Cobra Kai: Anyone watching?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Great to see folks here catching up on how great this show is now that it's on Netflix. Excited for season 3.

Karate Kid will forever be a classic, and Karate Kid II has always had a soft spot for me as it kicked off my attraction to Japanese women. I used to think Kumiko was the prettiest woman ever back when I first saw it at the wee age of 8.

The rest....meh. The Jackie Chan one was fun, though to me that's the Kung Fu kid. Still weird that they kept the Karate name, but marketing I guess.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The rest....meh. The Jackie Chan one was fun, though to me that's the Kung Fu kid. Still weird that they kept the Karate name, but marketing I guess.

That was my gripe with it. Other than it just not being great even though I liked Jackie Chan as Mr. Han, I was like uh... Karate is Japanese. He's living in China, label it Wushu, or Wing Chun, or even just your blanket 'kung fu' Kid. But I think you're right. The name popularity is what they were probably after.

I havent finished S2 of Cobra Kai. I started it but we got distracted and never finished. Now that it's on the flix I'll need to get back to it and finish it up.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The main issue with the Chan version is that it's just a worse version of the original. It's a remake of a movie that didn't need to be remade because it really hadn't aged all that much besides the clothes and cars and such. Karate Kid III and Next Karate Kid are much worse movies but I'd still rather watch them than the remake because at least they're different. I mean, the Next Karate Kid has some weird ass paramilitary karate commando student force that runs the school for some crazy reason. That's more interesting to me than seeing Will Smith buy his son into a movie franchise.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I just finished season 2. Loved everything about both season ups until the final episode. Fucking hell that was depressing.

Spoiler:
Miguel nooooooooooo

:(

neo_mao

15 Year Member
A highlight for season 2 for me though was...

Spoiler:
seeing Tommy. That scene from the first movie where he’s got those crazy eyes and screaming about a body bag is a classic. I felt kinda bad when they zipped him up in though

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Actually everything I hate about season two is technically Moons fault. Fuck that bitch. I hope they kill her in the first episode of season three.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i got my gf to casually watch the first season with me this week. We are almost done with season 2 right now.

This is dropping on netflix right when 80's nostalgia is at an all time high. having a blast.

famicommander

15 Year Member
A highlight for season 2 for me though was...

Spoiler:
seeing Tommy. That scene from the first movie where he’s got those crazy eyes and screaming about a body bag is a classic. I felt kinda bad when they zipped him up in though

Spoiler:
The actor who plays Tommy died 2 months after the episode was filmed, unfortunately

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Actually everything I hate about season two is technically Moons fault. Fuck that bitch. I hope they kill her in the first episode of season three.

She'll probably learn karate.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I'm wondering if Tory's father will end up being a legacy character.

Could be:
Dutch (the most psychotic Cobra Kai from the first movie, mentioned to be in jail during season 2)
Terry Silver (Kreese's old war buddy and co-antagonist of Karate Kid III)
Mike Barnes (Daniel's tournament opponent from Karate Kid III)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Was I the only one that was irritated by the lack of good form by Sam towards the end of S2? I mean, you'd figure.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Tory Silver would be too good to be true.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Well the creators have made it a point to mention that there will be more characters from II, III, and Next Karate Kid in season 3.

We saw in the trailer that Daniel goes back to Okinawa so that explains the Part II callback.

And we know they will be digging more into the background of Kreese, which is where Silver and/or Barnes would come into play.

So far no characters at all from Next Karate Kid have been directly referenced or seen. I don't think they could afford Hillary Swank, but then again she has her own Netflix show. Maybe she could be persuaded to do a guest spot.

There really just aren't that many notable characters overall that haven't appeared, and whose actors are still alive:
Ali (almost guaranteed to be showing up in season 3)
Chozen (Daniel's opponent from Part II)
Kumiko (Daniel's love interest from Part II)
Terry Silver
Mike Barnes
Dutch
Jessica (Daniel's love interest from Parti III)
Julie Pierce (Next Karate Kid protag)
Eric McGowan (Julie's love interest)
Colonel Duggan (Julie's version of Kreese)
Ned Randall (Julie's opponent)
Freddie Fernandez (Daniel's neighbor from the first movie)

Those are all the remaining legacy characters whose names I can remember.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I love that they use the music from the movies.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well the creators have made it a point to mention that there will be more characters from II, III, and Next Karate Kid in season 3.

We saw in the trailer that Daniel goes back to Okinawa so that explains the Part II callback.

And we know they will be digging more into the background of Kreese, which is where Silver and/or Barnes would come into play.

So far no characters at all from Next Karate Kid have been directly referenced or seen. I don't think they could afford Hillary Swank, but then again she has her own Netflix show. Maybe she could be persuaded to do a guest spot.

There really just aren't that many notable characters overall that haven't appeared, and whose actors are still alive:
Ali (almost guaranteed to be showing up in season 3)
Chozen (Daniel's opponent from Part II)
Kumiko (Daniel's love interest from Part II)
Terry Silver
Mike Barnes
Dutch
Jessica (Daniel's love interest from Parti III)
Julie Pierce (Next Karate Kid protag)
Eric McGowan (Julie's love interest)
Colonel Duggan (Julie's version of Kreese)
Ned Randall (Julie's opponent)
Freddie Fernandez (Daniel's neighbor from the first movie)

Those are all the remaining legacy characters whose names I can remember.

the actress who played Alli Mills was the boss of the superheroes in The Boys season 1, Elizabeth Shue. So I have no doubt that she will look good for this, and I guess since she's Tory's mom, she will have a big role next season.

famicommander

15 Year Member
the actress who played Alli Mills was the boss of the superheroes in The Boys season 1, Elizabeth Shue. So I have no doubt that she will look good for this, and I guess since she's Tory's mom, she will have a big role next season.

Tory's last name is Nichols. Ali's maiden name is Mills, married name is Schwarber. So it's highly unlikely she's Tory's mother. Plus Tory seems to come from a poor background while Ali is a surgeon.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
My bet for the first spin-off show is for Tory (like a background story) or Aisha...

...or maybe the little Asian kid.

famicommander

15 Year Member
My bet for the first spin-off show is for Tory (like a background story) or Aisha...

...or maybe the little Asian kid.
Aisha was written out of season 3 and the actress didn't seem happy about it, so I don't think she'll be getting a show.

Tory would be a good candidate for a show.

Hawk could probably carry a season.

Maybe Samantha goes off to college and gets a show? Dunno.

I don't think any of the other kids have enough depth to do it. Character-wise maybe Robby, but his actor is probably the weakest in the main cast and I can't imagine watching a whole season focusing on him.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Chozen is in the trailer flipping over Daniel-san...I predicted or was hoping that Chozen ends up marrying Kumiko after her failed dancing school. I think she just wanted a collection of Chozen's shirts.

Barnes should come back so Daniel-san can once and for all beat the crap out of him. People think Barnes kicked the crap out of Larusso in Part 3, but he was obviously rope-a-doping.

I think the secret Miyagi had was that Daniel-san got Kumiko pregnant but kept it a secret from Daniel. If you watch Karate Kid III, when Daniel was talking to his mom, you can see Miyagi had sad/regretful reaction when Daniel told her mom that Kumiko isn't coming. She had a great job offer in Tokyo. Seriously Tokyo offering a job to her seems very farfetch.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Chozen is in the trailer flipping over Daniel-san...I predicted or was hoping that Chozen ends up marrying Kumiko after her failed dancing school. I think she just wanted a collection of Chozen's shirts.

Barnes should come back so Daniel-san can once and for all beat the crap out of him. People think Barnes kicked the crap out of Larusso in Part 3, but he was obviously rope-a-doping.

I think the secret Miyagi had was that Daniel-san got Kumiko pregnant but kept it a secret from Daniel. If you watch Karate Kid III, when Daniel was talking to his mom, you can see Miyagi had sad/regretful reaction when Daniel told her mom that Kumiko isn't coming. She had a great job offer in Tokyo. Seriously Tokyo offering a job to her seems very farfetch.

So you’re saying the little Asian kid who was dancing at Moons party is actually Daniel’s son? Awesome!

I still never finished watching KK3 - the bad guys were just too evil for me to handle.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Aisha was written out of season 3 and the actress didn't seem happy about it, so I don't think she'll be getting a show.

Or maybe that’s what they want you to think!!!!

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
So you’re saying the little Asian kid who was dancing at Moons party is actually Daniel’s son? Awesome!

I still never finished watching KK3 - the bad guys were just too evil for me to handle.

No Daniel's kid is in Okinawa, that's the secret...He will find out when he goes back there

famicommander

15 Year Member

Did you ever watch Next Karate Kid with the weird ass high school paramilitary karate security force?