Dune trailer

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The thread that can be many places at once.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I watched the spicediver cut, thanks. It was great compared to the De Laurentiis cut. As for the 1984 version of Dune, even though it felt extremely campy, it was honest to its time. It was not nostalgic, and the problem I have with the new Dune, or Nune, is how nostalgia driven it is. We have seen so much nostaligia driving the media products lately. Stranger things, for example, is totally nostalgia. Nic Cage's Mandy, and more. The very use of old 80s songs, 2049's resampling of Vangelis - what's the point? Why aren't these guys making new stuff?

I'm sure Nune will do just fine, but I really hope that it isn't going to remix some 80s music from Pink Floyd like the trailer shows. Am I the only one sick of nostalgia wave?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I watched the spicediver cut, thanks. It was great compared to the De Laurentiis cut. As for the 1984 version of Dune, even though it felt extremely campy, it was honest to its time. It was not nostalgic, and the problem I have with the new Dune, or Nune, is how nostalgia driven it is. We have seen so much nostaligia driving the media products lately. Stranger things, for example, is totally nostalgia. Nic Cage's Mandy, and more. The very use of old 80s songs, 2049's resampling of Vangelis - what's the point? Why aren't these guys making new stuff?

I'm sure Nune will do just fine, but I really hope that it isn't going to remix some 80s music from Pink Floyd like the trailer shows. Am I the only one sick of nostalgia wave?

The Pink Floyd song in the trailer was simply an homage to Alejandro Jodorowski's acid trip unmade Dune film, which was intended to be 10 hours long and have Pink Floyd do the soundtrack. The new movie will have an original score from Hans Zimmer

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The Pink Floyd song in the trailer was simply an homage to Alejandro Jodorowski's acid trip unmade Dune film,
He needn't have bothered, with how much Jodorowsky has been slamming the trailer and the idea of Villenueve making a Hollywood Dune movie in general.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I would not say I am sick of the nostalgia wave though it’s getting a bit heavy handed (S3 Stranger Things in particular.)

I am fine with media just being for fun consumption, popcorn flicks, etc which is what I would consider most of this nostalgia stuff.

That said I do appreciate when someone or a group have a vision and really put something special together and create a real work of art.

It would be a shame if a real work of art got saddled down with some nostalgia bullshit just because some Suit analyzed that its inclusion would increase profitability by 2.5%

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I definitely agree that we've been choking on our own nostalgia for a while now.

But, also, Dark Side of the Moon came out in 1973, man.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Pink Floyd song in the trailer was simply an homage to Alejandro Jodorowski's acid trip unmade Dune film, which was intended to be 10 hours long and have Pink Floyd do the soundtrack. The new movie will have an original score from Hans Zimmer

I am ambivalent about everything Hans Zimmer has done. He has the deepest catalogue of forgettable scores.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
There are people who didn't immediately bail on Stranger Things forever after watching the second season??

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I definitely agree that we've been choking on our own nostalgia for a while now.

But, also, Dark Side of the Moon came out in 1973, man.

I was never into that boomer music.

But I do love phantom of the paradise.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
He needn't have bothered, with how much Jodorowsky has been slamming the trailer and the idea of Villenueve making a Hollywood Dune movie in general.

I haven't seen this. I was worried Jodo was on his deathbed. He used to post on Twitter all the time, but hasn't been active for a year or two.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I haven't seen this. I was worried Jodo was on his deathbed. He used to post on Twitter all the time, but hasn't been active for a year or two.
Maybe he doesn't have time for twitter, now that he's supposedly working on a new movie.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Finished reading the first book today. Fantastic stuff, and it's easy to see why the 1984 film and the TV miniseries failed to capture its essence. The book is very densely packed and it has a lot of moving parts. The only thing I thought was weird was how they made a point out of Paul adopting the sons of Jamis, but it never really led anywhere. Their mother features prominently in the rest of the book but they do absolutely nothing after their first appearance.

