8Bitdo Neo geo wireless controller SNK licensed

doaal

Marked Wolf
If it requires more force to actuate the switch then they probably could have used a lighter spring to compensate. iirc the CD style pad SNK released for the PS2 was also slightly off, so what can you do.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Tear-down vid (korean language) for those interested:

Those KOF ones don’t seem worth it at all, imagine how gross it will look once the decals start fading off from hand oils. Standard black all the way.

It's fun to see the exact same enclosure for the stick.

iirc the CD style pad SNK released for the PS2 was also slightly off, so what can you do.
I'm not throwing mine in the garbage, but I hope someone figures out how to adjust this to have a closer feel to the original pad.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Mine has arrived aswell but I’m chilling in nature with the fam. Hopefully the mailman didn’t chuck it between the shutters and the flower pots because it is raining quite a bit here

Attachments

• IMG_7305.jpeg
    IMG_7305.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 9

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
This fella tests it out on pc and few different consoles.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
@Niko is right there was no way they could recreate the exact feel. And @Burning Fight!! is also right that they shouldn't have have claimed it's a "flawless remake." They probably looked into what they could get away with saying legally and determined that they could say that without making any specific claim. Let's all be pals.
Part of this nutritious breakfast.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm disappointed that poison gas didn't come out of the box so we would never have to endure another video from this guy.
He's got enough subs where he's doing this for a living, so that's probably the only way he'll stop. Doesn't look like much fun, but maybe it beats a 9-5 job.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I have mind coming today I may hold on until at least switch compatibility is figured out or just return them

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Now that I'm looking on the FAQ it's weird it's not supposed to be compatible with the switch, when the regular receiver FAQ does mention support for it as a Pro Controller. I might test some shit later.

EDIT: no dice here, and also I just realized the controller doesn't pair with my SN30 2.4g adapter so I can't even do the snes->db15 strategy. But I've seen reports of NeoBT working with other 8bitdo controllers so I'm buying a Mega Drive bluetooth receiver and a chinese adapter to see if it will finally allow me to neo geo it. Not a huge loss if it doesn't since I can probably pair other shit to it and I don't really have anything wireless for the genny.

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Mine came today (plain black and not the hideous KOF version) and initial impressions are that it feels pretty good. Ive never tried an original ngcd controller but have a couple of the Neo Geo mini ones that some guy on Twitter modded to click and work on db15. This feels pretty close to that, and should be a good controller to use with mister esp now that the ngcd core is out

Edit: just messed around with it for about an hour on mister. Connected easily, feels great, seems like latency must be low as I was able to hit putts on turf masters and any bad latency normally shows up there. Might have to get another one

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Personnaly it's for my Neo Geo Pi, dongle 2.4G is useless for me. But I didn't know the adapter could be updated too :geek:
Why not using Bluetooth instead for the Switch ?

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
Tested controller with PC and works fine, but will not work with my consolized MVS. LED is on on dongle, it's paired, but MVS sees no input. What's odd is the 8bitdo arcade stick that I had briefly did work with the MVS, and it used a 2.4ghz dongle as well. I wonder what's different. In any case, the controller feels nice, but it may end up going back just because I won't have much use for it.

chazbc24

Cheng's Errand Boy
Returning mine. doesnt work with my 8bitdo SNES blutooth dongle that was advertised to be compatible with "all 8bitdo controllers" (yes i updated both the dongle and the controller) and the the travel on the deadzone is very far before you hit the dull register of the mouseclick. I agree with the person who posted the png of the marketing. the advertizing is really misleading and claims the product to be something that it isnt. It's fair to be dissapointed beyond dismissing those critiques as some sort of unreasonable expectation of *checks notes* making a decent microswitch controller.

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I tried it out on the 2.4ghz dongle that came with the SN30 or whatever the fuck they're called that came out for the SNES MINI console. Didn't work.
In fact here is my list of shit I tried:
Bluetooth connection:

Mac ✅
Steamdeck ✅

2.4gz wired/wireless connection w/without mayflash + Bluetooth connection attempt
Astro City Mini 👎
Egret II mini 👎
Capcom Retro Station 👎

Old 8bitdo 2.4ghz receiver for snes mini
Snes mini 👎

GamelinQ ADAPTER + Switch
2.4ghz dongle 👎
Wired 👎

Mayflash Adapter + Switch
Bluetooth 👎

Wingman SD + 2.4ghz dongle/ wired + Dreamcast 👎

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Wait, how does it not work via Bluetooth? I thought the only reason it had the feature was to increase compatibility as a generic controller. Did you update the firmware with the new beta version 8bitdo made available?

LOL I guess now I know the bluetooth 8bitdo receiver for genny will not work before it even arrives.

NeoSeeD

New Challenger
I received one yesterday and was surprised that it did not pair with the SNES retro receiver. Interestingly enough, out of the early retro receivers, the Genesis one finally received an update recently, but there is no mention of NGCD controller compatibility. Maybe I'll give it a shot over the next few days to see if it works.

Regarding the pad itself, it's very close to the original. Definitely much closer than the non-clicky pad that was released for the Neo Geo Mini. The microswitches do sound a bit different and are a tad bit stiffer than my original NGCD pad, but overall, it would be acceptable if it had a native retro receiver. While the old pads were great, they weren't all that reliable. If 8bitdo's microswitch design ends up as more reliable in the long run, then the minor (expected as these are a decades later release to the originals) changes should be worth it.

MiSTer users should be happy. Plug in the dongle and it works great with the Neo Geo core. Definitely worth it there. Same with PC users. It just worked with Retroarch. Strangely enough, I had no luck pairing it to the Analogue Pocket + dock, even after updating the USB Adapter 2 that is supposedly compatible with it.

TLDR: It's good and close enough with MiSTer & PC, but I want compatibility with retro receivers and original hardware.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I tried it out on the 2.4ghz dongle that came with the SN30 or whatever the fuck they're called that came out for the SNES MINI console. Didn't work.
In fact here is my list of shit I tried:
Bluetooth connection:

Mac ✅
Steamdeck ✅

2.4gz wired/wireless connection w/without mayflash + Bluetooth connection attempt
Astro City Mini 👎
Egret II mini 👎
Capcom Retro Station 👎

Old 8bitdo 2.4ghz receiver for snes mini
Snes mini 👎

GamelinQ ADAPTER + Switch
2.4ghz dongle 👎
Wired 👎

Mayflash Adapter + Switch
Bluetooth 👎

Wingman SD + 2.4ghz dongle/ wired + Dreamcast 👎

Thanks for this I was hoping it would work with the Mayflash Magic NS. I got two in the mail yesterday I may return at least one for now.