Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
This came up during our "cool down" period in class a while back. We all began talking about the films. I asked them to tell me plot points of the films, starting with the first, second, and now third trilogy.

Maybe there's a Star Wars support group out there somewhere for you.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Maybe there's a Star Wars support group out there somewhere for you.

Nah...I'm not really all that twisted about it anymore.

I'll admit that I drank the kooaid when Disney bought it, I was really hoping the mega-might would do something great with the franchise.

As time went on, it became more and more evident to me it was going downhill and as one would expect, it pissed me off. Now? I consider SW dead, or at least for now. I have no interest in watching anything that is coming out.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
C'mon. Lucas had no idea what he was doing plot-wise. This isn't even debatable.

I have an issue with what is being presumed when saying making it up as he went along. If you are the brainchild, knock yourself out. I wouldn't use that term here because there's a cynical connotation to it. Creative process is whatever.

To me its like if Justin Timberlake recorded the follow up to Nevermind.
Kurt Cobain may have "made it up as he went along" but this phrase would mean something much different far more negative if it refered to the "sequel"

Alright whatever. I'm old

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I have an issue with what is being presumed when saying making it up as he went along. If you are the brainchild, knock yourself out. I wouldn't use that term here because there's a cynical connotation to it. Creative process is whatever.

To me its like if Justin Timberlake recorded the follow up to Nevermind.
Kurt Cobain may have "made it up as he went along" but this phrase would mean something much different far more negative if it refered to the "sequel"

Alright whatever. I'm old

I think you're right in this sense. Disney, knowing full well that this would be a three film story arc, should get crushed for not having a overarching plot plan mapped out for your multi-billion dollar property. You can still make up the bits in between as you go along, but they should absolutely have had a plan for this story and they didn't and it shows. Lucas can be excused a bit because you don't (well, didn't) make films with eyes already on a sequel, so if some things have to get fudged to fit in ROTJ, no problem.

Early impressions are starting to come out and they are very mixed (by my reading at least) which is incredible when you think that these people were selected for an advance viewing and Disney should be doing its damnedest to make sure that they would come out of it with a positive review.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The gist I get is that they fucked themselves trying to placate people who hated TLJ.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
53% Metacritic 53 professional reviews
58% Rotten Tomatoes 192 professional reviews

I'm going to be drunk or stoned.
I'll try to not pay any attention about plots or story-lines.
I'm going on a planet/galaxy hopping adventure with my friends and enemies, past present & future.
Alive and passed.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Who hated it in a particular way, I maybe should have said.

But I'm basing that on the review in Forbes. (Contains Spoilers) https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/12/18/review-disney-and-lucasfilms-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-is-a-terrible-end-to-the-skywalker-saga/

Boy...that review was a real treat to read...what a snarky dick. Insulting the movie AND the viewers...what an edge lord...

...and the whole "der...Stars warz is for kids...old nerrrrddd!!!" Is absurd...seriously.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Who hated it in a particular way, I maybe should have said.

But I'm basing that on the review in Forbes. (Contains Spoilers) https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/12/18/review-disney-and-lucasfilms-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-is-a-terrible-end-to-the-skywalker-saga/

The only people who liked TLJ are the poor bastards who are so deep in to the sunk cost fallacy that they will gladly swallow any hunk of shit that has the Star Wars crawl at the beginning and self-obsessed jackoffs like Scott Mendelson who see entertainment solely through the lens of "does this agree with my narrow-minded view of the world".

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I enjoyed tlj, you guys are just butthurt your prediction didnt go your way. I thought you guys were done with star wars then here you are again first in line to watch and bitch about it.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I enjoyed tlj, you guys are just butthurt your prediction didnt go your way. I thought you guys were done with star wars then here you are again first in line to watch and bitch about it.

I subjected myself to it again this weekend so I'm ready to take a deep dive. What did you enjoy about it?

Opening point: It is a garbage movie from the opening scene through to the conclusion.

Lou

TonK's fake account
Seeing this Friday, hope it’s not as terrible as The Last Jedi.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I subjected myself to it again this weekend so I'm ready to take a deep dive. What did you enjoy about it?

Opening point: It is a garbage movie from the opening scene through to the conclusion.

