Cobra Kai: Anyone watching?

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
It’s on Netflix now. No excuse for you fags not to watch this.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just watched all of season 2.

It's a really good show.

Cobra Kai Season 1 > Cobra Kai Season 2 > The Karate Kid > The Karate Kid Part II > The Next Karate Kid > The Karate Kid Part III

The creators confirmed that the four films featuring Mr. Miyagi are all canon, and any characters from those four movies could show up in season 3. The Jackie Chan/Jaden Smith remake is not considered canon.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Binged Season 1 today.

Loved it.

How imaginative. Whoever came up with the idea is a genius. They've extended the lives of these characters in ways that make them infinitely more compelling while at the same time retaining the same innocent charm and wistful martial arts ethos that made the original film such an adolescent must watch.

This is the sequel no one knew they wanted. It's brilliant.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Binged Season 1 today.

Loved it.

How imaginative. Whoever came up with the idea is a genius. They've extended the lives of these characters in ways that make them infinitely more compelling while at the same time retaining the same innocent charm and wistful martial arts ethos that made the original film such an adolescent must watch.

This is the sequel no one knew they wanted. It's brilliant.

Season 2 leans into the nostalgia even more. Quite a few characters from the first three films appear or are referenced.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Season 2 leans into the nostalgia even more. Quite a few characters from the first three films appear or are referenced.

Yeah it falls off a lot in season 2 though. Stiff and forced sub plots mostly involving the kids.

I love season 1 and a lot of 2 because they struck the perfect balance between modern tv series and soap opera along the lines of Baywatch.
The two main actors are brilliantly engaging, they flow with elegance and ease, very nice to watch

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Yeah it falls off a lot in season 2 though. Stiff and forced sub plots mostly involving the kids.

I love season 1 and a lot of 2 because they struck the perfect balance between modern tv series and soap opera along the lines of Baywatch.
The two main actors are brilliantly engaging, they flow with elegance and ease, very nice to watch

I didn't like the ending of season two, the fight scene was total cheese and now two dudes lives are totally ruined. I liked some of it (the cheese) and baywatchyness early 90's TV feel of it but other parts of season two also went overboard with it as well. There was another thread I was talking about it in, maybe the TV show one.

Youtube also throws the episodes up for free after awhile, maybe I'll try to catch another episode or do the free mebership pay for a month thing in a bit.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Season 2 may be worse than season 1 but it's still significantly better than the first film, let alone the sequels. Karate Kid III in particular is pretty horrible and stupid.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I agree with Taiso, and famicommander except I didn't really notice a drop off for season 2. Cobra Kai is one of the best shows currently in production.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Season 2 may be worse than season 1 but it's still significantly better than the first film, let alone the sequels. Karate Kid III in particular is pretty horrible and stupid.

It's kinda like they're walking a tightrope. Making the show for tweens and also forty somethings. Guess you could watch it with your 11 year old. My kids are too young. They still just like watching 20 minute cartoons.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I love how somebody brought up Frank Dux on this thread. I watched this show when it first came out and loved every minute of it, being a former karate guy

famicommander

15 Year Member
There's a trailer out there for season 3.

Seems like Daniel goes back to Okinawa. Maybe some characters from Part II show up? The actors for Sato and Yukie are long dead, but the ones who played Chozen and Kumiko are still kicking.

It was also announced that the Aisha character (the fat girl) from seasons 1 and 2 won't be in season 3 as they didn't have anything for her to do.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Oh wow I have to check that out, I'm excited that there's gonna be a season 3!

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Its a great show one of my favs but sorry not the same magic as Karate Kid 1 & 2...Im guessing you weren't born when Karate Kid got release. It single handedly popularize karate in the united states. Its a classic iconic coming age film that can be watched generation over and over again.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Its a great show one of my favs but sorry not the same magic as Karate Kid 1 & 2...Im guessing you weren't born when Karate Kid got release. It single handedly popularize karate in the united states. Its a classic iconic coming age film that can be watched generation over and over again.

I really don't think one could get super excited about this show unless they loved the original movie, just my opinion

famicommander

15 Year Member

The second movie isn't that good at all. The best scene in the movie is the beginning when Miyagi fucks up Kreese in the parking lot.

famicommander

15 Year Member

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Cobra Kai now the #1 show on Netflix:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...re-hit-to-the-1-show-in-america/#1f756225614e

Creators say that they have five different ideas which could lead to spin-off shows:
https://www.thewrap.com/cobra-kai-creators-how-move-to-netflix-could-lead-to-spinoffs/

Not sure which characters could carry a whole series.

Maybe Hawk?

You have to figure they keep Johnny, Daniel, Samantha, Robby, and Miguel on the main show.

They are going the Stranger Things route, and this could be problematic as it could get away from them. Season 2 is already weaker than the first, they need to pull in the reigns some

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
What I like about the series is that it feels a bit like Mark of the Wolves melodrama

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I’m halfway through season 1 and fucking loving it.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Binged season 2 today.

Was pretty good though the first 8 eps except for Daniel's wife being a nag.

Second season got a little woke with the girl power shit, although I think the actress that plays Tory is a natural martial artist. She looks the most skilled and athletic out of any of them.

The last two episodes were trash. Very disheartening to see something with so much promise fucking crash and burn so pathetically at the end. Just too heavy and took itself too seriously. Imagine a karate kid story where karate is the problem and not the solution.

Fuck those last two episodes. GoT season 8 tier.
Last Jedi tier.

I'll still watch the third season, though. It's earned enough of my goodwill to deserve it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Watched the first 4 episodes of season 1 last night. As everyone has said it's surprisingly good. I wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it is and the soap opera stuff works, strong vibes of what being an adult is really like vs. what you thought it would be as a kid.

The first time I saw WZ in his Trans Am all I could think about was Coach McGurck from Home Movies.