BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
A little late on this one but I just finished Gravity Falls. Loved it. A clever, fun all ages show that is perfectly self contained in 2 seasons. No filler, no pandering or dumbing down, no embarrassing lazy pop culture references or gags and no shoehorned in creator or network agenda. It looks good too, not amazing but they definitely put a lot of thought and effort into everything. This is up there with Home Movies, Mission Hill and the better seasons of Regular Show for me, it's really a gem.

A show like this makes all these new "adult" cartoons on streaming look absolutely pathetic. A conveyor belt of dumb, lazy, ugly, pandering junk just being cranked out and rightly forgotten.

Big fan of GF for sure.

If you end up watching it again (wife and I have a few times) you'll see all kinds of cool foreshadowing and little bits and bobs that are like OH HEY!! Like Blendin Blandin, he shows up in like the 2nd episode and isnt properly introduced until a few eps later.

Did you know about the little connection it has with Rick and Morty?

When Stanford first turns on the machine and stuff starts getting sucked in, first in are a coffee mug with a ? on it, a pen and a pad. In one of the first eps of Rick and Morty, Rick opens a bunch of portals in succession and out of one of them - a ? coffee mug, pen and pad fall out. Split second, easy to miss.

They never did anything more with that connection, but kind of a cool little easter egg to spot, since Hirsch and Roiland went to school together.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The Afterparty:

Bro in law wouldn't shut the hell up about this show so the wife and I started it. Its basically a retelling/parody/inspired by Rashomon, only not as well done as Drowning Mona.

Only seen two eps. The first ep was meh, but the 2nd got me reeled in because of Ike Barenholtz. Guys a complete idiot and makes me laugh. will keep watching.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The first episode of the new Buffyverse audio drama drops tomorrow. Set 20 years after the show ended, ignores all the comics. A ton of the original cast is back:
James Marsters as Spike
Amber Benson as Tara Maclay
Emma Caulfield as Anya/Anyanka
Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia Chase
Juliet Landau as Drusilla
James Leary as Clem
Anthony Stewart Head as Rupert Giles
Phina Orucha as Olivia Williams
Danny Strong as Jonathan Levinson

Benson wrote and directed it alongside Christopher Golden who was written dozens of issues of Buffyverse comics, 15 novels, two video games, and several guidebooks.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Finished the first season of Afterparty and it was fine.

2nd season I watched 3 eps and just lost interest.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The first episode of the new Buffyverse audio drama drops tomorrow. Set 20 years after the show ended, ignores all the comics. A ton of the original cast is back:
James Marsters as Spike
Amber Benson as Tara Maclay
Emma Caulfield as Anya/Anyanka
Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia Chase
Juliet Landau as Drusilla
James Leary as Clem
Anthony Stewart Head as Rupert Giles
Phina Orucha as Olivia Williams
Danny Strong as Jonathan Levinson

Benson wrote and directed it alongside Christopher Golden who was written dozens of issues of Buffyverse comics, 15 novels, two video games, and several guidebooks.
Where's Joss Whedon? Where's Nicholas Brendon? What a letdown.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Where's Joss Whedon? Where's Nicholas Brendon? What a letdown.
Brendon is probably choking his girlfriend at a 7-11.

Whedon actually signed off on this show even though half the people in the cast called him a dickhead. If it turns out good Joss will try to weasel his way into the credit for it, while if it sucks he'll disavow it entirely.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
A Buffy audio drama, really? You're going to actually listen to that?

oson-welles-spotify.png

famicommander

15 Year Member
Why not? It's going to be 8 episodes and nearly as long in total length as the 12 episode first season of the show. It's essentially a brand new season.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Because it's a Buffy audio drama?

I don't care how much of the cast they got or who wrote it. It's a level of goobery I just can't hang on. Just like the comics and novels etc.

I like a couple seasons of the show, I don't give a fuck about the Buffyverse. I don't even like typing Buffyverse.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Because it's a Buffy audio drama?

I don't care how much of the cast they got or who wrote it. It's a level of goobery I just can't hang on. Just like the comics and novels etc.

I like a couple seasons of the show, I don't give a fuck about the Buffyverse. I don't even like typing Buffyverse.
I don't really care what medium the stories come in if they're good. Most of the comics suck but some of them are really good and no less valid than the show, and even the shittiest comics are better than the original film was. There are like 50 novels and I'm certainly not gonna bother attempting to read all of those but I don't see what makes them fundamentally different than expanded universe Star Wars or Star Trek books.

famicommander

15 Year Member
In "too little, too late" news, Marvel is finally going to start hiring actual showrunners and producing pilots for their TV shows. Up until now they just gave the film execs 150 million dollar budgets and let them make all the calls on the fly, then fix whatever they didn't like in post-production.

