Chester Bennington killed himself

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
may he rest in peace. i do know in the recant times he was complaining about fan criticism of the direction the band was taking the music. was never really a linkin park fan my self, but a lot of my friends in college always played their music in class. so their music does bring back memories.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
was never a huge fan but Crawling and Waiting for the End are superb and play on my heart strings like Hendrix played the Fender

beautiful:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I saw this on Facebook and had to confirm it. suicide apparently.I was a fan of their first 3 albums, but then the direction the band took really threw me off. I remember there was a clear divide between fan service and exploring new territory, but I just can't get into anything they put out anymore.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
and I just want to leave this one last song - very fitting. they where dear friends, Chester god father to one of Chris' daughters

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
He tried SO HARD,
and got SO FAR
In the end,
it didn't even matter

Linkin Park was always shit.

And they reformed STP for him. Him.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
STP with him was horrible.
Scott Weiland laid it on too thick though I always felt the strengh of the band lay with the amazing guitars and bass

(btw. today would have been Cornell's bd. and Staley apparently ODd the same day, years later as Cobain had taken his own life. rock)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
STP with him was horrible.
Scott Weiland laid it on too thick though I always felt the strengh of the band lay with the amazing guitars and bass

(btw. today would have been Cornell's bd. and Staley apparently ODd the same day, years later as Cobain had taken his own life. rock)

To be fair, AFAIK, Weiland wrote a lot of the bass lines. But I agree; STP's strength was letting the bass drive the song and having the guitars compliment that, which is rare in rock music.

PS: RIP. Messed up and unexpected. While I don't like their music, they clearly know their craft and have a very hard work ethic.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
.I was a fan of their first 3 albums, but then the direction the band took really threw me off. I remember there was a clear divide between fan service and exploring new territory, but I just can't get into anything they put out anymore.

john frusciante went in the same direction. he finally lost his mind and left the chilli peppers to start exploring in new wave electronica. and the funny thing is, all his fans try really hard to pretend that they like his new shit. it's funny when you read comments like " i know this may sound like annoying noise. but if you listen to it long enough, you could actually make out what john is trying to do here".

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
He tried SO HARD,
and got SO FAR
In the end,
it didn't even matter

Linkin Park was always shit.

And they reformed STP for him. Him.

C'mon man. I haven't listened to them since I was like 13 but show a little bit of sympathy. He's leaving six children without a father.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Molested as a child, substance abuse problems, unlimited funds and access to drugs, depression...yikes, what a perfect storm:/

I'm still bummed about wayne static.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
john frusciante went in the same direction. he finally lost his mind and left the chilli peppers to start exploring in new wave electronica. and the funny thing is, all his fans try really hard to pretend that they like his new shit. it's funny when you read comments like " i know this may sound like annoying noise. but if you listen to it long enough, you could actually make out what john is trying to do here".

hah, no way. his solo stuff is amazing.
I got into it with his 2001 album
Ataxia is out of this world.
he has gradually become more abstract.
started off pretty damn abstract.

same here.

and Dimebag. that was very wtf.

To be fair, AFAIK, Weiland wrote a lot of the bass lines. But I agree; STP's strength was letting the bass drive the song and having the guitars compliment that, which is rare in rock music.
I didn't know that about Weiland, props.
thing is DeLeo is imo the most underrated guitar player of his generation/genre of music. people tend to comment on Weiland in relation to STP, and I get it to an extent. but I felt I could see through Scott's overdone antics

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
WTF I just got an email from Groupon for Linkin Park concert tickets? Price reduced to $40.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
may he rest in peace. i do know in the recant times he was complaining about fan criticism of the direction the band was taking the music. was never really a linkin park fan my self, but a lot of my friends in college always played their music in class. so their music does bring back memories.

Thought of that, too. He was pretty vocal about not being real thrilled with the reaction to the latest album. I dunno, it's his band he can do what he wants, but yeah, people may not like it.

Almost certainly not the main factor but it probably didn't help his depression.

fake

15 Year Member
Molested as a child, substance abuse problems, unlimited funds and access to drugs, depression...yikes, what a perfect storm:/

Wow, I didn't know he died.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
He was pretty vocal about not being real thrilled with the reaction to the latest album. I dunno, it's his band he can do what he wants, but yeah, people may not like it. Almost certainly not the main factor but it probably didn't help his depression.

Not too long ago, I was watching some of their older videos, thinking how much money all of that CGI must have cost back then, and how dated it looked today. I also thought about how big they were back then, up until Minutes To Midnight. Thinking about all of that, I had no idea they were about to release their new album, which came out in May.

Their new stuff got bad reviews, which might have been a bit unfair, but if you're reviewing Linkin Park, you can't simply set aside the sound and style they've distinguished themselves with all those years ago. Their new tracks sound like something taken from a Fast and the Furious soundtrack, or any teen blockbuster movie that has slow-mo scenes of massive parties. Alternatively, they can be found on a teenage girl's playlist, which she's been preparing for her and her boyfriend's first time.

Which is not to say the music is utter rubbish. It's just a bit too generic, too "buy me now, because in a year no one will be producing or listening to music that sounds like this". It's like when dubstep blew up. Everyone just had to have that damned wobble bass. Now, it's all about the smurf squeals. Having them on multiple tracks on the same album was definitely not a great idea.

Example 1
Example 2

Having said that, I'm sure the under-performing album wasn't the reason he took his life, and I'm sorry he got to a point when he saw no other way out. It's a damn shame. He should have endured, for the sake of his kids. Then again, I have no idea what his family situation was.

fake

15 Year Member
Sheesh. I didn't know they sounded like that now. I remember maybe 4 years ago or so they put out a radio single that was a cacophony of electronic drums and chanting, and that's when I thought they were doing the silly experimental thing. But I guess they kept at it?

That said, I'll give credit where it's due - there was nothing like Hybrid Theory or Meteora when those came out. They know how to write hits and sell albums. And I'd maybe even go as far as to say they made screamed vocals somewhat acceptable in mainstream music.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
damn i was just hearing him on the radio 2 days ago and thinking its wild that they are still out and as relevant as ever. I was never a fan but they totally had undeniable presence.

Sad to hear another rock star go out like this :( mental health is no joke