I enjoyed seeing Luke again, enjoyed the lightsaber battles, Kylo's nipples, some very nice cinematography, such a visually stunning film to watch...Im also just a big fan of the Star Wars universe. I've enjoyed the heck out of all of them, even the prequel. I think my least fav is Solo & Rogue One was such a bore.

Ill probably do a double feature on Awakens & Last Jedi, before seeing Rise Sunday night w/ the family.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sheev is Anakin's dad though right?

The Virgin Mary shit is stupid as fuck.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Lucas can be excused a bit because you don't (well, didn't) make films with eyes already on a sequel, so if some things have to get fudged to fit in ROTJ, no problem.
Lucas changed some things in Empire, because originally someone else wrote some of the story, so he changed it to have Vader as Luke's father (which wasn't what it originally was).
The first Star Wars was the best because it used what was originally supposed to be the ending of the whole trilogy- the destruction of the Death Star.
I think Rise of Skywalker is easily the best of the sequel movies. Bringing the Emperor back really made it interesting. And also the scenes with the Star Destroyers. From what I've read, it was Lucas who suggested to the producers that they should bring back the Emperor.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Lucas changed some things in Empire, because originally someone else wrote some of the story, so he changed it to have Vader as Luke's father (which wasn't what it originally was).
The first Star Wars was the best because it used what was originally supposed to be the ending of the whole trilogy- the destruction of the Death Star.
I think Rise of Skywalker is easily the best of the sequel movies. Bringing the Emperor back really made it interesting. And also the scenes with the Star Destroyers. From what I've read, it was Lucas who suggested to the producers that they should bring back the Emperor.

I never got the feeling that Star Wars was meant to be stand alone...Vader flying off at the end doesn't spell "end of story" to me.

The Emperor coming back is just more of shitting on the original trilogy.

VIII took Luke Skywalker, the hero that was a symbol of long suffering for good, redemption, and hope, and turned him into a shitty, cynical old cocksucker who tried to ax a kid over a dream.

Bringing the Emperor back in IX shits on Vader/Anakin's sacrifice in VI. The entire plot line of IV-VI is redemption and setting things right, which he does...bringing him back invalidates what Luke/Vader did and makes it all for nothing.

Blade Runner 2049 augmented the original, added to it and enriched the overall plot. It can be done. I feel that this "new" trilogy has tried to make its mark by cheapening the original films...which is even more egregious.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Reviews are already pretty bad. It's gonna be fun watching the SJW meltdowns about people just not liking the movie.

I propose a drinking game. Every time a SJW review mentions the words incel, neckbeard, patriarchy, or white privilege we take a shot.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Please never link a Scott Mendelson review of a movie anywhere ever again. The guy is an access media shill and when it comes to pop culture hot button topics, he should be ignored.

EDIT: he's been waging a social media war with the vocal opposition of Disney Wars for years now, and every time he writes about something like Star Wars, his overwhelming bias and frustration with his opponents shows. He's a petty fool that lost his way a long time ago.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I don't really follow any movie critics except for Armond White.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Please never link a Scott Mendelson review of a movie anywhere ever again. The guy is an access media shill and when it comes to pop culture hot button topics, he should be ignored.

EDIT: he's been waging a social media war with the vocal opposition of Disney Wars for years now, and every time he writes about something like Star Wars, his overwhelming bias and frustration with his opponents shows. He's a petty fool that lost his way a long time ago.

I've never heard of the guy before reading that...and now I can see why. He comes across as a serious dick.

*EDIT 12-20*

I find this interesting. While I do not really follow Rotten Tomatoes, their scores do often paint an interesting picture. Check this out:

Episode VII: Critics-93%, Viewers-86%

Rogue One: Critics-83%, Viewers-86%

*In comes the hard social justice era of movie reviews*

Episode VIII: Critics-91%, Viewers-43%

Solo: Critics-70%, Viewers-63%

Episode IX: Critics-58%, Viewers-86%

Going off of this...I just may enjoy IX. VII and Rogue One were fine...and I do mean that literally, fine. Not amazing, far from perfect. If IX is currently getting a 86% from viewers...it may be ok.

Last edited: