Dune trailer

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Even though Ashur was a constant cunt, he was one of my favorite characters. Just so consistent in his treachery. He sold out his brother. He treated objects like people.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
It's conversations like this that help me point people to Spartacus.

They'll be like 'Oh, I know why YOU like it' despite my NEVER displaying any libidinous attitudes about the things I like.

These characters are great. They all have complexities and interesting motivations.

It really better than it had any right to be.

I'm ready for that Crassus/Caeser series. Or even a Gannicus series showing what he did after he earned his Rudis. Don't know what Dustin Clare is up to these days, but he had good action chops and his character bore a heavy burden that didn't get resolved until close to his death. It could give some real emotional weight to certain scenarios.

Peter Mensah was pretty awesome as Oenemaeus, also.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It's conversations like this that help me point people to Spartacus.

They'll be like 'Oh, I know why YOU like it' despite my NEVER displaying any libidinous attitudes about the things I like.

These characters are great. They all have complexities and interesting motivations.

It really better than it had any right to be.

I'm ready for that Crassus/Caeser series. Or even a Gannicus series showing what he did after he earned his Rudis. Don't know what Dustin Clare is up to these days, but he had good action chops and his character bore a heavy burden that didn't get resolved until close to his death. It could give some real emotional weight to certain scenarios.

Peter Mensah was pretty awesome as Oenemaeus, also.

It was an ensemble cast with so much potential for spin offs. Not the last time STARZ would leave treasure on the table.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Hollywood is so obsessed with its tentpole strategy that it could be hurting them, in my uneducated opinion. They had everything lined up around these blockbusters, so when covid came around, it fucked the whole thing up like dominos. I get that they want to space out their surest hits, but I think it's kinda silly to adhere so strictly to the schedule and delay nearly finished movies by a full year. Will people really not go see Movie A because they just saw Movie B last month, instead of last quarter?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The delaying tactic regarding Dune seems to be an attempt to make a profit and establish a franchise.

Can't do that when many theaters aren't open, those that are limit seating capacity and staff is reduced at the box office to allow for social distancig.

This film was clearly made to be a blockbuster in a pre-covid world. Without the ability to pack theatera and cash in on concessions, the film will be a bust for the industry as a whole.

I don't blame them for delaying it. I'm glad they are.

fake

15 Year Member
The delaying tactic regarding Dune seems to be an attempt to make a profit and establish a franchise.

Can't do that when many theaters aren't open, those that are limit seating capacity and staff is reduced at the box office to allow for social distancig.

This film was clearly made to be a blockbuster in a pre-covid world. Without the ability to pack theatera and cash in on concessions, the film will be a bust for the industry as a whole.

That's true about the franchise. I just don't think the spacing out of blockbusters - regardless of covid - makes a ton of sense. I get the need for more movies during the summer because kids are out of school, but beyond that, I dunno.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
If you can only have 25 percent capacity, it's only 25 percent gate, concessions and buzz. Those that don't get to see it early will likely not bother. Movies like this are essentially events. People are too easily distracted and will just find something else they can be 'first' to. Timing is a concern not just for studios and theater chains but audiences as well.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

I'm not sure theaters will still even be around in the US by the time covid is done with. Wasn't there a major chain that just said they were packing it in after the announcement of the latest Bond delay a couple days ago?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm not sure theaters will still even be around in the US by the time covid is done with. Wasn't there a major chain that just said they were packing it in after the announcement of the latest Bond delay a couple days ago?

Unless I'm mistaken, theaters have been on the decline for some time now, I think the covid thing just put the nail in the coffin. With home viewing options getting better and better, home audio being more and more affordable, and streaming services, there's a lot of people just don't want to dick around with the theater anymore. In 20 years my wife and I went from near weekly theater movie watchers to possibly seeing one in the theater a year, sometimes less.

fake

15 Year Member
Unless I'm mistaken, theaters have been on the decline for some time now, I think the covid thing just put the nail in the coffin. With home viewing options getting better and better, home audio being more and more affordable, and streaming services, there's a lot of people just don't want to dick around with the theater anymore. In 20 years my wife and I went from near weekly theater movie watchers to possibly seeing one in the theater a year, sometimes less.

I think they finally got a wakeup call 5 years or so ago. Almost all of the theaters near me pulled out all the shitty seats and replaced them with super comfy recliners. There are way fewer tickets to sell, but it does make me feel like I'm getting less ripped off when I'm super comfortable and far away from the next group of friends in the theater. They've also been doing something I've been wanting forever, which is to screen old movies. I've seen a handful of Ghibli movies in the theater, plus some old ones like Close Encounters and Alien. I don't know how much of an impact these moves have actually had, but they do make it seem like theaters are moving in the right direction, at least for the customers.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member

You're probably thinking of Regal Cinema and as of right now, it's not a permanent closure.

That could always change, but the pandemic has created a chain reaction that could be lethal for cinemas.

Very few movies are being shot right now, but television, especially on streaming services, is plugging along while accommodating the occasional shutdowns for Covid outbreaks on set here and there.

Even if theaters reopen...what arw they going to show? Likely low budget rom-coms (Jennifer Aniston should get plenty of work), family film re-released, dramas and the like. None of these are going to be blockbusters but their low production costs will make them profitable. A lot of 40-60 million budget films with cheap crews and first time directors will flood the market to grease thebwheels. A lot of shitty cinema is in our near future.

Films like Dune will be the veritable 'shot in the arm's, an ace up the sleeve to really acknowledge 'the return of cinema'.

That's the likely strategy, anyway.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It would be great if all the actors from the marvel movies keep filming movies right now

and contract covid and die.

just saying we need more of their work.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Finished off Dune Messiah. Took me a bit longer than the first novel, just because I had less free time.

It's just as good as the first. Onto the third, Children of Dune. Already about 30 pages in.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Finished off Dune Messiah. Took me a bit longer than the first novel, just because I had less free time.

It's just as good as the first. Onto the third, Children of Dune. Already about 30 pages in.

One of my fave Dune Messiah moments is Chani bitching to Paul about wearing an old Atreides dress tunic.

"Well, even an emperor has his favorite clothes" or something to that extent.

:lolz:

*edit* It also shows what a complete horror show it would be to be prescient

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
One of my fave Dune Messiah moments is Chani bitchng to Paul about wearing an old Atreides dress tunic.

"Well, even an emperor has his favorite clothes" or something to that extent.

:lolz:

*edit* It also shows what a complete horror show it would be to be prescient

I like how Paul just shrugs it off and starts barking orders after he gets his eyeballs melted out of their sockets.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Finished Children of Dune last night. It's really fantastic; every bit as good as the original Dune. As far as the first three novels go, this series is much better than Lord of the Rings or any other famous series I have read.

Onto God Emperor of Dune.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I saw the Dune pt 2 trailer when I went to see Batman: Return of Michael Keaton yesterday. It looks just as boring as the first. Not sure what to expect. Are you excited, fami?

edit: I bumped the wrong Dune thread. Oh well.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I saw the Dune pt 2 trailer when I went to see Batman: Return of Michael Keaton yesterday. It looks just as boring as the first. Not sure what to expect. Are you excited, fami?

edit: I bumped the wrong Dune thread. Oh well.
Honestly, you're telling the truth on Dune. I watched it at home (so that might be part of the reason I didn't find it that interesting), I ended up looking at my phone for the first half of the movie or so and then finished the last half while paying attention and I don't feel like I missed any details.

First one was great, excited for the second. I love all the marvel movie lovers hating on this film, we dont want you in the theater anyway simpleton.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
marvel movie lovers hating

Nope.

Not even a tangent.

I don't feel that strongly for or against Marvel/DC/etc.

I feel people can dislike a film and not have to be a fan of something else seen as the opposite.

right?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
@famicommander we need you to weigh in on this. Tell us it's going to be the best sequel ever made since Empire Strikes Back or Dark Knight or something.

(hot take: Dark Knight is only good when Heath Ledger is in the scene, lots of useless dialogue in that movie otherwise).

famicommander

15 Year Member
Dark Knight sucks shit as do all Nolan films.

I expect this movie to be good like every other Villeneuve movie. It's less a sequel than it is simply the second half of the same story. Maybe not a huge distinction but an important one.

Kinda bummed Harah has been cut from the adaptation as she was with the previous two. She's an underrated character from the books.