Onto Dune Messiah.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Finished reading the first book today. Fantastic stuff, and it's easy to see why the 1984 film and the TV miniseries failed to capture its essence. The book is very densely packed and it has a lot of moving parts. The only thing I thought was weird was how they made a point out of Paul adopting the sons of Jamis, but it never really led anywhere. Their mother features prominently in the rest of the book but they do absolutely nothing after their first appearance.

Onto Dune Messiah.
Dune Messiah is an interesting one, but I wonder what they'll do with it if these Villenueve movies of the first book actually do well. Because Messiah is a strong contender for being the most uncinematic story ever written.

The first book may be tough to adapt because it's so long, so dense and has a lot of internal stuff that somehow needs to be conveyed to the audience. For that stuff, I don't know how you're going to beat Lynch's solution of just letting us hear various characters' thoughts (mostly Paul, but also Jessica, Kynes, etc.). But there's also action, a lot of visual spectacle, etc.

With Messiah, though, 98% of the book is either standing and talking, sitting and talking, or thinking. You'd have an easier time turning it into a stage play than a movie. In some ways, it's more interesting than the first novel. But it's not a visual story at all. There's zero reason to turn it into a movie, other than to bridge movies of the first and third books.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Dune Messiah is an interesting one, but I wonder what they'll do with it if these Villenueve movies of the first book actually do well. Because Messiah is a strong contender for being the most uncinematic story ever written.

The first book may be tough to adapt because it's so long, so dense and has a lot of internal stuff that somehow needs to be conveyed to the audience. For that stuff, I don't know how you're going to beat Lynch's solution of just letting us hear various characters' thoughts (mostly Paul, but also Jessica, Kynes, etc.). But there's also action, a lot of visual spectacle, etc.

With Messiah, though, 98% of the book is either standing and talking, sitting and talking, or thinking. You'd have an easier time turning it into a stage play than a movie. In some ways, it's more interesting than the first novel. But it's not a visual story at all. There's zero reason to turn it into a movie, other than to bridge movies of the first and third books.

Dunetown
By Lars von Trier

famicommander

15 Year Member
My copy of Dune Messiah says "book three in the magnificent Dune Chronicles" on the cover of it. Weird as fuck, because this is definitely the second book in the series.

Anyway, just barely getting started with it. About 30 pages in, but this book is like half as long as Dune so it shouldn't take too long.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Movie got pushed back to 2021.

Good. Movie theater chains are closing for the year anyway so it's for the best. Looks like a big screen film anyway and there is no way this film could recoup the investment or be an even remotely satisfying experience otherwise.

I want to see this movie on a big screen in a crowded theater. I'll wait.

Also, they shouldn't have changed it from 'jihad' to 'crusade'.

Using either term is weird, anyway. Just say 'holy war' if you're going to change the term. It's more ubiquitous and not tied down to real world religious concepts and terminology.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Delayed a whole year to next October? Fuck me.

Meanwhile China had two movies open with $150M+ each this past weekend. Makes me wonder how Hollywood will approach China now.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Toto soundtrack was instrumental, that's why it worked. The trailer was so fucking cheesey... the music is to blame.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Good. Movie theater chains are closing for the year anyway so it's for the best. Looks like a big screen film anyway and there is no way this film could recoup the investment or be an even remotely satisfying experience otherwise.

Using either term is weird, anyway. Just say 'holy war' if you're going to change the term. It's more ubiquitous and not tied down to real world religious concepts and terminology.

Moving away from jihad probably aimed at quelling the eventual discussion of the middle eastern conflict, the Cold War, and sustaining corporate economic interests at the expense of dehumanized lives.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member

I don't see how your average movie goer ( Marvel fan) will enjoy an accurate movie of Messiah. They will have to blatantly inject in action... and more mainstream ideas of romance.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member

I've heard the script uses both jihad and crusade interchangeably.