Apparently they got halfway through shooting their Daredevil reboot and it was so bad they fired all the writers, producers, and directors and made this call.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I havent watched Archer since the whole "country music" season. No idea how long ago that was.
Archer was wildly successful unlike Sealab and Frisky Dingo. It was part of pop culture for a while even. Then it went in the bizarre direction of Archer being in a coma for a few seasons and having those seasons play out as his coma dreams.

Anyways, watched the last episode just now. It's pretty pathetic this was the last episode. When it was over I immediately felt bad for the fans who have been getting jerked around for years with this show. C'est la vie

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Archer was wildly successful unlike Sealab and Frisky Dingo. It was part of pop culture for a while even. Then it went in the bizarre direction of Archer being in a coma for a few seasons and having those seasons play out as his coma dreams.

Anyways, watched the last episode just now. It's pretty pathetic this was the last episode. When it was over I immediately felt bad for the fans who have been getting jerked around for years with this show. C'est la vie
Man, Frisky Dingo was awesome. I was introduced to it after it had been cancelled but I love the two seasons we got. Didn't watch the X-Tacles pilot tho.

I really did like archer at first but that country music thing just made me lose interest.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Star Trek: Lower Decks has been pretty good so far this season.
Agreed. Though I'm wondering why they are dragging out that mysterious ship so far. Like there are prob 3 episodes left and we barely got a tiny bit of info.

Always ALWAYS good to see or hear the amazing Jeffrey Combes in Trek. His Agimus is awesome but nothing compares to his Shran. Shran was probably the only really good thing about Enterprise.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Fall of the House of Usher- The new Netflix series by Mike Flanagan based on Edgar Allen Poe's writings. This was in line with his other series (mainly Haunting of Hill House and Bly Manor) character driven modernized gothic horror. This was a fairly inventive adaptation, he basically took Poe's stories and meshed them with Succession. All of the usual actors are back along with a few new faces and everyone does an excellent job. The production values are fairly high and it has one of the best deaths in anything he's done. If you liked his other stuff this shouldn't disappoint. Or if you just want to see an interesting adaptation and enjoy slow burn horror. Recommended.

Goosebumps- Hulu series based on the RL Stine books but this is not targeted at the same age group, this is definitely intended for 13-15 year olds. At most the horror elements are a light PG-13. Obviously I'm not the target audience but I thought there would at least be a little bit of nostalgia from the books but nope. In fact it's mostly lame high school drama. Also for some reason they decided to use natural lighting in all the night scenes and you can't see shit. I guess of you're a 14 year old girl then it might be enjoyable but otherwise nah.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The Fall of the House of Usher- The new Netflix series by Mike Flanagan based on Edgar Allen Poe's writings. This was in line with his other series (mainly Haunting of Hill House and Bly Manor) character driven modernized gothic horror. This was a fairly inventive adaptation, he basically took Poe's stories and meshed them with Succession. All of the usual actors are back along with a few new faces and everyone does an excellent job. The production values are fairly high and it has one of the best deaths in anything he's done. If you liked his other stuff this shouldn't disappoint. Or if you just want to see an interesting adaptation and enjoy slow burn horror. Recommended.

Just finished it, and I concur with what you said. I really enjoyed it from start to finish. Last episode was a bit long, but I really liked how it took from several of Poe's works.

Spoiler:
I didn't understand why the lady gave the illusion of choice to the children. Clearly they had no choice, especially given Lenore outlook on life.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
At the recommendation of my bro-in-law, we started Severance with Adam Scott, Chris Walken, John Turturro and Patricia Arquette. Only two out of nine episodes into the current only-one-season but its definitely got us intrigued.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Decided to take a little break from movies and have been going through the Friday the 13th TV Series. It's awful but I love it. It's pretty much Warehouse 13 but 80s as hell and horror themed. Just a warning though it has absolutely nothing to do with the F13 movies.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Finished the first season of Severance.

Its got a real Portal, Control, Stanley Principle feel to it. Like all the tech and computers they use in the main working area is from the 70s but its modern day, maybe slightly in the future, like 10 years maybe?

Pretty much a cliffhanger ending to the season but its definitely entertaining. Looking at the 2nd season's casting sheet they got fuckin John Noble for season 2. Awesome. Cant wait for it.