 'Our movie's not bad. You're bad for not liking it.'

This is Access Media Shilling 101. It's how studios 'fan proof' their films and deflect blame elsewhere. It's a disgusting, divisive, anti consumer technique and anybody adopting it is being a useful idiot.

Even IF the fans are such awful people, nobody spouting off about it is doing so for the sake of 'improving society'. Their brand is tarnished and they don't want to take responsibility for it.

With access media eager to get on their knees for the corporate gods and run interference for them, a fan blaming culture as arisen and it's insane.

But it seems to be on the way out now, and it's a good thing.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This tactic being employed by the various entertainment industries that produce tripe is something that really came into fashion on Twitter following the disastrous Ghostbusters film. The constant dog whistle was 'Our movie's not bad. You're bad for not liking it.'

This is Access Media Shilling 101. It's how studios 'fan proof' their films and deflect blame elsewhere. It's a disgusting, divisive, anti consumer technique and anybody adopting it is being a useful idiot.

Even IF the fans are such awful people, nobody spouting off about it is doing so for the sake of 'improving society'. Their brand is tarnished and they don't want to take responsibility for it.

With access media eager to get on their knees for the corporate gods and run interference for them, a fan blaming culture as arisen and it's insane.

Hollywood has no morals, never has, never will. For most of us, this is no new thing. The SJW kick was just another gimmick and for the most part, it has failed miserably and cost them millions (if not billions). In the end, Hollywood will move on to more profitable pastures and leave these current mouthy movie making activists once again by themselves.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I haven't watched Solo, probably never will. Little interest in it and the fact that it is so mediocre makes me want to see it even less.

I watched Solo and rather liked it. There was a lot of issues with it, but there was some real potential there that I wish they had made the most of. If it had not been Solo but just kind of about the other characters it could have been pretty good, kind of sci-fi space heist movie. Just watching it from the point of view of an action adventure crime kind of move it was kind of fun.

The biggest issue comes that there was never any real sense of danger. You don't know the lesser characters enough to care about what happens to them and you know nothing happens to your main characters so you can't build up any kind of suspense or risk.

What was maybe the biggest action sequence in the movie was to me the most boring, drawn out part of it because there was no threat at all to the characters as you know there is no danger to them.

I didn't think I would like it but it was as good as about anything else that was out at the time. Not a great movie but not as bad as people make it out to be. It was worth watching on netflix or whatever it was on when I watched it, that's about as high of praise as I can give most modern films. That it didn't feel like a total waste of time.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

If they haven't already and I'm sure they have, but if not they will - trend setters and influencer-types will be bought and sold so that the fan base must comply, else they forfeit being a part of the whole. No one likes to be shunned. Confusing the masses about what they really need, like, feel, think, that's the way to the bank.

Edit: sidenote. When will big banks start buying up Disney type companies? I think when that happens there won't be any more powerful entities to own all of it, that will be the roof..

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The original SWIX script by Colin Treverrow has leaked to the internet, and if you ask me, it sounds way more interesting.

Quick notes:

Name was originally: Duel of Fates
No freaking Palps outside of a hologram.
No Final Order, just First order.
Leia works to get the galaxy to rise up and fight after failing to do so in Last Jedi.
Luke's force ghost haunts the shit out of Kylo throughout the first half of the movie.
Rey would have still just been Rey, daughter of junk traders. Kylo would have been revealed to have killed her parents at some point.
Kylo stays bad and gets disfigured by a Sith holocron.
Kylo has a light saber battle with the ghost of Darth Vader.
Rey and the ghosts of Luke, Obi Wan, and Yoda try to bring him back to the light at the end, but nothing doing. Rey kills Kylo.
The Sith and Jedi are no more, though light and dark still exist and opening the movie world to the concept of gray.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainme...-wars-9-original-script-colin-trevorrow-leak/

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
It wouldn't really make sense unless it were like the cave fight in Empire.

I mean, I'd also watch the CG-ghost of Sebastian Shaw spend 15 minutes climbing into CG-ghost Vader armor while shit-talking Kylo, but I don't think that would happen.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
This sounds like a better movie...